The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC.INI

Hi Pete!

I am one of those folks who have the Dreaded Black Screen problem and I have what is probably a strange question.

I read your post about upgrading the video drivers...(I have the Nvidia FX 5600 and have the very latest drivers), and, if that doesn't work, going into the FSUIPC.INI and adding the InitDelay=3000 line. Then I read the post saying that this doesn't help. Well, before I read that, I tried to find the FSUIPC.INI and I can't find this file. I have checked the MODULES folder in FS 2004 as well as FS 2002 and it is not to be found. I do have a FSUIPC.CFG file in each of my FS's. ??? Is this the same file? I opened it and it had the [GENERAL] section but I wasn't sure if I should alter this. I also did a 'search' on my hard drive and it showed two FSUIPC files...both of them the cfg files I had already found.

I suppose it really doesn't matter now with the information that changing that line doesn't help but I was speaking with my good friend, Ray Proudfoot, and he said the lack of the INI file was not good and that I should check with you. So...here I am. Am I missing these critical files?

I can live with things the way they are. I prefer flying in Full Screen. The only problem is that I have to fly in Windows Mode if I want to use Radar Contact 3. Then I have to switch to Windows and stay there because of the black screen if I try to go back to Full Screen.

Your help is much appreciated. FSUIPC is great and thanks for all your hard work to make it better and better.

Best regards,

I tried to find the FSUIPC.INI and I can't find this file. I have checked the MODULES folder in FS 2004 as well as FS 2002 and it is not to be found. I do have a FSUIPC.CFG file in each of my FS's. ??? Is this the same file?

There is no file named FSUIPC.CFG used by FSUIPC. It is most definitely called FSUIPC.INI. It sounds very much like you are not looking at the filenames with filetypes showing, but you have them hidden so you cannot tell what the true filename is. Windows probably describes any INI file as "configurastion settings" or somesuch.

Am I missing these critical files?

No, you cannot be. FSUIPC would simply re-create one if you deleted it. You are simply getting confused between a Windows file description and a proper filename, which it sounds like you have hidden. If you want to see the real filenames so you can recognise things properly go to Window Explorer's Tools-Folder Options and select View, then uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". (This is for Windows XP, but there are similar options in Windows 98 and Me).

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete!

Many thanks for your rapid response to my question! I followed your directions and you were right on target! It worked! I can now see my FSUIPC.INI.

I decided to edit it while I was there and add the InitDelay=3000 line to it. I had the same results as others...it made the black screen problem worse, if possible. So I edited it back out.

I can still fly both FS202 and FS2004. I just can't go from Full Screen to Windows mode, minimize and then back out to Full Screen. But that is ok. I have changed a few things and really don't need to go to minimze now so I can live with it. I hope that someone will find the solution to this problem someday.

I think your creation, FSUIPC is a work of art. I have used it for several years and was more than happy to register my copy. I thank you for all the years of hard work you have put into our hobby to help make it the best ever!

Again, thanks for your help!

Regards,

I can still fly both FS202 and FS2004. I just can't go from Full Screen to Windows mode, minimize and then back out to Full Screen.

Do you have any other add-in modules in your FS Modules folder? On my system the timing was critical. Just removing some of the others helped. I also modified AdvDisplay and PFC.DLL to help with this, but one of Lago's DLLs (ViMaCore2004.dll I think) also contributed to the problem for me. I think there's some sort of conflict between two things relating to DirectX and they are affected by slight differences in timings. Maybe even the order in which the Modules are loaded has an effect -- because the load order determines things like chained notifications and subclassing ordering.

I don't think there will be a proper answer though, unless the problem will be fixed by an update to DirectX9b. The problem doesn't seem localised to FS2004 -- a number of DX9-level programs seems to suffer.

Regards,

Pete