The simFlight Network Forums

[Searching] HOWTO: FSUIPC for GPSOUT

First of all, I downloaded and installed the module, but it seems as if it does "nothing" at all.
(I planned to start with the unregistered version because I thought this would be a kind of time/function limited demo, but I cannot see what it does at all.)

I'd like to know how I can configure FSUIPC (do I need the registered version for this?) to send GPS data from FSX to Bluetooth. Ok, I understood, it should be "to a COM port", but I cannot see anything about that. Is there a HOWTO or a description on that?

54 minutes ago, Emma2 said:

First of all, I downloaded and installed the module, but it seems as if it does "nothing" at all.

An unregistered version acts in its original purpose, ever since FS98. It provides an interface to application programs needing data out of and control into FS. There are no user facilities without registration, except logging the data programs can read and write.

56 minutes ago, Emma2 said:

I cannot see what it does at all.

Why not try reading the User Guide as a start? It is installed foor you, in the folder FSUIPC Documents. All this is explained also in the Installation guide which is included in the ZIP itself. Did you completely ignore that?

57 minutes ago, Emma2 said:

I'd like to know how I can configure FSUIPC (do I need the registered version for this?) t

Yes, as it says in the User Guide. The user facilities are for Registered Users.

58 minutes ago, Emma2 said:

to send GPS data from FSX to Bluetooth. Ok, I understood, it should be "to a COM port", but I cannot see anything about that. Is there a HOWTO or a description on that?

If a bluetooth device is installed with a driver which emulates a COM port, then, yes, it is going to be possible. But for more details you need to read the documentation. Also, depending on your device you might find help in the User Contributions subforum above.

Documentation is provided to assist in understanding software. That's its purpose.

Pete

Honestly, I dod NOT read the manual... I was "naive" enough to think that I could install the "demo" (unregistered) version and at least see whether it does what I want.

What I actually want is to take my Android device (the one I am using for real life flight navigation) and use it for FSX navigation, too.
I'd like to have FSX' "GPS data" sent out over BT and received on my Android device as an "external BT mouse".

As you confirmed that this is possible, I guess I will buy the registered version.

Can I find the way to achieve this in the documentation, or can you point me to an appropriate thread in this forum?

If I scan through this post 

, it seems as if I could simply "activate GPSout" in FSUIPC... and that's it. Is it really as simple as that?

24 minutes ago, Emma2 said:

I was "naive" enough to think that I could install the "demo" (unregistered) version and at least see whether it does what I want.

The documentation is for that. There's no demo. An unregistered install has only one function -- to support FSUIPC-using applications (oh, and, actually, a registered WideFS).

25 minutes ago, Emma2 said:

As you confirmed that this is possible

Almost everything is possible, but some things are a lot more work than others.

Personally I would have no idea how to send data out "over BT". I know nothing about Internet communications. There are modules you can download and install to allow Lua plug-ins to use the internet, and there are I think some examples of that. You'd certainly need to do some programming.

BUT you originally said your Android was connected to your PC via Bluetooth and I said if the Bluetooth connection looks like a COM (serial) port to FSUIPC the GPSout could send to it.

32 minutes ago, Emma2 said:

it seems as if I could simply "activate GPSout" in FSUIPC... and that's it. Is it really as simple as that?

No. you have to get the name of that port. It may not be a "COMn" number -- I don't know about Bluetooth, but USB devices usually need some odd name construction for the port.

Then comes the matter of what your device is expecting. GPSout normally only sends standard NMEA sentences. If your program on your Android device is expecting those, well and good. You only have to choose WHICH sentences it needs to get it to do what you want. there are a couple of non-NMEA formats but the output isn't user confiurable otherwise. So you need to first check what your device expects.

Pete

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant:

My PC's BT will emulate a COMport, and on my Android device I will (try to) connect to that port.

Which sentences are expected from my Android BT GPS app, I will have to check, but I guess there will be a way (either it fits right now, or there is an appropriate app for that).

But from a quick search in this forum, I assume that there are people having succeeded in getting this running. So, I will acquire a licence and see how to manage it, too. Thanks so far.

Update:
Just checked it, and it works!

After some curiosities with Windows 10

• Showing my PC's BT device as discoverable - although I switched that OFF again, and even rebootet the PC)
  • Showing the incoming COM port as connected with my (SWITCHED OFF) Samsung TV

I managed to let FSUIPC send its GPS data (all checked) to that COM port (it actually WAS that simple: just activate GPSout and select COM port)

On my Android device

Thank you!

• Upvote 1