The simFlight Network Forums

Instant Replay and P3Dv4

It looks like FSUIPC5 and FSUIPC4 (or more likely, the simulators) handle instant replay different.

In P3Dv4, offset 0628 does not appear to be nonzero, offset 3365 is zero and I continue to get data even when I'm in instant replay mode - this of course is not good because I'm reading the replay rather than actual sim data. In P3Dv3, I do not see this behavior - offset 3365 is set to 1 when in instant replay mode, whereas 3365 is zero in P3Dv4.

What is the expected behavior, and what should I use to properly detect Instant replay? It doesn't appear that offset 0628 is correct.

FWIW, I tried with UsePDK=No and got the same results (at least I think, I didn't see anything in the log to say that PDK mode wasn't being used). In the log, I do see the messages where FSUIPC is detecting that the replay mode is on, but for whatever reason it's not being sent in offset 3365 or 0628.

Cheers!

Luke

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Luke,

there were some changes in the way the sim mode is derived that were introduced in FSUIPC v5.15. See note 5 in the 5.15 history document. There were also some changes in the use of offset 3365 (which is the 'in-menu' or 'dialog' flag) in v5.14 (please also see History document for details)

The sim mode is now taken from the PDK and stored in offset 3402 as a bitwise flag. Please check the offset status document for this offset. There is no change in offset 0628 - this should still be 1 when in instant replay mode and 0 when off.

Cheers,

John

5 hours ago, John Dowson said:

The sim mode is now taken from the PDK and stored in offset 3402 as a bitwise flag. Please check the offset status document for this offset. There is no change in offset 0628 - this should still be 1 when in instant replay mode and 0 when off.

Thanks, John. Can you please revalidate 0628 in P3Dv4.4? It appears to remain zero even when in instant replay.

I can switch to using 3402 in the worst case, but how will this offset operate in cases where the user has disabled PDK?

Cheers!

Luke

Hi Luke,

I can confirm that 0628 does indeed remain zero. However, looking at the offsets document, this is defined as 'No' for both read and write, i.e. Not Supported.

I guess it could be added, but I am not sure this is worth doing anymore now that offset 3402 contains the more detailed mode info.

Cheers,

John

I have already worked around it in my code base (I think), but I'd strongly recommend populating 0628 from 3402 - one of the less touted virtues of FSUIPC from a developer's standpoint is that it abstracts away a fair number of sim-specific details and allows a cleaner code base from our perspective. Clearly you shouldn't twist yourselves into knots to maintain that common interface, but wherever you can with reasonable effort, you probably should.

Cheers!

Luke