The simFlight Network Forums

​Do PFC Throttle Quadrants (USB version) work in P3D v3.1 via fsuipc?

Before investing in the PFC jet throttle quadrant with dedicated reverser levers and the PFC turboprop twin engine throttle quadrant with detents for the beta range, I wanted to make sure that others have been able to get these TQs to work properly in P3D v3.1 using fsuipc in Windows 7.

PFC sales isn’t terribly helpful, and they stress that they do not support P3D and profess a buyer beware attitude. I suspect that their USB TQs will work just fine with P3D but they don’t want to be bothered with supporting the required fsuipc configuration. In this regard, there is an October 2014 post in the Avsim forum that indicates that they should work. See http://www.avsim.com/topic/449386-pfc-throttle-quadrant-not-working-in-p3d-v23/

I was hoping that Pete (who I think uses the serial version of PFC hardware but who may have some experience with the USB TQ devices) or some others who actually use the PFC USB TQs might be able to give me some reassurance. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

I was hoping that Pete (who I think uses the serial version of PFC hardware but who may have some experience with the USB TQ devices) or some others who actually use the PFC USB TQs might be able to give me some reassurance. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

No, I don't have any PFC standard USB devices, only serial port ones and some cockpit MIP units they did using USB HID protocols (like GoFlight stuff, USB but not standard joysticks).

ANY standard USB joystick type device, recognised by Windows as such, should work fine with all programs which accept standard Windows joystick inputs. That goes for all the games out there as well as all the flight simulators. If P3D has any problems with joysticks, which it has had, it applies to all of them, not specifically to PFC or any other make. Saitek only gets mentioned specifically more often because they probably sell the most, that's all.

Problems in P3D version 3 are gradually being resolved and as far as I know there are none now outstanding for joystick devices. 

Pete

Thanks, Pete. I very much appreciate your prompt input.

Now, I'd like to hear from anyone who is actually using the PFC USB TQs, and learn if they have any tips for setting them up with fsuipc. No one seems to post about this, and perhaps that indicates that it's really trouble free, which I hope is the case.

Thanks,

Robert

Now, I'd like to hear from anyone who is actually using the PFC USB TQs, and learn if they have any tips for setting them up with fsuipc. No one seems to post about this, and perhaps that indicates that it's really trouble free, which I hope is the case.

The setting up of quadrants depends much more on what aircraft you are intending to use with them than what utility you use to "set them up". There are several different ways in FSUIPC alone, and which is best depends on the add-on aircraft. PMDG Boeings and Aerosoft Airbuses in particular need different methods to default and simpler add-on aircraft. for instance.

So really you are unlikely to get a useful answer without posting details of your preferred aircraft (The Profile facilities in FSUIPC can of course be used to set them up differently for each aircraft or type of aircraft you use).

Pete

you are unlikely to get a useful answer without posting details of your preferred aircraft.

In that case, here's what I'm most concerned about:

1. Will the PFC USB turboprop TQ work with the Real Air Turbo Duke v2 and the Majestic Q400? I am most interested in the ability to use fsuipc to program the detents built into the TQ for the beta range.

2. Will the PFC USB two-engine enhanced jet TQ work with the PMDG 737 and 777 and the Aerosoft Airbus? I am most interested in the ability to use fsuipc to program the TQ's dedicated reverser levers.

Thanks,

Robert

In that case, here's what I'm most concerned about:

1. Will the PFC USB turboprop TQ work with the Real Air Turbo Duke v2 and the Majestic Q400? I am most interested in the ability to use fsuipc to program the detents built into the TQ for the beta range.

2. Will the PFC USB two-engine enhanced jet TQ work with the PMDG 737 and 777 and the Aerosoft Airbus? I am most interested in the ability to use fsuipc to program the TQ's dedicated reverser levers.

I don't know about 1, but I do know that the PMDG Boeings, and possibly the Aerosoft Airbus, do not support reverser on an axis. They don't obey the older throttle controls which have a reverser range.  Most folks deal with it by using a button to do "throttle decr" repeatedly instead -- the action by default programmed onto the F2 keypress.

Those specific aircraft are probably the worst ones to try to build a realistic hardware setup around.

Pete

Pete, thanks for this important info. Let me make sure I understand what you’re saying about the PMDG and Airbus aircraft.

I think you’re saying that I won’t be able to assign fsuipc’s reverser axis command (in the pull down command list on the left side of the axis assignment window) to the dedicated reverser levers on the PFC USB TQ. Instead, I will have to use P3D’s F2 key command.

Here’s how I would anticipate utilizing this F2 command. Please let me know if this is what you have in mind.

