The simFlight Network Forums

New add-ons P3D 3.3.

Pete I have used the new add-ons function in P3D 3.3 and it sems to load OK. will you implement this in a future version , as if not the dll.xml will be updated and P3D will have two dll.s to load

as I pointed the XML path to the modules folder ..

Jorge

5 hours ago, aeronauta said:

Pete I have used the new add-ons function in P3D 3.3 and it sems to load OK

Sorry, please explain.

5 hours ago, aeronauta said:

if not the dll.xml will be updated and P3D will have two dll.s to load

P3D is designed to have two DLL.XMLs and uses both. The one in the AppData is fine, and there's nothing wrong with FSUIPC continuing to be loaded from there. It is a cross-platform add-on and I think it most appropriate for it to be loaded from the same compatible DLL.XML location.

I append, below, what the P3D SDK says about them. And there are implications. FSUIPC should be loaded late in the total list, but not after ASN's connection DLL, and the only way my installer can ensure both criteria is to check and edit the DLL.XML in the Roaming folder.

Having changes made at this stage to the method will introduce confusion for users and risks double loading. I see that the SODE animation DLL attempts to load itself twice with entries in both places. If you just let the FSUIPC4 installer work as it should you wil have no problems.

I don't know why L-M have done this for DLL and EXE files. It makes some sense for many of the other CFGs, especially those for scenery, objects, effects and so on. But not for these. And why is the Prepar3D.CFG still in Roaming?

If you mean by "I have used the new add-ons function" that you have used its XML config method and command line facilities to install FSUIPC, then I would ask why, when FSUIPC's installer makes it so easy for you in any case? And anyway, even if you want to do it for some good reason, why not use the method for updating the Roaming DLL.XML, not the ProgramData one? I see you can opt for either.

Pete

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The priority for how add-on library (DLL) and application (EXE) configuration files differs from content and is initialized as follows:

• ProgramData: Configuration files named dll.xml or exe.xml found at: %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • Roaming: Configuration files named dll.xml or exe.xml found at: %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

If multiple configuration files are found, then the list of paths are merged together when processed according to the above priority.

Thank you for your reply Pete, I have removed the dll.xml file from roaming and I never had one in prog  Data, now I have all the dll's called and loaded by an xml file in a folder inside  C:\Users\aero\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Add-ons\DLL_XML , The actual dlll files reside in its own folders somewhere else ( yours still in modules). And yes I chose to do it "because I can" :) I think that quote is not in my V3.3.17625 in the Add-ons section. As you know exe.xml and dll.xml were not default files in P3D, now this is the SDK way for LM to include all add ons..

Jorge

4 hours ago, aeronauta said:

now I have all the dll's called and loaded by an xml file in a folder inside  C:\Users\aero\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Add-ons\DLL_XML

Strange. Sorry, but I'm certainly not going there.

I think that quote is not in my V3.3.17625 in the Add-ons section.

The full SDK documentation is on-line, not downloaded with the SDK. The details are all there. Those are the ones I refer to.

As you know exe.xml and dll.xml were not default files in P3D

Nor were they ever installed by default in FSX or FSX-SE. They've ALWAYS been created and amended by add-on installers as needed. (There were just examples provided in the FSX SDK).

now this is the SDK way for LM to include all add ons..

So you really want to throw my Installer away? If that is what you want to do it is entirely up to you. You'll have to make do with downloading the DLL on its own, when such interim versions are available, and waiting for the separate Documents package to be updated, as and when.

Alternatively you could make a batch file (or adapt one you are using) to automatically delete EXE.XML and DLL.XML files from the places you don't want them. But whatever you decide to do, please don't ask for support for old unsupported versions of FSUIPC if you decide to not update.

Pete

Thankyou Pete, I dont want to take any more of your tme, but the online sdk in the whats new v3.3 says Streamlined add on proccess and lists the add ons as I described it... also the Learning Centre in the V3.3 download has all the updated info as well.

Thankyou.

Jorge

22 minutes ago, aeronauta said:

Thankyou Pete, I dont want to take any more of your tme, but the online sdk in the whats new v3.3 says Streamlined add on proccess and lists the add ons as I described it... also the Learning Centre in the V3.3 download has all the updated info as well.

It may well do, but it also includes details of the two places I know of for CFG files and describes options for using the DLL.XML and EXE.XML files there, too, even using their semi-automated system I think.

I must admit I didn't go into any depth in this matter. Seems far too involved for a simple add-on like FSUIPC, though I can well appreciate how much easier and more sanitory it could make addon aircraft and scenery installing.

Pete