The simFlight Network Forums

understand pitch value from fsuipc

Hello,

I'm trying to read the pitch of the aircraft from fSUIPC (offset 0578). This is for an add-on I'm working on for blind flight sim users. I'm noticing that the pitch never actually hits 0 at level flight. I was flying level at 15000 feet and the pitch was fluctuating around -1.9. Which I understand is a slight pitch up. Can anyone explain what is going on? This is in a b737.

In my add-on, I want to have a mode where I will play a series of tones, depending on the pitch of the aircraft. This is mainly used for landing. However, I need to know how to calibrate things. 

12 hours ago, Jason Fayre said:

I'm noticing that the pitch never actually hits 0 at level flight. I was flying level at 15000 feet and the pitch was fluctuating around -1.9. Which I understand is a slight pitch up. Can anyone explain what is going on? This is in a b737.

Most aircraft naturaly fly at their most efficient cruise speed slightly pitch up. If you pitch down (eg to level) you will need more power and so consume more fuel.

Try the effect of making small throttle changes and you'll see.

12 hours ago, Jason Fayre said:

In my add-on, I want to have a mode where I will play a series of tones, depending on the pitch of the aircraft. This is mainly used for landing. However, I need to know how to calibrate things. 

You'd probably be dealing with changes in the order of 5 degrees and more. For meaningful feed back via tones it is probably not enough just to use  the pitch alone -- flaps, gear, and thrust all play a part.

Pete