The simFlight Network Forums

Simconnect window not opening and closing

Hi,

I'm trying to use RCv4 in a Simconnect window in P3Dv4.1. I had this set up and working well in P3Dv3.4.

In v4.1, RC options show in a Simconnect window when I start that programme and I'm able to interact with these options. Everything seems to work. Apart from that I can't open and close the Simconnect ATC window.

Following the instructions in the FSUIPC user guide and guide for advanced users, I've added AdvDisplayHotKey=65,11 to FSUIPC.ini. I've also set CTRL+SHIFT+A in "Toggle FS Display Window On/Off in FSUIPCs Hot Keys tab, and set CTRL+SHIFT+A as the keypress to toggle the ATC window in RCv4 itself. But nothing happens when I press CTRL+SHIFT+A.

I can close the Simconnect ATC window using the red cross in the top corner, but then the window never comes back.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Dominic

3 minutes ago, domrhodes said:

In v4.1, RC options show in a Simconnect window when I start that programme and I'm able to interact with these options. Everything seems to work. Apart from that I can't open and close the Simconnect ATC window.

The facilities used in FSX and P3D3 aren't available in P3D4.  They were implemented by a hack into the Window module in the sim. Instead, in P3D4, FSUIPC uses the normal SimConnect Text window provisions.

Those windows are closed when the text in them is cleared. 

6 minutes ago, domrhodes said:

Following the instructions in the FSUIPC user guide and guide for advanced users, I've added AdvDisplayHotKey=65,11 to FSUIPC.ini. I've also set CTRL+SHIFT+A in "Toggle FS Display Window On/Off in FSUIPCs Hot Keys tab, and set CTRL+SHIFT+A as the keypress to toggle the ATC window in RCv4 itself. But nothing happens when I press CTRL+SHIFT+A.

Are those facilities still displayed in FSUIPC options? I might need to change that. 

Here the displays certainly close when the Window is cleared, but i suspect that needs to be done by the program for which FSUIPC is displaying it.  For example, ProATC/X (which I use now instead of RC) has keypress options to bring up or close the menu.

If RC is relying on simply using the FSUIPC shortcut, and not actually sending a blank text to clear it, then that may explain your problem. I'd need to look at the possibility of imposing blank text automatically.

The trouble then is losing the display if RC doesn't re-send it until it wants it changed. That makes it more complex -- I'd have to look at saving the text so it can be re-drawn, and updating that if the offset RC is using changes.

I will look to see what I can do, but it won't be till later in November. I'm away till the 15th. 

Pete

Thanks Pete. Toggle FS Display Window On/Off is still in my Hot Keys tab and the AdvDisplayHotKey setting is mentioned in the guide for advanced users.

I've since found that if I close the window with the red cross in the corner I can get it back if I press a key to select a RC transmission (e.g. request higher altitude). So that's one way around it for now. Or I can just leave the window up on the screen. But if you do manage to find a solution to opening and closing the RC window with a key press later in the month that'd be great. 

Thanks again,

Dominic

10 hours ago, domrhodes said:

Thanks Pete. Toggle FS Display Window On/Off is still in my Hot Keys tab and the AdvDisplayHotKey setting is mentioned in the guide for advanced users.

I've since found that if I close the window with the red cross in the corner I can get it back if I press a key to select a RC transmission (e.g. request higher altitude). So that's one way around it for now. Or I can just leave the window up on the screen. But if you do manage to find a solution to opening and closing the RC window with a key press later in the month that'd be great. 

I don't have anything using that particular window type. I could write a small Lua program to emulate RC's use of it, but meanwhile, in P3Dv3, did the show/hide facility work without any changes being made in the text itself?

And did the display automatically reappear if the text changed -- or not?

I would like to emulate the original behaviour but I don't even though I did use RC up till 3 years ago I don't recall how it operated because I never used it with its menus on the FS screen. I always used the facilities I added via WideFS and Lua to move the display to a small screen in my cockpit where it is controlled by local buttons.  (I did the same with Simconnect menu windows, such as those from GSX, as well. Sadly, I'm still waiting for some L-M-promised facilities in P3D4 for that at present).

Pete

Hi Pete,

14 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

in P3Dv3, did the show/hide facility work without any changes being made in the text itself?

In P3Dv3, I had CTRL+X set up for the open close RCv4 simconnect window. This was set in RCv4 itself where you can programme a command to open and close the window. In the FSUIPC menu in the Hot Keys tab, I had "Toggle FS Display Window On/Off" set to CTRL+X also. Finally I also had AdvDisplayHotKey=88,10 set in FSUIPC.ini, which I think correlates to CTRL+X. I'm not sure exactly which one was opening and closing the window but I'm happy to test by turning each setting off one by one if that's helpful.

And did the display automatically reappear if the text changed -- or not?

Yes, in P3Dv3 it did. For example if I had the window turned off during the cruise and then I received a request to contact the next sector the window would pop up.

I always used the facilities I added via WideFS and Lua to move the display to a small screen in my cockpit

I used to do the same but then I started using MCE and the developer of that suggested running both RC and MCE on the sim machine to prevent any latency issues. Not using MCE yet on v4 though, so I don't think this is interfering with the window in any way.

Thanks again,

Dominic