The simFlight Network Forums

Flaps Control 0x0BDC ignoring duplicate values

Hi Pete,

You may have seen one of my DLL users having problems sending values to 0BDC when the value written is same as the previous one.

In his scenario his program is raising the flaps (sending 0) after the flaps have been put down via the keyboard/mouse. Because he's previously written 0 here to raise the flaps on a separate occasion FSUIPC seems to be ignoring the second 0 that he's sending.

I've used the logging to confirm my DLL is sending the 'duplicate' 0.

Is this the way that offset is designed to work?

Thanks,

Paul

In his scenario his program is raising the flaps (sending 0) after the flaps have been put down via the keyboard/mouse. Because he's previously written 0 here to raise the flaps on a separate occasion FSUIPC seems to be ignoring the second 0 that he's sending.

There is code in FSUIPC to improve performance on all axes (and using 0BDC is treating Flaps as an axis -- it uses the Flaps_Set control) by eliminating successive identical settings. Otherwise these can arise in profusion by things like the scaling and smoothing and slopes changes performed in FSUIPC's calibration.

If you only use 0BDC, or only assign Flaps as an axis, there's never a problem, but in this case there is because of the mixing of methods. The same would apply to throttles, spoilers, ailerons, elevators, rudders, mixtures, prop pitches, and brakes..

It has always been this way. I could probably change it for offset writes (as opposed to axis inputs) by deliberately overwriting the last saved value which the "efficiency code" is checking against. This shouldn't be difficult, but it isn't something I can do till I get back from my holiday which starts early tomorrow. I'm back on the 12th April.

I wonder why he's writing to 0BDC in any case?

One way around it is to write a different value first, eg. 1 then 0. That works fine. 

Let me know if you think I should change the code as above. Not sure how easy it is, and, as I say, I couldn't look till mid-April.

Pete