The simFlight Network Forums

Size of Profile Selection Menu

It should just expand until it can't any more, then provide scroll bars*. It's a normal Windows drop-down like the others.

Maybe if you could give me your INI file I could see exactly what you see here? You can attach it or paste it, either.

Pete

[later] see later message about all this.

Just some questions, first, please:

1. How many profiles do you have, and why so many? Are you really assigning different buttons, different keys, different axes or having different calibration for so many? I really cannot imagine how you could cope if every aircraft has different assignments. Profiles are supposed ot make it easy to have categories of aircraft which do have separate controls, but I cannot imagine how you are extending a list so much.

2. Whilst awaiting your settings I just created about 45 profiles, just about covering every aircraft and individual pain job from each, that is installed in a default P3Dv3. What I actually see if the drop down window becoming longer and longer until the bottom is off the screen and unreachable. Is that what you mean?

If that is what you mean I don't understand why you'd say you wanted the size to be expanded. Seems to me it just keeps getting longer forever. (or at least as far as I have the patience for).

I could probably do something to actually LIMIT how much it grows, so that it will get scroll bars at that stage *no it won't! see below), but this seems to be the opposite of what you appear to be asking, for the size to be expanded.

[LATER]

Looking at the code I see it is a Popup Menu, which cannot have scroll bars and just keeps expanding as things are added.

I really think the best solution is to get your system tidied up. There should be no reason for you to have so many different profiles. I expect you've created identical ones for things like different paint jobs. Please show me your FSUIPC4.INI file and I'll sort it out for me as best I can.

Pete

I have profiles for each aircraft that I've purchased, but not for each livery.  I've been flight simming for a long time and have accumulated a number of aircraft.

I use different profiles for two reasons:  the aircraft have different assignments for things like GPS and HUD pop-ups, and different calibrations for control axes.   I prefer to have standard functions (like display/hide GPS) assigned to a single joystick button. But on some aircraft that is a "shift 1" on another it is "shift 2", etc..  Also, some of the more complex aircraft have controls that can't be made common.

Wherever possible I've used default assignments for things, but as soon as a common function needs to be programmed, or an axis calibrated, you end up using a new profile. 

Knowing that the display is  simple pop-up menu is helpful.  I can find ways to work with it.

The INI file is attached.

When I ask if there is a way to expand it, I'm just looking for a way to see (and select from) all the profiles.

FSUIPC4.ini

Edited by silentsage

10 hours ago, silentsage said:

When I ask if there is a way to expand it, I'm just looking for a way to see (and select from) all the profiles.

With a Popup menu I cannot really think of a tidy way to do this. For scrolling, for instance, it would have to close the popup and re-build it in a different order. Once the popup is made, the program providing it has no control over it at all -- it just receives the selection back when it is chosen.

To scroll one at a time by remaking it would be rather painful for the user if there are many items invisible off the bottom of the screen, but I can look at such. To scroll up or down would need two extra lines for the scroll choices.

If the popup started at the top of the screen instead of by the selector, would that work?
{LATER] Just tried your INI  -- Windows already starts the popup as high as it needs to go to try to fit it in! And, at least on my screen, they all fit. just!

Or having a way of reversing the order? (would need an extra line just to select that option).

10 hours ago, silentsage said:

The INI file is attached.

Hmm. 59 defined [Profile. xxxx] sections, but only these actual Profile-oriented assignments:

[Axes.Beech B55 E55]
[JoystickCalibration.Beech B55 E55]

[Buttons.F/A-18E]
[Axes.F/A-18E]
[JoystickCalibration.F/A-18E]

Only two out of 59 profiles used? Or is this a work in progress? I've always found it better to make the profiles as you find you need then. Make your basic Jet, Prop, etc ones then, for variations where truly needed, used the "new based on" option to derive variations from that. It looks like, instead, you've started with a long list of all your aircraft and created Profile labels for them ahead of all this, "just in case", perhaps?

Oh, one last thing: the Profile selection popup is only used when assigning a new aircraft to a Profile. So are you still adding new aircraft?

Pete

Well, Windows already provides the scroll options after all!

I added some more profiles to your list, so it would definitely be too long for my screen -- in preparation for testing some solutions -- and, what do you know? Windows automatically put little scroll markers on -- solid black triangles appear when there are more items "off screen".  All you need to do it click the appropriate triangle, and, lo and behold, the list scrolls.

So, as far as I can see there's no problem t solve. is there?

Pete