The simFlight Network Forums

RunIfN with parameter not working

Hi,

I use FSUIPC 4.974b with P3D v3.4 under Win 7-64bit. I tried to start vPilot (a VATSIM client) on my P3D PC via RunIfN in the host mode, as I run the user interface of vPilot on a second PC. Starting vPilot in host mode is accomplished by adding the parameter "-host" after the program name. As written in the documentation for the RunIfN command, I enclosed the command by ". This should enable the usage of parameters and blanks in the command line.

RunIf1=READY,CLOSE,"C:\<complete_path_here>\vpilot.exe -host"

BUT: vPilot is not starting and in the FSUIPC log it shows an Error #2 telling, that the program couldn't be started.

As soon as I remove the -host parameter, the program is starting fine - of course not in the host mode. It's not a critical issue, as I can start vPilot out of a command file used for starting P3D too. But maybe you could check, why it's not possible to pass a parameter with a "-". The same command in a CMD file works perfectly. 

Best regards
Reinhard

1 hour ago, aua668 said:

BUT: vPilot is not starting and in the FSUIPC log it shows an Error #2 telling, that the program couldn't be started.

As soon as I remove the -host parameter, the program is starting fine

This vpilot problem has cropped up before and a solution found. What is happening is that Windows is asked to load the program "vpilot.exe -host" which of course won't exist. It needs to load the program "vpilot.exe" with parameter "-host".

I don't remember the earlier solution (you can do a search in this Forum), but there are two things you could try:

RunIf1=READY,CLOSE,"C:\<complete_path_here>\vpilot.exe" -host

which I have doubts about, or, definitely better, make a little bat file to run vpilot with that parameter, i.e containing

start  "C:\<complete_path_here>\vpilot.exe" -host

and save it as, say, "runvpilot.bat" in C:\<complete_path_here>

Then have your RUNIF like this:

RunIf1=READY,CLOSE,"C:\<complete_path_here>\runvpilot.bat"

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for looking into that topic. I will go vor the BAT solution as proposed. I searched prior to my posting but I didn't find a similar problem. But I will try to find the topic.

Rgds
Reinhard

Edit: I tried now first RunIf1=READY,CLOSE,"C:\<complete_path_here>\vpilot.exe" -host and BINGO - it did work.

I would never had thought, that this will work. Great idea!

46 minutes ago, aua668 said:

I searched prior to my posting but I didn't find a similar problem. But I will try to find the topic.

Well, there were two posibly relevant threads I just found by simply searching on vPilot. 

This one where something like your line worked but I note that the were no spaces in the pathname to vPilot. I think spaces make all the difference with Windows:

and this one which is probably okay (when he gets the path right) because it has no parameters in any case:

You probably need to hone your searching skills a little? ;-)

Pete

Hi,

You are right ;-)

The first article I ignored, as I thought that this was - according to your comment - introduced by FSUIPC5. I am still on FSUIPC4. And the user used the syntax in the same way I tried (parameter within the string). And this was not working for me. The second article I also found. But the error in that case was simply, that the user specified a wrong path. That was not the case with my problem.

Anyhow - it works perfectly now.

Rgds
Reinhard