The simFlight Network Forums

Spoilers and Flaps Detent

Dear Mr. Dowson,

I have been a Flight Simmer and MSFS user since 1990. I have purchased several versions of FSUIPC over the years for use with Joysticks and commercially produced hardware. Most recently, I purchased the latest FSUIPC and WIDEFS.

Recently I started building a home cockpit of a Lear 45XR. I have a throttle quadrant built by Throttletek. Obviously I use FSUIPC for the axis connectivity. I use LINDA and Lua for other controls. I am, however, having difficulty with the spoilers and flaps. My hardware uses potentiometers for spoilers and flaps with detents on the hardware.

Most of the tutorials I have found deal with Saitek throttles, prop, mixture, etc. The discussion I have found for flaps is "flap detents" started by speedbird 10, Sep 04 2011. It is most enlightening.

I have searched the User's Guide and the Guide for Advanced Users and cannot find a discussion on the steps to use the Range Assignments (ranges for action) on the Axis Assignment Tab. Can you point to documentation or provide the steps to assign the hardware detents using this capability.

I have purchased several versions of FSUIPC over the years for use with Joysticks and commercially produced hardware. Most recently, I purchased the latest FSUIPC and WIDEFS.

There have only ever been TWO purchasable FSUIPCs -- FSUIPC3 and FSUIPC4. Once you purchase either one then all versions are freely updated as you wish and as expected of you. Same with WideFS -- only WideFS 6 and Wide FS7.

All previous versions of both were free.

I have searched the User's Guide and the Guide for Advanced Users and cannot find a discussion on the steps to use the Range Assignments (ranges for action) on the Axis Assignment Tab. Can you point to documentation or provide the steps to assign the hardware detents using this capability.

First off, WHY do you want to use range assignments?

Also what is so obscure about them? You simply move the lever, make the assignments and so on, for up to 10 separate areas and if needed differently for up and down. It is all included in the FSUIPC User guide. did you read that?

Anyway, for flaps there are already calibration facilities for all steps of your flap lever, provided you first choose the aircraft withn the number of detents you need. And spoiler calibration sets both the Armed and Flight detents, which is all any aircraft has.

I think you are expecting something in the Assignments which is really all to do with Calibration! You are, maybe, just looking in the wrong place? Calibration can apply to FS assignments, which is why it is separate from assignment.

Pete