The simFlight Network Forums

Programs fore creating new airports for Tower 3d /Pro)

FrankFly Dk

I saw on another post (possibly another forum on the web, maybe Steam) that it's not possible to mod airports into the game.  They require quite a bit of programming.  The only things that you can mod are flight schedules and terminals and similar.

I didn't mean modding the airports. I meant creating new airports to implement into the game. The game comes with only 3 stock airports and the number of airports that has been releaced is very limited. Therefore I hoped that there was some kind of program with which players could create their own airports.

There is not a plane or airport editor for Tower!3D Pro. These do exist, however, for Tower!2011 along with a sector editor for Tracon!2012.

I'm not sure what your expectations are for airports but JFK, SAN, and ATL have been released thus far. Known to be in development are LAS, BOS, and PHX while SFO and an European airport have also been mentioned. FeelThere commented that they hope to release at least an airport a month beginning in September. That should give us a good inventory of airports by the time the next version of Tower is on the market. :)

Craig

On 10/8/2017 at 4:26 PM, crbascott said:

There is not a plane or airport editor for Tower!3D Pro. These do exist, however, for Tower!2011 along with a sector editor for Tracon!2012.

I'm not sure what your expectations are for airports but JFK, SAN, and ATL have been released thus far. Known to be in development are LAS, BOS, and PHX while SFO and an European airport have also been mentioned. FeelThere commented that they hope to release at least an airport a month beginning in September. That should give us a good inventory of airports by the time the next version of Tower is on the market. :)

Craig

My point is that the airport I want may never be created. By having an airport creating program for the game will give people the opportunity to create the airports they want. It could be done via the Steam workshop. That way I think more people will buy the game. As it is right now, I have no plan of buying the game.

Craig, do you have a link to the plane/airport editor for Tower!2011, because I have that game.

Regards

Frank

FrankFly,

On current performance it seems to take the professionals (FT, ND, SS) 3 to 4 months to create each new airport. If there was a programme to enable us amateurs to bang out an airport in a couple of hours I'd think they would be using it. There is clearly an immense amount of work required to create an new airport for T3D/T3DP.

1 hour ago, FrankFly Dk said:

My point is that the airport I want may never be created. By having an airport creating program for the game will give people the opportunity to create the airports they want. It could be done via the Steam workshop. That way I think more people will buy the game. As it is right now, I have no plan of buying the game.

Craig, do you have a link to the plane/airport editor for Tower!2011, because I have that game.

Regards

Frank

I too wish there was the ability to mod airports into the game as I fear the airport I'd like to see won't make it either.  (It doesn't look like it was in in Tower 2011 either, and they seem to be going down similar paths with that.  As Winsaudi said, it takes a lot of programming for them to create each airport, but I for one would like for them to find a way to program the game in a way that modders could create new airports that their core program could utilize.  I'm not a programmer, so I obviously have no idea what this would take, but I take the game as presented and just go with it.

6 hours ago, FrankFly Dk said:

Regards

Frank

If you have Tower!2011, there is a lot of information in the manual on how to use the Airfield editor (which should be in your Tower!2011 root folder) and the plane editor (which should be in the Airplanes folder). Personally, I never tried to take on the task of creating a new airport for Tower!2011 because the work seemed overwhelming. I did edit several airports mainly changing the way terminals/gates were defined in order to make it more realistic. I would love to be able to do that in Tower!3D.

However, I can't even imagine what it would take to build an airport from scratch for Tower!3D. I envision it being about 10 times more involved with the 3D feature adding layers of complexity. No thanks ... I'll leave it up those more talented than I.

I'm not sure how it's programmed, and I'm not a programmer.... but with that being said, I think it would be awesome if they could design the core functionality of the game (i.e. what planes mean while taxing, how to interpret the commands, etc.) and leave it open (or design an API) so that other users can design their own airports.  I know it'd be a bit of work still, but I've seen some amazing things on the web that people have done when dedicated to it. 

I think then they could focus on improving core functionality of the game and still work on 'official releases' of airports.  I think it could be the best of both worlds.  Again, it'd have to be designed that way.  As far as improving core functionality of the game, I'm not saying it's bad.  I've been loving the game so far.  But I've seen people ask for the ability to tell aircraft to continue across runways without using the 'Hold short of...' workaround.  I think it could also be nice if you had the option of doing 1 job, or you could do multiplayer with more than 2 people (From some research I've done since getting enthralled with this game, I've realized that LAX has 2 different ground positions... 1 for the northern section and 1 for the southern section, and there's a handoff line running through the airport.

Again, just my 2 cents, and not a knock on anyone.  I too am in FrankFly Dk's shoes in that I feel that my airport may never be created (Denver International Airport).