The simFlight Network Forums

Send direct to FSUIPC calibration vs. Send to FS as normal Axis

I don't understand the difference between this booth options on axis asignment.

On booth variants, I'm able to calibrate the joystick axis via FSUIPC. So where is the big difference?

Sending direct to FSUIPC is more efficient.  The axis value is fed directly into the calibration option and only after the value has been manipulated there is is sent on to FS for action.

Sending as a normal FS control is no different to what assignment in FS itself does. It sends the input value to FS, and the calibration, if enabled, operates by intercepting the value FROM FS before it is actioned. This is the original way FSUIPC calibration always worked, before axis assignment facilities were added. The method is retained because some add-on aircraft do not work correctly if you use the "direct" method because they like to see the actual FS control at a higher level, above where FSUIPC's intercept operates.

Pete

Hello Pete! Thanx for explaination.

But for example: PMDG says: "The PMDG 737NGX is fully compatible with FSUIPC except that we recommend that you do not calibrate your flight controllers through FSUIPC."

So what does it mean? This is only regarding the calibration itself? Whether I'm using "direct to FSUIPC" or "Normal axis" is the same in this case?

Hello Pete! Thanx for explaination.

But for example: PMDG says: "The PMDG 737NGX is fully compatible with FSUIPC except that we recommend that you do not calibrate your flight controllers through FSUIPC."

So what does it mean? This is only regarding the calibration itself? Whether I'm using "direct to FSUIPC" or "Normal axis" is the same in this case?

I do not use PMDG aircraft, but I think they are one of the problem add-on aircraft I mentioned, and for some of the aircraft controls they intercept the FS controls at the same sort of level as FSUIPC, and therefore use the uncalibrated values. If you calibrate in FSUIPC as well, then two different values get sent and this can cause conflict in the aircraft.

Also, because they take these values early, using FSUIPC's "direct to calibration" method may well bypass the add-on aircraft interception at the level they want it.

All this is mere speculation on my part based on folks reports here from time to time. You need to choose the method which works best for you and your controls.

Pete