The simFlight Network Forums

New graphics card and lost fsuipc assignments

Dear all,

after upgrading my graphics card my multimonitor setup with a myriad of  FSUIPC key and button assignments, LINDA assignments,  .lua scripts, autohotkey scripts, PMDG key combos and VRInsight software assignments doesn't work anymore in FSX, I think I kept my monitor arrangement and resolutions in Windows 7 unchanged (4 monitors, with a driver update) but the graphics card running the 4 monitors has different connections (DisplayPort, HDMI) instead of DVI and unfortunately I forgot to save the FSUIPC.ini file before changing the card. Is there a way to get my assignments back? This would save me hours of work of setting everything up again. Strangely enough I had to reregister FSX again after the GPU change and I'm not sure whether I used the same validation key as I did some 20 years ago....  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sorry, but if you've lost your .ini file, you've lost your assignments and have to redo ;(

Check that you don't have it somewhere though, should still be there after a graphics card update - or did you trash your FS installation (no version mentioned! Always helpful....)  and re-install also? Or change your hard disk/ssd?

Cheers,

John

Thank you John for your quick reply,

No I simply plugged the monitors to the new card, no reinstall, no trashing FSX though. I mean, the .ini file is still there (I don't even know whether it has changed!), and yes I do have saved a few copies over the years, but I think they are useless for the new configuration anyway, or am I mistaken?  So can it be that FSUIPC recognized the new graphics card and monitor connections when I fired up FSX for the first time after the card change and the .ini file was overwritten  with new data?

Changing graphics cards/monitors should have no effect on FSUIPC, so your ini should be ok. Problems can arise for system updates/changes when joystick ids change, but these problems can be avoided by using the "Joy Letters" facility, or overcome by manually editing your ini file (or re-assigning joy ids in the registry).

Cheers,

John