The simFlight Network Forums

Some Issues of The Axis Assignment

Dear Pete,

Greetings! I just purchased a new yoke from ACE which requires no driver. I guess since there is no driver but just plug and play, the axes need to be calibrated either by Windows controller setting or P3D or others, otherwise their movements cannot be properly detected. Now I want to do the calibration via FSUIPC. 

However, all the movements of the yoke cannot be detected in FSUIPC's "axis assignment" page when I move the yoke (no number/parameter is shown in the interface).

Then, in FSUIPC's "joystick calibration" page, with "enable controller" option enabled in P3D setting page, the numbers in the box "in" and "out" did change but with delay (e.g. when the yoke is already physically centred to neutral position from full left/right, the number is still changing and after a few seconds stop at 0). 

However, with "enable controller" option disabled in P3D setting page, the number stays at 0 and will not change even if I move the yoke. 

I would be thankful if you could help! My log and Joyscan file are attached.

Thanks very much!

Anson

FSUIPC5.log

FSUIPC5.JoyScan.csv

36 minutes ago, TszChun.Anson said:

However, all the movements of the yoke cannot be detected in FSUIPC's "axis assignment" page when I move the yoke (no number/parameter is shown in the interface).

There's no "ACE" device seen by FSUIPC because there appear to be not entries for it, either in the Registery, or in the list known to the Windows Joystick interface. That is unless it is this one:

Product= Plasma-MM2
       78    Manufacturer= Beta Innovations

Wouldn't an ACE device feature "ACE" somewhere its identity?

If it is that device, it appears to have these connection:

Details: Btns=64, POVs=(0, 0, 0, 0), Cal=x00000000, Max=R65535,U65535,V65535,X65535,Y65535,Z65535

i.e 64 buttons and 6 16-bit high resolution axes. 

I note from the Joyscan file that there are two devices with that identity, but one doesn't respond to Joystick interface reads, nor does the interface give valid informastion, like that above, for it.

If that isn't the ACE, but another one which you have working (I can't tell if you have any assignments since you didn't provide your INI file), then I'm afraid the ACE is simply not a device known to any interface FSUIPC understands.

Pete

40 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

There's no "ACE" device seen by FSUIPC because there appear to be not entries for it, either in the Registery, or in the list known to the Windows Joystick interface. That is unless it is this one:

Product= Plasma-MM2
       78    Manufacturer= Beta Innovations

Wouldn't an ACE device feature "ACE" somewhere its identity?

If it is that device, it appears to have these connection:

Details: Btns=64, POVs=(0, 0, 0, 0), Cal=x00000000, Max=R65535,U65535,V65535,X65535,Y65535,Z65535

i.e 64 buttons and 6 16-bit high resolution axes. 

I note from the Joyscan file that there are two devices with that identity, but one doesn't respond to Joystick interface reads, nor does the interface give valid informastion, like that above, for it.

If that isn't the ACE, but another one which you have working (I can't tell if you have any assignments since you didn't provide your INI file), then I'm afraid the ACE is simply not a device known to any interface FSUIPC understands.

Pete

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I forgot to mention that the yoke is identified as "Plasma-MM2", that means your guess was right.

Actually if I do the calibration in P3D controller setting page, the yoke can function properly. But back to FSUIPC,  the axes cannot be detected unless I check "enable controller" in P3D. I wonder if FSUIPC to some extent "links" to P3D to acquire some controller information...

However I still prefer to calibrate the yoke via FSUIPC because this is what I have done for my throttle and joystick. 

What can I do so that I can calibrate it via FSUIPC?

Anson

Edited by TszChun.Anson

15 hours ago, TszChun.Anson said:

Actually if I do the calibration in P3D controller setting page, the yoke can function properly. But back to FSUIPC,  the axes cannot be detected unless I check "enable controller" in P3D. I wonder if FSUIPC to some extent "links" to P3D to acquire some controller information...

Ah, you are looking at the Calibration pages. If you assign in P3D, you can calibrate in FSUIPC. But if you want FSUIPC to handle the device you MUST assign the axes in FSUIPC! Please do refer to the user guide. 

P3D does some automatic assignment, but often gets it wrong. FSUIPC does NOT automatic assignment. It lets you use your devices as you see fit.

It really is importnat to read the relevant sectionso of the User Guide. Pictures are provided too!

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

Ah, you are looking at the Calibration pages. If you assign in P3D, you can calibrate in FSUIPC. But if you want FSUIPC to handle the device you MUST assign the axes in FSUIPC! Please do refer to the user guide. 

P3D does some automatic assignment, but often gets it wrong. FSUIPC does NOT automatic assignment. It lets you use your devices as you see fit.

It really is importnat to read the relevant sectionso of the User Guide. Pictures are provided too!

Pete

I always assigned axes for my joystick and throttle in FSUIPC’s “axis assignment” page. Supposedly once I move any of the axes, there should be a number/parameter shown in some boxes in that page, and then I assign an action for that axis.

