The simFlight Network Forums

Duplicate assignments in .ini file

Hi Pete

I am using FSUIPC in FS9 to assign/calibrate a yoke; throttle quad; and rudder pedals.

I have just got a new yoke (Saitek) to replace my old CH yoke. I have the auto assign letters set to NO in the ini file. The joynames section looks like this:

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
1=CH THROTTLE QUADRANT
1.GUID={ADB870E0-5B98-11E4-8009-444553540000}
T=CH THROTTLE QUADRANT
R=CH PRO PEDALS USB
Y=CH FLIGHT SIM YOKE USB << MISSING JOYSTICK >>
J=Saitek X52 Flight Control System
S=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
2=CH PRO PEDALS USB
2.GUID={ADB870E0-5B98-11E4-8008-444553540000}
0=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
0.GUID={4D2F9FE0-8C95-11E4-8001-444553540000}

I have begun new assignments for the Saitek yoke. My question is : is there any need to delete the old assignments/calibration for the CH yoke first ?  I am assuming the answer is no, as the joynames section reports missing joystick (as it is not plugged in), and therefore will ignore any of the old assignments. But is there any other reason why I should delete the old CH assignments first ?

Thanks.

Let me sort the line order out so we can see what is going on.

I take it these three are still in use, with assignments?

0=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke

0.GUID={4D2F9FE0-8C95-11E4-8001-444553540000}

S=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke

1=CH THROTTLE QUADRANT
1.GUID={ADB870E0-5B98-11E4-8009-444553540000}
T=CH THROTTLE QUADRANT

2=CH PRO PEDALS USB

2.GUID={ADB870E0-5B98-11E4-8008-444553540000}

R=CH PRO PEDALS USB

They look okay except, oddly, the R.GUID, S.GUID and T.GUID lines are missing. The names are unique so it doesn't matter a lot, but I'm wondering why they aren't there. The GUIDs are used to distinguish between devices with the same name.

This one is very odd. Looks like it has no assignments and is not connected either. What is the history of this one?

J=Saitek X52 Flight Control System

And this is evidently the one now no longer used, but which has some assignments.

Y=CH FLIGHT SIM YOKE USB << MISSING JOYSTICK >>

My question is : is there any need to delete the old assignments/calibration for the CH yoke first ?  I am assuming the answer is no, as the joynames section reports missing joystick (as it is not plugged in), and therefore will ignore any of the old assignments. But is there any other reason why I should delete the old CH assignments first ?

No real need. It would be clearer in case any later changes proved troublesome -- the unused entries would just confuse. When using Letters at least FSUIPC knows to ignore the ones which are missing. When only the numeric IDs are used it doesn't know this and can get silly values for axis inputs.

Pete

The J=Saitek X52 Flight Control System is a joystick which I only use when flying the Aisimmer Airbus A320. It indeed has asignments specifically for the airbus. It was not plugged in prior to me copying the joynames section.

Thanks for confirming that there is no need to delete old assignments, but I can appreciate what you mean about too many entries being confusing should I have to troubleshoot an issue later on.