The simFlight Network Forums

Move FSUIPC to new computer question

Good day,

I have just purchased a new computer and want to move FSUIPC (registered) to the new computer. I also have 2 purchased copies of WideClient. I have only activated 1  of the WideClient copies on my laptop.

What I want to do is install FSUIPC on the new computer, and my second WideClient on the computer that I will be removing FSUIPC. I will be leaving the other Wide Client on the laptop, as I intend to use the 3 (laptop and 2 desktops) for FSX. A little overkill but I enjoy the challenge of getting everything working to my satisfaction.

Am I OK to do this using the copies that I purchased a few years back. I can supply my order number and receipt if necessary.

Thank you for your assistance

Hal

7 minutes ago, HalCon said:

I have just purchased a new computer and want to move FSUIPC (registered) to the new computer. I also have 2 purchased copies of WideClient. I have only activated 1  of the WideClient copies on my laptop.

You don't actually activate wideClient, just WideServer, which is done in the FSUIPC Installer. You can have as many Clients attached as you like with one licence.

9 minutes ago, HalCon said:

What I want to do is install FSUIPC on the new computer, and my second WideClient on the computer that I will be removing FSUIPC. I will be leaving the other Wide Client on the laptop, as I intend to use the 3 (laptop and 2 desktops) for FSX. A little overkill but I enjoy the challenge of getting everything working to my satisfaction.

Am I OK to do this using the copies that I purchased a few years back. I can supply my order number and receipt if necessary.

Yes, just Install FSUIPC on your new PC and register both FSUIPC and WideFs using your existing registrations. where you put WideClient is up to do, it isn't registered. It'ds the access to FSUIPC + WideServer which is registered.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

For some reason I thought it was the client that I paid for 2 of. Guess I paid for 2 of the server. 

What is the best way to transfer and keep as many of the settings as possible. I have an Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Flight stick, Tthrustmaster throttle, and CH Pro pedals installed that will be moving to the new computer.

Love how FSUIPC works by the way. Some of the best spent money for my sim.

Hal

8 hours ago, HalCon said:

What is the best way to transfer and keep as many of the settings as possible. I have an Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Flight stick, Tthrustmaster throttle, and CH Pro pedals installed that will be moving to the new computer.

First make sure you are using "Joy Letters" (see the Chapter in the User Guide), as it will make it a lot easier to keep your assignments, just editing the JoyNames section on the new PC.

Then, after installing FSUIPC on the new PC, copy in the FSUIPC INI file from the old one. It probably won't get the assignments correct initially, but we can sort out that provided you've used Joy Letters, not left it to the ID numbers.

Pete

15 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

First make sure you are using "Joy Letters" (see the Chapter in the User Guide), as it will make it a lot easier to keep your assignments, just editing the JoyNames section on the new PC.

Then, after installing FSUIPC on the new PC, copy in the FSUIPC INI file from the old one. It probably won't get the assignments correct initially, but we can sort out that provided you've used Joy Letters, not left it to the ID numbers.

Pete

I am preparing the ini file now. From what you wrote, I only need to manually edit the [JoyNames] section?

Current:

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=no
0=CH PRO PEDALS USB                                       
0.GUID={D54933C0-AF11-11E9-8001-444553540000}
1=CH ECLIPSE YOKE
1.GUID={D54ABA60-AF11-11E9-8002-444553540000}
2=T.16000M
2.GUID={D54ABA60-AF11-11E9-8003-444553540000}
3=TWCS Throttle
3.GUID={D54ABA60-AF11-11E9-8004-444553540000}

After edit:

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=yes
A=CH PRO PEDALS USB                                       
A.GUID={D54933C0-AF11-11E9-8001-444553540000}
B=CH ECLIPSE YOKE
B.GUID={D54ABA60-AF11-11E9-8002-444553540000}
C=T.16000M
C.GUID={D54ABA60-AF11-11E9-8003-444553540000}
D=TWCS Throttle
D.GUID={D54ABA60-AF11-11E9-8004-444553540000}

Am I heading in the right direction?

Thanks

Hal

NO! As instructed in the user guide, you only need to set Yes for AutoAssignLetters. Leave the other lines as they were — they are needed to allow FSUIPC to replace the numbers by letters in your assignments. You’ll need to undo your changes!

After setting the Yes, run the sim. The letters will be assigned automatically. That’s the point.

Editing Joynames will come later, on the other PC after you run FS once there. The GUIDs will be different, that’s why.

Pete

OK, I wasn't sure but I thought it might be that way. I haven't changed anything yet. Will likely be firing up the sim tonight some time.

Just finishing some of the installs on the new computer.

I have been reading through some of the other messages, and I have to say the the support here is exceptional. 

Thanks Pete

Hal

I think I have all the flight sim files migrated over to the new computer. All hardware attached and recognized by Win 10. 

I have FSX installed in C\FSX. I have FSUIPC installed on the new computer but I have not registered it yet. It is still installed on this computer which will be networked to the flight sim computer with Wide Client. I now have Wide Client set up on this one but want to remove FSUIPC and WIDEFS before registering on the new computer.

What is my next step in moving the .ini file over. I have run FSX to update the ini with the letter designations and it all went smoothly as far as I can tell.

I have not yet run FSX on the new computer since moving the files and the hardware. 

Thanks for the assistance.

5 hours ago, HalCon said:

I now have Wide Client set up on this one but want to remove FSUIPC and WIDEFS before registering on the new computer.

No, leave it be for now.