However, there is no number/parameter shown when I move the new yoke (i.e. the movements of the axes of the yoke are not detected at all).

Thanks very much!

Anson

1 hour ago, TszChun.Anson said:

I always assigned axes for my joystick and throttle in FSUIPC’s “axis assignment” page. Supposedly once I move any of the axes, there should be a number/parameter shown in some boxes in that page, and then I assign an action for that axis.

Yes, correct.

1 hour ago, TszChun.Anson said:

However, there is no number/parameter shown when I move the new yoke (i.e. the movements of the axes of the yoke are not detected at all).

Ah, okay. Thank you. You made me think you weren't looking there when you talked about the sim assignments being seen.

This is strange, as from the logs and CSV you supplied, it has clearly been detected and should read the values okay. And I assume the other detected devices are showing values okay?

What about buttons on the device -- are they detected?

Pete

On 01/02/2018 at 9:43 PM, Pete Dowson said:

Yes, correct.

Ah, okay. Thank you. You made me think you weren't looking there when you talked about the sim assignments being seen.

This is strange, as from the logs and CSV you supplied, it has clearly been detected and should read the values okay. And I assume the other detected devices are showing values okay?

What about buttons on the device -- are they detected?

Pete

Yes you are right. The other detected devices are showing values properly.

The buttons on my new yoke are properly detected as well.

Anson

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, TszChun.Anson said:

Still struggling to get the axes detected, appreciate if you could help :)

Can we revise what is going on please. After a three week gap I need a summary of exactly what you have:

You have several devices, and all are working fine, with FSUIPC assignmets EXCEPT the Yoke. But the buttons on the Yoke are okay, it is only the two axes (for aileron and elevator). Is this correct?

Can I have a fresh sight of the INI file, the LOG file and the Joyscan CSV file, please?

FSUIPC actually reads one batch of data from each device at regulsr intervals (normally 20 times per second). That one batch of data includes all button sttes, all POV values, and all Axis values. They are never read separately. It is the nature of DirectInput.

Note that P3D has two modes -- a normal DirectInput mode and a "direct mode" where it reads the USB ports itself and analyses the input (similar to the way the FSUIPC Lua plug-in "HID" functions can be used for non-Joystick devices as well as Joysticks). When you checked the Yoke in P3D which mode was it set to?

Pete

Can we revise what is going on please. After a three week gap I need a summary of exactly what you have:

You have several devices, and all are working fine, with FSUIPC assignmets EXCEPT the Yoke. But the buttons on the Yoke are okay, it is only the two axes (for aileron and elevator). Is this correct?

Thank you very much! Yes you are right.

Can I have a fresh sight of the INI file, the LOG file and the Joyscan CSV file, please?

Of course! They are attached to this comment.

Note that P3D has two modes -- a normal DirectInput mode and a "direct mode" where it reads the USB ports itself and analyses the input (similar to the way the FSUIPC Lua plug-in "HID" functions can be used for non-Joystick devices as well as Joysticks). When you checked the Yoke in P3D which mode was it set to?

It was set to Raw Input. Should I check the other one instead?

https://youtu.be/HelcGmMwwmw

This is a short screen recording demonstrating the issue. 0:14 is the moment when I moved the yoke but not well-detected. 0:56 is when I moved the yoke but not detected by the axis assignment page. Interestingly, 1:00 is when I moved the yoke and the movements of axes were detected, but in a strange way. In particular, the changes in numbers shown were exceptionally gradual, slowed and delayed.

I suspect that this is caused by the lack of driver tuned by the yoke manufacturer. Without calibration via either Windows or P3D setting, the range of axes' parameters are not well-defined which may lead to FSUIPC's failure to detect the yoke. Actually I thought I could directly do all calibration and axis assignment work via FSUIPC, could you please clarify if I misunderstand how it work?

I hope this can help you understand more about the issue.

Anson

FSUIPC5.ini

FSUIPC5.JoyScan.csv

FSUIPC5.log

10 minutes ago, TszChun.Anson said:

It was set to Raw Input. Should I check the other one instead?

Yes please. Because if that has the same problem with DirectInput, then the problem is likely to be a Registry thing defining the device.

The solution might be to uninstall the device and its driver completely, using the Windows Device Manager, then re-booting with it attached so that it gets re-registered.

Did you ever install any software for it? If so, uninstall that too and try without.

Pete

• 3 months later...

Hi Pete and Anson

I have just received my ACE B777 yoke and I'm experiencing the same issues.

(up until now I've been using a CH Products yoke without issue so I know how to configure the axis from FSUIPC5)

What was the final conclusion for you Anson -  were you able to configure/calibrate the ACE yoke from within FSUIPC?

I hope so - I dread the thought of having to deal with ACE and send the unit back to Canada from Australia

thanks

Saul

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Anson

did you resolve this problem?

if so, How?

In my case, I can assign the buttons (eg AP disconnect, trim up/down) but the ailerons and elevator movement is not being detected as axis.

What did you do?

many thanks

Saul;