The simFlight Network Forums

Two questions on Axis Calibration screen

On the axis calibration screen , to the left of  the set buttons, there are two boxes labeled In and Out. What is the actual purposes of the numbers in these boxes and what do they affect? 

The other question is, when calibrating an axis, let's say the joystick in one position reads +16,000 and the opposite reading is -16,000 . Now I move it to center, and sometimes it will not read zero when hitting the center set button. Also, below that center set button, there is another box, and if you hit the set button again, that number in the lower box changes. I am not quite sure if both center boxes  should both read zero, or if I have a problem if they don't.  

Bob

10 minutes ago, bobsk8 said:

On the axis calibration screen , to the left of  the set buttons, there are two boxes labeled In and Out. What is the actual purposes of the numbers in these boxes and what do they affect? 

They are exactly as described in the User Guide, page 45, the whole of the 2nd paragraph after the picture of that screen. Did you not look?

They affect nothing as displays because they are just informative displays.

14 minutes ago, bobsk8 said:

-16,000 . Now I move it to center, and sometimes it will not read zero when hitting the center set button. Also, below that center set button, there is another box, and if you hit the set button again, that number in the lower box changes. I am not quite sure if both center boxes  should both read zero, or if I have a problem if they don't.  

For a properly calibrated centre zone neither will usually be zero and with proper calibration they would certainly be different unless you have a most unusual control which always centres EXACTLY same each time, no matter what pressures were applied to the springs.

Why not simply read the user guide, which has a whole chapter on calibration, with both pictures and numbered steps to good calibration? it would be much faster for you, and more efficient, than posting questions here for basic things already covered quite thoroughly!

Pete

53 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

They are exactly as described in the User Guide, page 45, the whole of the 2nd paragraph after the picture of that screen. Did you not look?

They affect nothing as displays because they are just informative displays.

For a properly calibrated centre zone neither will usually be zero and with proper calibration they would certainly be different unless you have a most unusual control which always centres EXACTLY same each time, no matter what pressures were applied to the springs.

Why not simply read the user guide, which has a whole chapter on calibration, with both pictures and numbered steps to good calibration? it would be much faster for you, and more efficient, than posting questions here for basic things already covered quite thoroughly!

Pete

Read that user guide several times, and didn't seem to find the answers to my question. Will look at it again tonight when I get home. 

3 hours ago, bobsk8 said:

Read that user guide several times, and didn't seem to find the answers to my question. Will look at it again tonight when I get home.

Really? What is not clear. Regarding the IN and OUT values I really cannot be clearer than explained in the paragraph I pointed yo to. And if you'd followed the numbered steps when calibrating you would have certainly undertstood why there are two central values. How can a zone be described by one value?

Sorry, but I'm not going to repeat here what is already written clearly and has been now for about 18 years without any real misunderstandings, even by those whose first language is not English.

Pete

21 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Really? What is not clear. Regarding the IN and OUT values I really cannot be clearer than explained in the paragraph I pointed yo to. And if you'd followed the numbered steps when calibrating you would have certainly undertstood why there are two central values. How can a zone be described by one value?

Sorry, but I'm not going to repeat here what is already written clearly and has been now for about 18 years without any real misunderstandings, even by those whose first language is not English.

Pete

Guess I am just not very bright.