The simFlight Network Forums

Can Winds Aloft be turned off

Hi Pete,

I am using the registered version of FSUIPC and I know there have been questions about wind smoothing but is it possible to turn winds aloft off totally ? It has gotten to the point where I can no longer fly jets due to violent and sudden changes in the wind direction even with the winds aloft option for FS2004 realweather (or FSMETEO) turned off. FS2004 still generates winds aloft.

Thanks,

Pesi

I am using the registered version of FSUIPC and I know there have been questions about wind smoothing but is it possible to turn winds aloft off totally ?

Not for FS weather, no. I can't get at any of that. I could filter it off if coming from an external program, but really I think it would be better to have that option in the weather program -- after all it would save it a lot of time downloding the stuff in the first place.

It has gotten to the point where I can no longer fly jets due to violent and sudden changes in the wind direction even with the winds aloft option for FS2004 realweather (or FSMETEO) turned off. FS2004 still generates winds aloft.

Really? But surely if it idn't actually downloading winds aloft then the ones it generates won't be conflicting so much? If it does generate upper winds of its own volition I wonder what system it uses? That really is news to me.

I have never actually experienced any such wind problems, but then I fly in Europe. I have reproduced them using FLT+WX files from FS downloads, supplied by others -- most noticeable around the Chicago area. I assume that this is down to conflicting reports from different but closely spaced WX stations, possibly derived from different times of day, but I really would have thought that FS's own interpolation would have smoothed these out.

Certainly it should be possible to get smoother changes using external weather programs, but this does require pre-processing of the data before sending it to FS. I've suggested various methods to try to Marc, for FSMeteo, but I don't know if he's had time to consider these.

Regards,

Pete