The simFlight Network Forums

MakeRwys_scenery.cfg not being created

Hi Pete,

I have MakeRwys v4.85 in the C:\Prepar3D v4 directory and AddonOrganizer v1.38b11 installed in C:\Users\Me\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Lorby-SI AddonOrganizer_P3D_V4.

When I run MakeRwys (in both normal and admin modes), the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg is not created and the initial few lines of the Runways.txt file show:

Make Runways File: Version 4.85 by Pete Dowson
Reading (null) SCENERY.CFG ...
 CFG file being used is: "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SCENERY.CFG"

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Can you let me know the Lorby registry key that MakeRwys checks for so I can see if it is there?

Thanks,

Charlie K

24 minutes ago, crwk78 said:

I have MakeRwys v4.85 in the C:\Prepar3D v4 directory and AddonOrganizer v1.38b11 installed in C:\Users\Me\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Lorby-SI AddonOrganizer_P3D_V4.

Did you use the installer for AddOnOrganizer? If not, or if you moved it, the Registry entry will be incorrect.

25 minutes ago, crwk78 said:

Can you let me know the Lorby registry key that MakeRwys checks for so I can see if it is there?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AddonOrganizer_P3D_V4
Install_Dir.

Also, iin a day or two there will be a new MakeRunways available, supplied with a special version of AddOnOrganizer which sits with MakeRunways and geared to only do what is needed to make that file.

Pete

I used the installer every time I’ve installed it (about 5 times whilst troubleshooting today) both in normal and admin mode and always to the default path but that registry entry isn’t there. Strange. Can I just add it?

The MakeRwys_scenery.cfg used to be there a while ago, I deleted it troubleshooting as MakeRwys wasn’t picking up addon scenery, thinking MakeRwys would just create a new one but it didn’t, so that’s when I reinstalled Lorby, but with no success.

I’ll wait until the new versions come out and install afresh.

Hi Pete, some feedback on 4.86, all files in zip copied to C:\Prepar3d v4, Windows 10 Pro. Latest Lorby Addon Organizer installed as per above.

First of all,  MakeRwys_scenery.cfg is being created again, only when I run MakeRwys in admin mode, so the above issues are no longer relevant.

MakeRwys.exe in normal mode: No MakeRwys_scenery.cfg created, no running of LorbySceneryExport.exe so no creation of LorbyScenery.cfg either. MakeRwys reads default scenery.cfg.

MakeRwys.exe in admin mode: MakeRwys_scenery.cfg is created, LorbySceneryExport.exe appears to run but no creation of LorbyScenery.cfg. MakeRwys still reads default scenery.cfg.

Manually running LorbySceneryExport.exe and then MakeRwys.exe in admin mode: LorbyScenery.cfg created with LorbySceneryExport.exe. MakeRwys_scenery.cfg created. MakeRwys reads MakeRwys_scenery.cfg.

I then moved the LorbyScenery.cfg file out of the folder and ran MakeRwys (admin). It still reads the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg.

I then replaced the LorbyScenery.cfg, removed the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg and ran MakeRwys (admin). Despite creating a new MakeRwys_scenery.cfg, it read the default scenery.cfg. 

I then ran MakeRwys again without any further changes and it read the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg.

Can you replicate this?

Charlie K

4 minutes ago, crwk78 said:

MakeRwys.exe in admin mode: MakeRwys_scenery.cfg is created, LorbySceneryExport.exe appears to run but no creation of LorbyScenery.cfg. MakeRwys still reads default scenery.cfg.

Sorry, this one is confusing. Are you saying MakeRwys is IGNORING the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg file?

What is "LorbyScenery.cfg". That isn't to do with MakeRwys.

6 minutes ago, crwk78 said:

Manually running LorbySceneryExport.exe and then MakeRwys.exe in admin mode: LorbyScenery.cfg created with LorbySceneryExport.exe. MakeRwys_scenery.cfg created. MakeRwys reads MakeRwys_scenery.cfg.

