The simFlight Network Forums

reset an engine blow-out via FSUIPC offset?

Hi to all,

thanks to my latest discussion with Pete I'm playing around with FSUPIC offsets and event intercepting and currently I want to try out whether an engine-blow out can be prevented when for example flying in icing conditions (eg. inside a TS) as some add-ons (like FS Captain) trigger an engine blow out if the anti-icers are not turned on. In the FSUPIC offset status list I found the offset 0B6B which seems to control the fail mode bitwise for each engine. I'm testing on the PMDG 747-800i (the old version, not the QOSII) in FSX. My idea is intercepting the status change of this offset when it occurs and immediately reset it to 0 (which means all engines ok). Then I expected no more engine failures to happen or at least to see them being reset after a few seconds. But somehow this doesn't seem to work. Can this be aircraft specific (PMDG is always a little bit tricky)? or can it be that this procedure doesn't work in general (as suggested by ?SimC and ?SimE)? or am I intervening at the wrong offset? Or is my code simply wrong?

function failure(offset, value)

if value ~= 0 then ipc.writeUB(offset,0) end

end

event.intercept(0x0B6B,"UB","failure")

Any help is appreciated, kind regards

draci

42 minutes ago, draci said:

In the FSUPIC offset status list I found the offset 0B6B which seems to control the fail mode bitwise for each engine. I'm testing on the PMDG 747-800i (the old version, not the QOSII) in FSX. My idea is intercepting the status change of this offset when it occurs and immediately reset it to 0 (which means all engines ok). Then I expected no more engine failures to happen or at least to see them being reset after a few seconds. But somehow this doesn't seem to work. Can this be aircraft specific (PMDG is always a little bit tricky)?

Most FSUIPC offsets contain data (and set data) for the basic FS simulation engine. Sophisticated aircraft such as those made by PMDG are written with their own subsystems and the underlying simulation is overridden or avoided in many areas.

46 minutes ago, draci said:

can it be that this procedure doesn't work in general (as suggested by ?SimC and ?SimE)?

The "?" means that, although it is implemented, it isn't known whether it works. I normally confirm it one way or the other based on feedback, but folks interested in such detail tend to be using add-ons like PMDG's, so it hasn't happened.  Many of the offset data and its operation derived originally from hacking into FS98, FS2000, FS2002 and FS2004, then being implemented in SimConnect in FSX after MS finally realised that folks wanted more flexibility in the interfaces. 

For the PMDG aircraft you might find something you can use in the data provided by the PMDG code itself, which FSUIPC maps into a different set of offsets. There's a document listing those in your FSUIPC documents folder. But those are only read-outs, you can't write to them to change them. The header (.h) file in the aircraft's SDK folder lists special "custom controls" to actually operate things.

Really, in order to try to fix the failures (which surely you can stop anyway if you don't want them?) you'd probably need to know all the symptoms or results, in the values read, and try to do something about them. But that seems unlikely to be possible knowing how much PMDG likes realism.

Pete

• Upvote 1