The simFlight Network Forums

Older Version of FSUIPC

I'm sorry to bother you about this but since I installed v3.06 on my FS2002 system, my PSS DASH-8 and A-320 will not function properly. I am told that I should use v2.95. Since a disaster drive crash a week ago I know longer have v2.95 and I was wondering if you could help me out. Note: I am a registered user of v3.06. (if that makes any difference)...

Thanks!

I'm sorry to bother you about this but since I installed v3.06 on my FS2002 system, my PSS DASH-8 and A-320 will not function properly. I am told that I should use v2.95. Since a disaster drive crash a week ago I know longer have v2.95 and I was wondering if you could help me out. Note: I am a registered user of v3.06. (if that makes any difference)...

With a registered version 3 .xx there should be no difference whatsoever between it and 2.95 (which is from last year!) as far as FS2002 and your aircraft are concerned!

Going back to an older version (expecially 6 or 7 versions before 3.00!) helps no one. Can you please identify exactly what the problem is so it can be investigated? Who tells you to use version 2.95 and why?

Regards,

Pete

I am sorry to disagree with you Peter, but here is my case:

I was using FS2002 Pro with PSS DASH-8 and A-320 with FSUIPC v2.95 for over a year and everything ran perfectly. I then had a drive crash and had to reinstall everything. I did so and I installed FS2002 pro EXACTLY the way it was intalled prior to my drive crash EXCEPT I had to use FSUIPC 3.06 as it's all I could find. After installing FSUIPC 3.06 I then installed my PSS DASH-8 and A-320. And I have been having problems since. The problems are as follows:

1.) When loading up any of my PSS products my frames rates never go beyond 9fps UNTIL I open the FSUIPC 3.06 module and the click register and then cancel out. After this, my frame rates run perfectly at 40fps. I can reproduce this EVERY SINGLE TIME. (I've written to you about this a few days ago). I can live with that. But...

2.)..when flying the DASH-8, as soon as I press the AP in heading or NAV mode, the plane starts to bank left then right then left and right etc.. It never stops this banking back and forth until I disengage the AP. It's like it gets confused! Now, I have been flying the DASH-8 for many months and I know how to fly it and I am sure this is not "user error".

Ok, so those are the issues I WAS having until I finally found a copy of v2.97 of FSUIPC and intalled it and suddenly ALL my problems went away and my DASH8 and A-320 run perfectly.

Now, I want to mention that I am also using a Cirrus Yoke and throttle quadrent for Precision Flight Controls. Could this have anything to do with it? They all seem to work fine under either version of FSUIPC.

Hope this helps....

Scott

I am sorry to disagree with you Peter

How can you disagree with a statement that says that a registered 3.xx SHOULD work as 2.9xx did in FS2002? That was/is my aim, it is up to me to say whether it SHOULD work or not, isn't it? How can you disagree with that? :cry:

When loading up any of my PSS products my frames rates never go beyond 9fps UNTIL I open the FSUIPC 3.06 module and the click register and then cancel out. After this, my frame rates run perfectly at 40fps.

This has been reported already, and is fixed in FSUIPC 3.09 (released tomorrow), but it should only apply to an UNREGISTERED copy of FSUIPC. The problem is entirely due to the continuous retry attempts being made by part of the PSS panel to obtain data which it cannot from an unregistered copy.

If you still get such a problem with a registered copy, please send me the FSUIPC Log file.

I can reproduce this EVERY SINGLE TIME. (I've written to you about this a few days ago).

Yes, and I wrote back, the same day or the next, that I had found the reason and am fixing it in the next release, which is imminent.

2.)..when flying the DASH-8, as soon as I press the AP in heading or NAV mode, the plane starts to bank left then right then left and right etc.. It never stops this banking back and forth until I disengage the AP. It's like it gets confused! Now, I have been flying the DASH-8 for many months and I know how to fly it and I am sure this is not "user error".

Okay. this is a problem that most certainly has not been reported before. And it needs to be looked at and fixed, for sure. If you don't report it and simply backtrack to a year old version of FSUIPC instead, then how on Earth can it ever be fixed? If everyone did that I might as well close up shop and stop right now!

This is why I asked you for details! Version 3.xx should NOT make such a difference. In fact it should not be getting anywhere near any autopilot by itself.

Ok, so those are the issues I WAS having until I finally found a copy of v2.97 of FSUIPC and intalled it and suddenly ALL my problems went away and my DASH8 and A-320 run perfectly.

But you said you had to use 2.95, which is much older, from last year in fact?! I'm getting confused now. :?

Now, I want to mention that I am also using a Cirrus Yoke and throttle quadrent for Precision Flight Controls. Could this have anything to do with it? They all seem to work fine under either version of FSUIPC.

Oh, dear. When you changed to version 3.xx of FSUIPC, did you also change to the latest version of PFC.DLL? If not, that is almost certainly the reason. I updated all my modules together in that period, and they are very interdependent!

If you are going to swap back and forth please remember to do so with PFC and FSUIPC drivers together.