Here it is getting even more confusing. What are yo actually doing? Why not follow the instructions. Put both MakeRwys.EXE and LorbySceneryExport.EXE in the P3D folder, then just run MakeRwys. All the rest of what you are doing seems unnecessary and confusing! It was all simplified thanks to LorbySceneryExport being provided!

8 minutes ago, crwk78 said:

Can you replicate this?

I really don't know what you want me to replicate. None of what you are doing is realted to what you are supposed to do. Sorry.

Pete

53 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

What is "LorbyScenery.cfg". That isn't to do with MakeRwys.

LorbyScenery.cfg is referred to in the P3D3 and P3D4 Lorby Readme document as the file created by LorbySceneryExport.exe. As a result I had assumed this was the LorbySceneryExport equivalent of Addon organizer's MakeRwys_scenery.cfg. In a good example of confirmation bias I then misread the MakeRwys User Manual sentence which says: 

"MakeRunways will then automatically use either Lorby-Si program to create a file called MakeRwys_Scenery.cfg in your P3D3 or P3D4 folder." 

I thought manual omitted an 'or' part of the sentence and should have read "MakeRunways will then automatically use either Lorby-Si program to create a file called MakeRwys_Scenery.cfg , or LorbySceneryExport to create a file called LorbyScenery.cfg , in your P3D3 or P3D4 folder".

I've now re-read the sentence and realised it makes perfect sense without an 'or' bit in it. Now I understand that LorbyScenery.cfg is created for no reason (at least related to MakeRunways), it makes things a little more simple so I can summarise, at least on my PC that:

1) MakeRwys needs to be run in Admin mode to create and read the MakeRwys_Scenery.cfg and

2) MakeRwys does not use MakeRwys_scenery.cfg if there is not a file of that name in the directory when MakeRwys is run. In other words, when running MakeRwys for the first time, it creates the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg, but does not use it. If you run MakeRwys again immediately afterwards, it will read the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg. That makes me wonder if, on subsequent runs, it is reading the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg already in the directory or the one it has just created..

Sorry for any confusion!

33 minutes ago, crwk78 said:

Now I understand that LorbyScenery.cfg is created for no reason (at least related to MakeRunways),

It isn't created here. i think it only gets created as a default if no filename is given wqhen it is run. MakeRwys runs it WITH a command line parameter giving the locationand name for the CFG file it uses.

If you have that default file it is because you ran LorbySceneryExport.exe separately, and with no parameter to tell it otherwise.

33 minutes ago, crwk78 said:

In other words, when running MakeRwys for the first time, it creates the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg, but does not use it.

Ah! That shouldn't be so. It is supposed to give time to allow the file to be created.  This has always been the case, even before this new method, and yours if the first report of that not working. I shall extend the time. Perhaps your disk or processor is rather slower than others.

[LATER]

Just checked. It allows up to 20 seconds for the Lorby program to do its job. I'll extend that to 40 seconds, Surely that will be enough?

I'll also delete the previous file before executing the Lorby program, so you'll know it isn't the wrong one. If it still fails, the log will show that it used the main SCENERY.CFG file.

Pete

Hi Pete,

It’s a 2yr old high-end PC. The file is created / time updated within a second of running MakeRwys so I don’t think it’s a time thing.

Try deleting the file and running MakeRwys. In my case, the file is recreated (within a second), but it isn’t used in the output.

If I run MakeRwys immediately after, the file is updated (within a second), and it is used this time round, and indeed for every further attempt.

If you have teamviewer, I can demonstrate this for you, or send a quick video.

Charlie K

1 hour ago, crwk78 said:

Try deleting the file and running MakeRwys. In my case, the file is recreated (within a second), but it isn’t used in the output.

If I run MakeRwys immediately after, the file is updated (within a second), and it is used this time round, and indeed for every further attempt.

Very strange. I'll experiment here. No need for TV.

Pete

Please try 4.861, now uploaded. I didn't manage to reproduce the problem but I did see a flaw in part of my logic, and that's now corrected. It does delete the MakeRwys_scenery.cfg file before getting a new one created, so it should be evident from the first few lines of Runways.txt (the log) if it went wrong. I don't see how it can here, assuming the Lorby program works.

Pete