The simFlight Network Forums

ShortAircraftNameOK=Substring not working

I have FSUIPC set up with the UseProfiles=Files option and the ShortAircraftNameOK=Substring option. I already have aircraft specific profiles set up for everything I fly; however, the profiles do not work with different variants of the same aircraft.

Example: For the Milviz DHC-3 Turbine Otter, the aircraft.cfg file contains the line "Title=Milviz DHC3 Turbine X", where X = the number 1 to 4 (there are four variants). In my FSUIPC profile.ini for this aircraft, I have the following sections - [AXES.DHC], [JOYSTICKCALIBRATION.DHC], and [BUTTONS.DHC]. I'm not sure why FSUIPC isn't picking up the 'DHC' and applying to all aircraft?

Thanks.

Milviz DHC-3.ini

FSUIPC5.log

5 minutes ago, snp227 said:

Example: For the Milviz DHC-3 Turbine Otter, the aircraft.cfg file contains the line "Title=Milviz DHC3 Turbine X", where X = the number 1 to 4 (there are four variants). In my FSUIPC profile.ini for this aircraft, I have the following sections - [AXES.DHC], [JOYSTICKCALIBRATION.DHC], and [BUTTONS.DHC]. I'm not sure why FSUIPC isn't picking up the 'DHC' and applying to all aircraft?

You've not provided the correct file. it's controlled in the main FSUIPC INI file.

Is an aircraft with the shortened name "DHC" listed in the [Profiles.DHC] section of your INI file?

I think you are mixing up the Profile Name (which can be anything) and the list of aircraft assigned to that Profile.

Pete

16 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

You've not provided the correct file. it's controlled in the main FSUIPC INI file.

Is an aircraft with the shortened name "DHC" listed in the [Profiles.DHC] section of your INI file?

I think you are mixing up the Profile Name (which can be anything) and the list of aircraft assigned to that Profile.

Pete

Here is the additional file.

FSUIPC5.ini

2 hours ago, snp227 said:

Here is the additional file

But that INI file contains no defined profile  called "DHC"! Have you sent an INI from another sim installation? The profile lists you have in that fie which mention DHC are just these:

[Profile.DHC-8-400]
1=MJC8Q400_SAS
2=MJC8Q400_AUB

and

[Profile.Milviz DHC-3]
1=Milviz DHC3 Turbine 2
2=MilViz DHC3 Turbine  Amphib 1
3=Milviz DHC3 Turbine 1

So, with this INI file, your DHC assignments in your "Milviz DHC-3.ini" file are not being used by any aircraft. Did you manually change the [Axes.DHC] and other such section names? That's not good.

What you actually should have done is simply abbreviate one of the aircraft name entries in the main Profiles section. i.e.

[Profile.Milviz DHC-3]
1=DHC

The Profile name still stays "Milviz DHC-3" as you originally set.

How did you misunderstand this so much? The "ShortAircraftname" facility means what it says, listing short parts of the aircraft name instead of the complete name that gets listed when you assign profiles automatically. It's nothing at all to do with Profile names.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I am not certain how I got so confused. I was working off of APPENDIX 2: About the Aircraft Specific option and “ShortAircraftNameOK” in the advanced user's guide. Apparently I'm not that advanced; I was in fact changing section names to reflect the string of text I wanted to use (i.e. [Axes.DHC]).

All appears to be working now; I am using DHC3 as the short name to avoid FSUIPC picking up anything for my DHC-8 aircraft.

17 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

But that INI file contains no defined profile  called "DHC"! Have you sent an INI from another sim installation? The profile lists you have in that fie which mention DHC are just these:

[Profile.DHC-8-400]
1=MJC8Q400_SAS
2=MJC8Q400_AUB

and

[Profile.Milviz DHC-3]
1=Milviz DHC3 Turbine 2
2=MilViz DHC3 Turbine  Amphib 1
3=Milviz DHC3 Turbine 1

So, with this INI file, your DHC assignments in your "Milviz DHC-3.ini" file are not being used by any aircraft. Did you manually change the [Axes.DHC] and other such section names? That's not good.

What you actually should have done is simply abbreviate one of the aircraft name entries in the main Profiles section. i.e.

[Profile.Milviz DHC-3]
1=DHC

The Profile name still stays "Milviz DHC-3" as you originally set.

How did you misunderstand this so much? The "ShortAircraftname" facility means what it says, listing short parts of the aircraft name instead of the complete name that gets listed when you assign profiles automatically. It's nothing at all to do with Profile names.

Pete