The simFlight Network Forums

Reading a quickly reset LVAR

In the TFDi 717 and PMDG MD-11, pressing a panel button will toggle an autopilot state. An LVAR will be written to, then quickly (I suspect dependent on frame rate) cleared. Right now I'm polling on a frequent basis but there are certain button presses that are being missed because they are being cleared within 100ms or less.

Pete, is there any way other than polling that one can detect that an LVAR has changed? What I'd love to have is a facility similar to vertical speed at touchdown that will capture a brief (even for a single frame) non-zero LVAR value and preserve it until another non-zero value comes along.

Cheers!

Luke

44 minutes ago, Luke Kolin said:

Pete, is there any way other than polling that one can detect that an LVAR has changed?

I don't know of one, but then I have never written a Gauge and really know nothing other that a few of the functions availble to gauges (and DLLs of course), such as those to read and write L:Vars, and enumerate them to get their names.

FSUIPC makes little use of the PANELS interface, and this is one (or tather "these are 4" actually).

Since I think many of the gauges using these variables are written in XML (?), maybe some sort of intervention is possible, using XML? I don't know I'm afraid -- XML is merely a parameter setting system to me, I have no idea how it is used for programmng.

Sorry.

Pete

44 minutes ago, Luke Kolin said:

FWIW, here's the log (I have a LUA script that IIRC you wrote that logs the LVAR values - note how quickly they change)....

But Lua is slower that a program could be to do the same thang, and the fastest changes there appear to be of the order of 100 mSecs or more per change. Isn't that enough for you to see it? What sort of programming are you doing?

You said:

47 minutes ago, Luke Kolin said:

capture a brief (even for a single frame)

There's none in the log that brief, so I'm not sure what the log is to illustrate.  Unless of course the frame rate waa 10 fps or less. I don't think there's any way FSUIPC, let alone Lua, will see very quick changes, of the order of any reasonably usable frame rate. It might do if it were a SimConnect variable, but L:Vars are available through SimConnect.

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

But Lua is slower that a program could be to do the same thang, and the fastest changes there appear to be of the order of 100 mSecs or more per change. Isn't that enough for you to see it? What sort of programming are you doing?

Thank you for reminding me that the other LVARs were being read in time. I think I've tracked down the problem but I'll need to double-check in the morning.

Appreciate you being my second set of eyes (or neurons!)

Cheers!

Luke