The simFlight Network Forums

Duplicate file error message

Hopefully posting in the proper thread this time.  Yesterday I updated my paid version of FSUIPC and started getting a message on opening FSX that there was a duplicate running.  This is while installing FSUIPC4 4.944.  Have run task manager and found no open instances.  Tried deleting all FSUIPC stuff out of my modules folder and that didn't work.  The error message doesn't complete.  It ends by saying "if there are no duplicates please use task manager to check that the..."  and ends with "the".  

Running FSX with acceleration,Vista Ultimate w/sp 2, AMD Phenom II X4 970, 3.5 GHz 8 GB Ram, 64 bit os, FSX, GSX,  RC, REX Tex Dir & Soft clouds, ASNext, PMDG 737/47/777

Jeff Even

Hopefully posting in the proper thread this time.  Yesterday I updated my paid version of FSUIPC and started getting a message on opening FSX that there was a duplicate running.  This is while installing FSUIPC4 4.944.

While installing FSUIPC? There's no possibility of such a message originating from the installer! It simply places the updated module in the Modules folder (creating it if necessary) and installs updated documentation and other goodies in the FSUIPC Documents subfolder.

Please explain more carefully exactly what you see and when you see it.

Note that the Installer creates a Log showing every step it takes. It is called  FSUIPC4 Install.log and you'll find a copy in the Modules folder and also next t the Installer itself, wherever you ran that. Please view that Log or paste it here so I can help you and reassure you that the installation was good or otherwise.

There are two checks made when FSUIPC4 is run -- i.e. when you start FSX. Nothing to do with the Installer. The messages which can arise then are one of these:

There seems to be duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed,
or another running still in memory!
Please remove older copies!
Never simply rename modules,
move them OUT of the Modules folder!
If there are no duplicates please use Task Manager
to check that the previous run has not left
an FS process running

There are duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed. Please remove older copies!

Duplicate FSUIPC named XXXX is Version NNNN

This copy (YYYY) will terminate when you select OK.

Pete

The message I get is the first one you showed...

There seems to be duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed,
or another running still in memory!
Please remove older copies!
Never simply rename modules,
move them OUT of the Modules folder!
If there are no duplicates please use Task Manager
to check that the previous run has not left
an FS process running

As I said, I can't find any other copies, open or otherwise, on my system.  Have done several cold restarts and still nothing.  Will not allow me to continue opening FSX.

Jeff

As I said, I can't find any other copies, open or otherwise, on my system.  Have done several cold restarts and still nothing.  Will not allow me to continue opening FSX.

I think you must be looking for the wrong thing. In Task Manager the task will be FSX.EXE, not FSUIPC. FSUIPC is just a module, part of FS, it is NOT a task or a process!

Pete