Let me know please. I really do need reports and details of problems if there are problems. Merely saying "this only works with 2.9 blah blah" and not allowing things to be checked out and fixed is really very upsetting for me.

:cry:

Pete

Peter,

I am sorry if I came off the wrong way. I certainly did not mean to offend you as I know you have worked very hard on FSUIPC and it's a great addition, in fact a "must have" for any serious flight simmer. Just to clarify, I AM reporting these problems to you in this forum, not just reverting back to an older version, as I want to help in anyway that I can. However, I also like using my PSS products too. So if they work on an older version of FSUIPC then that's what I will use until you have a chance to look at it but in the mean time I would be happy to assist in any way that I can.

Answers to your last post:

- I said that I WAS using 2.95 prior to a drive crash, I have since found a copy of 2.97 as I could not find 2.95 anywhere.

- When I installed v3.06 I did update to the latest PFC.DLL as well.

- I thought that I was giving you details. If you could let me know exactly what you would like for me to get you in order to I would be happy to.

Peter, please understand that I wanted to revert back to an eariler version only to confirm that there was a problem, not to avoid the problem.

Also, this apperantly is not an isolated problem as I have received e-mails with people having exactly the same issues.

I thought that I was giving you details. If you could let me know exactly what you would like for me to get you in order to I would be happy to.

First, if you are still getting that terrible slow down, even with the registered copy of FSUIPC, then my fix for this in 3.09, which I was planning to release tomorrow, won't work. So I need an FSUIPC.LOG of when this is occurring, including the part, some time into it please, where pressing "register" and cancelling out appears to fix it. If you could enable IPC read and write logging first it may also help. I also need to know which actual "Register" button you press.

Second, I will need to be able to reproduce that odd Dash 8 a/p behaviour to see what is going on. I don't think a log will help there, but I could do with seeing both your FSUIPC.INI and your PFC.INI files please. You can ZIP and post everything to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Thanks.

Also, this apperantly is not an isolated problem as I have received e-mails with people having exactly the same issues.

Why do they tell you and not me? :?

Regards,

Pete

URGENT

Okay, I've found my PSS Dash 8 (I had it in my archives), and I've installed it inot FS2002. I've not flown it before, and being very used to glass cockpits Boeing style these days, I must admit to having got very confused trying to get the autopilot set up. I note that it does its own thing to some extent, not using the FS one. Fair enough.

Now you said this:

when flying the DASH-8, as soon as I press the AP in heading or NAV mode, the plane starts to bank left then right then left and right etc.. It never stops this banking back and forth until I disengage the AP.

I've got the Dash 8 cruising now in heading select mode. It acquired the heading I set smoothly and is holding it well. This is with FSUIPC 3.08 (well 3.08 and a bit, actually -- it's the 3.09 I would have been releasing tomorrow and still might if we can resolve this quickly). Now, how do I make it exhibit this alternate banking please? Is there something else I need to set?

I really do need to reproduce it to find it, as at present I've no idea whatsoever what could do this, especially with an aircraft which has its own autopilot, which FSUIPC can't even participate in.

Perhaps you can get the Dash 8 into such a state on your PC, please, then save a Flight, ZIP it up (with your FSUIPC and PFC.INI files please), and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com. I'd be very grateful. This needs resolving, and at present, even with the PSS aircraft here on my PC, I am completely at a loss.

Thanks,

Pete

Scott,

In your very first post in this thread you said "Note: I am a registered user of v3.06." Did you really mean this?

I am suspecting that your FSUIPC is not registered. One glance at a Log would show me one way of the other.

I tell you why I think this:

1. You complain of a slow down when running the PSS aircraft. I mentioned I found that, where an aircraft gauge persistently attempts to link to an unregistered FSUIPC, the retries are costly in performance terms. I have improved this action in 3.09, which was ready to go out tomorrow, but there's no change I can make to a registered FSUIPC because the retries don't even occur then! So it does seem as if your FSUIPC 3.xx is not registered from that standpoint.

2. You complain that the PSS Dash-8 is not acquiring heading (and NAV) hold correctly. In fact, from my experiments here, it looks like it uses FSUIPC's interface to manipulate this, and, of course, with an unregistered FSUIPC it isn't able to do so.

I've just tried this. I removed my FSUIPC.KEY file, ran the exact same test as I mentioned in my previous post, andthe aircraft tends to turn away from the selected heading, not towards it. It certainly cannot lock to it.

I logged what is actually does with a registered copy. It actually controls the aileron and elevator through using FSUIPC facilities! It cannot do this with an unregistered FSUIPC!

Soall your symptoms seem to add up to an unregistered copy of FSUIPC 3. Which I would have suggested in the first place had you not specifically said that you'd registered it!

Can you please, please clarify? This matter is driving me nuts. I have folks waiting for 3.09's release, so I think I shall have to assume my diagnosis is correct and go ahead.

If you think you registered, but aren't sure, I can easily check from a Log file.

Regards,

Pete