The simFlight Network Forums

Quick question - is this possible with FSUIPC?

Hey,

I've been an avid simmer for a long time (currently on P3DV4) and heard a lot of great things about FSUIPC. Since I haven't found the need to do too much in-depth technical stuff, I haven't gotten around to actually using it. I use a Logitech Freedom 2.4 (wireless) joystick which, as you might know, goes to sleep after 2 minutes of inactivity. When this happens, it's not uncommon for the flight controls to inexplicably be yanked (causing the plane to enter a sudden steep dive, or suddenly turn to the right, or for the throttles to cut off/go to full power, etc.). These kinds of things also happen sometimes when the joystick reconnects after having been in this power saving mode.

My simple question is whether FSUIPC has the ability to prevent this behaviour, so I don't have to constantly be on edge, and not have to worry about my flights being ruined by this really annoying hardware quirk.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by hotwheels

1 hour ago, hotwheels said:

goes to sleep after 2 minutes of inactivity.

FSUIPC can't help you with this. For USB sleep problems, its generally a matter of configuring the power management settings for USB hub. However, it seems to be your wireless device itself that is going to sleep (to save battery), so I don't think there is much you can do, apart from maybe contact Logitech support to see if there is a way to turn off (or extend the time of) this 'feature' of your device.

John

Thanks for your response. 

I don't really mind having to click a button to wake the device. The main issue is the accompanying effect of the controls going crazy (until I move the joystick around a bit). 

Some Googling revealed that FSUIPC has something called "input spike suppression" which sounds like exactly what I need. However, I'm not sure if it would also apply to my case and prevent the spiking upon disconnecting/reconnecting. If so, that would be an excellent solution for my issue. 

Regards

I don't think that "input spike suppression" will help. Its not a 'spike', its caused by your wireless joystick device reconnecting and being re-scanned, so the axis values will be reset until it receives a new input value. I'm not sure there is anything you can do - I've asked Pete to see if he has any ideas that may help.

Regards,

John

I see, it makes more sense now. The current way I get around it is by pausing the sim and briefly moving the joystick before unpausing again to give it that new input value. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. Sadly it sometimes happens upon disconnecting too, and there's nothing I can do about that.

Thinking out loud (and I have no clue about the inner workings of FSUIPC, so forgive my ignorance), it would seem that if there was some way to set "default" input values upon connecting/scanning and calibrate it such that they correspond to the joystick's neutral position, this would effectively solve the issue. It's definitely a super niche thing that wouldn't be useful for 99% of users though. Maybe removing deadzones would help too, since the new input value should logically be set instantly upon reconnection in the absence of a deadzone.

I greatly appreciate you taking your time to assist me with this very specific problem. If all else fails, I'll have to get a wired joystick - just figured I'd see if I could get around this thing first, as I'm very fond of the stick otherwise.

Edited by hotwheels

Hi,

There was a tool available at http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/Caffeine/Caffeine.exe fixing this problem for the Logitech cordless joystick.

The site isn't available any longer. Maybe you find another source. But don't mix it up with a similar program with the same name, which is keeping your PC alive. This version was especially programmed for the Logitech joystick.

Rgds
Reinhard

On 8/21/2019 at 5:29 PM, aua668 said:

Hi,

There was a tool available at http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/Caffeine/Caffeine.exe fixing this problem for the Logitech cordless joystick.

The site isn't available any longer. Maybe you find another source. But don't mix it up with a similar program with the same name, which is keeping your PC alive. This version was especially programmed for the Logitech joystick.

Rgds
Reinhard

Thanks for your response! I've heard of this tool but haven't had much luck in finding it. Unfortunately, it seems like all the links have been long dead.

20 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Could you try activating axis logging (from the FSUIPC logging tab). Generate a log file that exhibits your problem (i.e. disconnection, reconnecting and going haywire). It will be quite large, so zip it up and attach to a post and I'll take a look to see whats happening. 

Sorry for the late response. I have so little free time in the weekdays, what with work and all. I'll be sure to do a test flight reproducing the issue with logging enabled tomorrow and upload the log file. Cheers!

• 2 years later...

Hi,

does anyone still have this application? I have the logitech freedom 2.4 and need caffeine to get it to work properly but I can't find it anywhere. I just find posts in forums which always point to the wingmanteam link which is dead. Would upload it to my google drive and post a link here to make it available for everybody again.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks

Richy