The simFlight Network Forums

Interface cards limit

Hi,

I have a number of interface cards to be able to build my flight simulator. So far I have about eight BBI32 cards. Sometimes when I connect a new BBI32 it indicates that this card already has been programmed when I want to set the event when a switch/encoder is moved.

That is why I wonder, is there a limit of how many interface cards you can connect using the FSUIPC?

I will need about 15 such cards, at least, when my flight deck is completed.

Is there a known problem when you detect many serial cards that some can collide even if they have different serial numbers?

1 hour ago, sebpil said:

I have a number of interface cards to be able to build my flight simulator. So far I have about eight BBI32 cards.

I moved this support question from the FAQ subforum, which is a repositiory for answers to FAQs.
Please always post support questions to the support forum.

1 hour ago, sebpil said:

Sometimes when I connect a new BBI32 it indicates that this card already has been programmed when I want to set the event when a switch/encoder is moved.

What "indicates" this, and how?

If all cards appear completely identical to Windows, it might mix them up. Once all installed, this should happen again if you never move them to different sockets or unpug them and reconnect them later.

You need to enable the Lettering system in FSUIPC INI file -- please see the Joy Letters chapter in the FSUIPC User Guide,

1 hour ago, sebpil said:

That is why I wonder, is there a limit of how many interface cards you can connect using the FSUIPC?

You mean joystick type devices. FSUIPC cannot distinguish an "interface card" from any other device classified by Windows as a "joystick".

The limit in FSUIPC derives from pre-DirectInput days of Windows, which used IDs 0-15 only. So the limit for FSUIPC is 16 such devices.

1 hour ago, sebpil said:

Is there a known problem when you detect many serial cards that some can collide even if they have different serial numbers?

Hopefully Windows will differentiate them by serial number. FSUIPC is dependent on the entries Windows makes for them in the Registry.  Windows assigns "GUIDs" (complex and unique 64-bit ID numbers) which should remain fixed for the same device even if moved. But this may not happen, and moving them may change IDs. If the GUID stays fixed, the Joy Letters get over the problem of IDs changing.

Pete

Sorry for my mistake, I was in the tyotal wrong forum, thank you for correcting it.

Will try the things you suggest and see what happens. So far my simulator is under development and what happens is that I do connect one 32 button interface card after another but not in sequence or all together. Maybe that is a problem. However I have changed my setting in the FSUIPC.INI file to JoyLetters Auto assign=Yes.

Looking forward to see what happens next time I will run some tests. If the problem comes back I will get more idetailed information.

Thank you for your support so far.