I would go to fsuipc’s Axis Assignment window and move the TQ’s dedicated reverser lever for Throttle 1 to select it. Then, in the right side area of the fsuipc window, I would setup a range for the upper part of the lever and assign it to the Throttle 1 Cut command in the pull down list. Then, I would setup a second range for the lower part of the lever and assign it to the Throttle 1 Decr command in the pull down list and have it repeat if found to be necessary. Then, I would repeat this process for the Throttle 2 reverser lever using the Throttle 2 commands.

In this way I can utilize the PFC USB TQ’s dedicated reverser levers as though I’d assigned a reverser axis command to them. Am I on track?

Thanks,

Robert

I think you’re saying that I won’t be able to assign fsuipc’s reverser axis command (in the pull down command list on the left side of the axis assignment window) to the dedicated reverser levers on the PFC USB TQ. Instead, I will have to use P3D’s F2 key command.

Yes. I don't use any PMDG or Aerosoft aircraft, but that how I understand it from other use

I would go to fsuipc’s Axis Assignment window and move the TQ’s dedicated reverser lever for Throttle 1 to select it. Then, in the right side area of the fsuipc window, I would setup a range for the upper part of the lever and assign it to the Throttle 1 Cut command in the pull down list. Then, I would setup a second range for the lower part of the lever and assign it to the Throttle 1 Decr command in the pull down list and have it repeat if found to be necessary. Then, I would repeat this process for the Throttle 2 reverser lever using the Throttle 2 commands.

Yes, you should be able to make that work.

Pete

Pete, thanks. Now, one more question, since you brought up the Profile facilities in fsuipc a few posts back. I’ve been reluctant to implement this feature because I go way back with fsuipc, and have stuck with using the “aircraft-specific” facilities for each plane in my hangar, which has worked well for me—though a bit tedious when changing hardware. Now that I’m about to change my yoke, pedals, joystick, and TQ, it may be time to reconsider the Profiles facilities you introduced several years ago.

I appreciate that a single set of assignments for levers can work for a defined type of aircraft, e.g., single engine prop, twin engine prop, twin engine turbo, twin engine jet, etc. But what I’ve been concerned about—and what has prevented me from pursuing implementation of fsuipc’s Profile facilities—is how do I handle the unique characteristics of the various planes within these broad categories.

For example, how do I use different slope settings for different aircraft within the same broad category such as twin engine jet? Do I have to setup a new profile for each jet aircraft, based on my default jet profile, and then edit it to include my slope settings for that particular aircraft if it doesn’t follow my default slope settings?

Similarly, how do I customize different button commands for each plane’s popup windows within a broad category? I use my yoke buttons to popup 2D windows using the Shift+n commands. But each plane usually has different popups and different Shift+n assignments for these popups. So, again, do I have to setup a new profile, based on the default profile for that particular type of aircraft, and then edit it to include the specific button settings for that particular aircraft’s popup windows?

Or is there a simpler way to accomplish this customization? If not, then, for me anyway, there seems to be no advantage to using Profiles.

Thanks for your assistance.

Robert

I appreciate that a single set of assignments for levers can work for a defined type of aircraft, e.g., single engine prop, twin engine prop, twin engine turbo, twin engine jet, etc. But what I’ve been concerned about—and what has prevented me from pursuing implementation of fsuipc’s Profile facilities—is how do I handle the unique characteristics of the various planes within these broad categories.

If you do need different assignments or calibrations then you need different Profiles. Broad categories are fine when most of the usual assignments are the same and covered by the generic (non-Profile) assignments -- such as all default and many of the simpler aircraft. Once you get onto the likes of PMDG, Aerosoft Airbus, iFly and FSLabs you have at least those catergories already.

Profiles are really little different from the old Aircraft-Specific assignments. It's just a bit more capable and hopefully more intuitive to use, that's all.

Stick with the old method if you are happy with it.

One thing, added later to the Profiles facility, is the possibility of splitting of each set of profile assignments and calibrations into separate files in a "Profiles" subfolder. This makes the main INI file a lot more handle-able and shows more clearly what you have going. That might be worth considering if you have extensive settings for many aircraft types.

Pete

Pete, thanks for clarifying this for me. While awaiting your response, I ran across your Profiles in Separate Files announcement and think I will give it a try. It is a feature that may make the conversion process worthwhile for me.

Thanks again for the support.

Robert

• 2 months later...

No. You buy either FSUIPC3 or FSUIPC4 (or both of course).  FSUIPC3 works for everything before FSX, FSUIPC4 for everything since and including FSX. You can use it on any number of PCs and any number of Flight Sims you want, provided they are all for your own personal use. The license is to the person, not machine or simulator.

Your config should be the same for P3D if it is on the same PC with the same controls.

Pete