The simFlight Network Forums

USB 2.0 PORTS

Peat,  I just have a couple of questions for you. I am using FSUIPC4 and it is a great program.  I have a Motion Platform Flight Simulator and I am using a crossover cable to run the motion on a lap top to my main computer.  On my main computer I am running many USB controlled items,a total of 10 ports.  If I were to purchase Wide FS using another computer would that take pressure away from my main computer so that it would not slow down my system?  and also I am trying to connect a 10 inch touch screen USB powered, it works but I can't undock and move gauges from main screen to other screens and have them working.  I am considering purchasing a 12 port multi TT hub. What's your thought?

Terry.

6 hours ago, hpwells1 said:

I am using a crossover cable to run the motion on a lap top to my main computer.  On my main computer I am running many USB controlled items,a total of 10 ports.  If I were to purchase Wide FS using another computer would that take pressure away from my main computer so that it would not slow down my system?

I don't really think a large number of USB ports in use will slow down your system. After all, most of the time they are not doing anything. What makes you suspect they are?

A WideClient connection for devices will certainly work fine for buttons and switches, but joystick axes are not supported that way. this is mainly because the results would not be good enough. no matter how good the network, it could never be as responsive as a direct connection.

6 hours ago, hpwells1 said:

I am trying to connect a 10 inch touch screen USB powered, it works but I can't undock and move gauges from main screen to other screens and have them working.

If that screen is set as an extension to the main screen, via the Windows facilities ("extend my desktop"), then undocked gauges should work there. This isn't across a Network, of course.

Pete

I don't really think a large number of USB ports in use will slow down your system. After all, most of the time they are not doing anything. What makes you suspect they are?

When I connect the 10inch touch screen, plug it into a port on my main computer, it works however when I undock a gauge and move it to a screen that I have used before, not the touch screen, it will not work.  If I disconnect the touch screen and than move the gauge it works.

If that screen is set as an extension to the main screen, via the Windows facilities ("extend my desktop"), then undocked gauges should work there. This isn't across a Network, of course.

The touch screen is set as a extension ("extend my desktop") using Display Link Software.

Terry.

9 hours ago, hpwells1 said:

When I connect the 10inch touch screen, plug it into a port on my main computer, it works however when I undock a gauge and move it to a screen that I have used before, not the touch screen, it will not work.  If I disconnect the touch screen and than move the gauge it works.

Hmm. Sorry, I cannot explain that. But I doubt that it is related to the number of USB connections, though I suppose you could easily check that by disconnecting all the others.

I'm afraid that this is really a problem which needs discussing on a different Forum. I'm only really knowledgeable about the software I writeand support.

Pete