The simFlight Network Forums

FS2004 clouds and updates

Hi,

Ready for take-off I downloaded real weather inside FS2004 (static weather, without 15 minutes updates).

I read in many FS docs that we can get a smooth transition between weather stations, but I found while flying that some clouds pumps in and out, not a smooth transition.

Probably it is a FS problem since everything is static, but anyway to stop the fast weather changes (clouds) ???

Thanks,

I read in many FS docs that we can get a smooth transition between weather stations, but I found while flying that some clouds pumps in and out, not a smooth transition.

The smoothest you can get it is by going to Options-Settings-Display-Weather and setting all top three sliders to maximum. Most certainly never use anything but 3D clouds.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Anyway to smooth transitions between stations ?

For example:

Station 1: few clouds, unlimited visibility

Station 2: overcast, visibility 2 miles

In the tests I did in the half way from station1 to station2 the weather changes immediatelly.

Thanks again,

In the tests I did in the half way from station1 to station2 the weather changes immediatelly.

If you use FSUIPC's visibility smoothing, the visibility shouldn't change immediately. But I can't do much about clouds -- you should be able to see them in the distance and approach them, though. I've never had them suddenly appear or disappear, at least not the 3D ones.

Pete

Guest Anonymous

If you use FSUIPC's visibility smoothing, the visibility shouldn't change immediately. But I can't do much about clouds -- you should be able to see them in the distance and approach them, though. I've never had them suddenly appear or disappear, at least not the 3D ones.

Pete

does it mean it's better to use full 3D clouds and (for performance reasons) reduce them from maximum to high ?

cheers

Luca

does it mean it's better to use full 3D clouds and (for performance reasons) reduce them from maximum to high ?

Well, it's only my opinion, but I hate the 2D clouds. They pop in and out and sometimes flicker. I'd put up with any lower frame rate to keep the 3D clouds at 100%

The problems with not having the other two sliders at maximum are things like odd looking horizons and clouds which sometimes appear to get cut off with straight line edges. So I always have all three sliders at maximum. If this reduces performance too much, try limiting the visibilty more using FSUIPC's maxima and graduation facilities.

I've toyed with the lower slider, the detail/quality one, and frankly don't seem to get much effect from that at all.

For performance, go find Chris Willis's higher performance cloud graphics. They look just as good to my eyes but give noticeably better speed and smoothness.

If your card is a nVidia based one, you should also try the recent approved drivers - 52.16. From what I read they reduce cloud stutter as well as being faster. I'm using a Parhelia, so I cannot attest to that first-hand I'm afraid.

Regards,

Pete