5 hours ago, HalCon said:

What is my next step in moving the .ini file over. I have run FSX to update the ini with the letter designations and it all went smoothly as far as I can tell.

Register FSUIPC on the new PC then run FSX once. Close it down then copy the old PC's INI file over to the FSX Modules folder in the new PC, replacing the one which is there.

Then run FSX again on the new PC, then close it down, and paste the  FSUIPC4.LOG and FSUIPC4.INI files here so I can see how to edit your new JoyNames section.

Only then delete the Modules folder on the old PC. There's nothing else to do on the PC.

Pete

8 hours ago, HalCon said:

The files you requested are attached below

Thanks.  

If you look at the [JoyNames] section you will see 4 labels "missing joystick", devices A, B, C, D. And the samed named joysticks have been added as E, F, G and H.  This is because, as expected, the GUIDs have changed -- Windows has generated new ones.

So all that was needed was to rename the E F G and H lines as A, B, C and D, to correspond to their original labels.

I've done this for you. Just replace the entire [Joynames] section with the one below. 

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes
0=CH PRO PEDALS USB                                       
0.GUID={115B0EA0-557B-11EA-8003-444553540000}
1=CH ECLIPSE YOKE
1.GUID={115B0EA0-557B-11EA-8001-444553540000}
2=T.16000M
2.GUID={115B0EA0-557B-11EA-8005-444553540000}
3=TWCS Throttle
3.GUID={115B0EA0-557B-11EA-8002-444553540000}
A=CH PRO PEDALS USB
A.GUID={115B0EA0-557B-11EA-8003-444553540000}
B=CH ECLIPSE YOKE
B.GUID={115B0EA0-557B-11EA-8001-444553540000}
C=T.16000M
C.GUID={115B0EA0-557B-11EA-8005-444553540000}
D=TWCS Throttle
D.GUID={115B0EA0-557B-11EA-8002-444553540000}

Then all of your existing assignments should work as before.

Test it all, and only then remove FSUIPC etc on your old PC.

Now you'll know what to do next time! 😉

Pete

Hello again Pete,

I have a problem that is not likely associated with FSUIPC or WideFS.

When I open the flight sim on the new PC it shows  "WideServer waiting for clients" normal and good.

I start WideClient on two other machines and get "Waiting for a connection". They never connect. I have to assume that I have a setting problem on the new PC. All machines are on a  wired network. Two have static ip's and the laptop is using dynamic IP

The 2 desktops I have are running Win 10 Pro, and the laptop is running Win 10 Home. I have been using the laptop networked to the old PC for several years now using FSUIPC and WideFS with no issues. But it seems that the broadcast from the new computer is not reaching the network. 

I can ping all computers from each other with 1ms or less response time so I know they are all visible to each other. 

My software:

FSX Gold installed on the old computer

FSX Standard with Acceleration installed on the new PC and

I have FSX-SE, currently not installed anywhere.

I realize that this is not likely a problem with FSUIPC, but wonder if you might have a suggestion to share.

Thanks

Hal

7 hours ago, HalCon said:

I start WideClient on two other machines and get "Waiting for a connection". They never connect. I have to assume that I have a setting problem on the new PC. All machines are on a  wired network. Two have static ip's and the laptop is using dynamic IP

Have you set the server IP address or server name, and the protocol to be used, in the WideCliernt.INI file for each client. That is always the first thing to do in such cases, as discussed in the WideFS user guide.

But it seems that the broadcast from the new computer is not reaching the network. 

Don't rely on Broadcasts.  Are all your PCs in the same workgroup? If not, broadcasts won't work. Change the workgroup names to match. (I'm pretty sure this is also in the user guide).

FSX Gold installed on the old computer

FSX Standard with Acceleration installed on the new PC and

WideFS doesn't link two PCs both running FSX. I thought the old PC wasn't going to be used with FSUIPC in any case?

Pete

Pete,

To clarify. FSUIPC has been completely removed from the old computer. When I used it for the flight sim I used the laptop for networking, weather and other things that I could do on a remote. My intentions were to replace the laptop with the old computer using only WideClient . So the only thing FSUIPC related that remains on the old computer is WideClient, which is also on the laptop.

I do not, and will not, use any software that I do not have a license to use. That is why I have 3 copies of FSX, In case I ever want to set up to fly multiplayer on the LAN. If in the future I have need of FSUIC on another computer, I will be paying for another license.

When I got home tonight from work and fired up the new computer I noticed that it sees the old computer on the network now. I am not sure why but I hope to find out.

You have a great product and I am very happy with the performance., and the great support you have given. It is worth every penny spent. After I eat I will be trying to get the applications talking through FSUIPC.

Just now, HalCon said:

To clarify. FSUIPC has been completely removed from the old computer. When I used it for the flight sim I used the laptop for networking, weather and other things that I could do on a remote. My intentions were to replace the laptop with the old computer using only WideClient . So the only thing FSUIPC related that remains on the old computer is WideClient, which is also on the laptop.

I do not, and will not, use any software that I do not have a license to use.

All this is not really relevant to FSUIPC. As a purchaser of an FSUIPC license you are entitled to use it on as many PCs of yours for your private use as you like. There is no restriction to a single PC!

My point was merely that WideFS cannot link to another PC which is also running a version of FS, any version.

Pete

I did not know or suspect that I could install on more that one machine. Not that it matters. 

I was not attempting to connect FSX to FSX. I was only trying to run KAcars and weather on the old computer. 

I will be trying it shortly again and report back here. I have a feeling that I fixed something last night, just don't know what I did that might have fixed it.