The simFlight Network Forums

ipc.lineDisplay

Hi Pete,

With Regard to

ipc.lineDisplay(“Failure Message”, -5)

Are there any facilities at present to set background color and text color in the simconnect lua Message window? in p3dV4 at this time? I read in the manual ipc.display had colour settings but appeared based on your notes to not be available to V4 at this time.

Thanks,

Trev

10 hours ago, Cockpitbuilders said:

With Regard to

ipc.lineDisplay(“Failure Message”, -5)

Are there any facilities at present to set background color and text color in the simconnect lua Message window? in p3dV4 at this time? I read in the manual ipc.display had colour settings but appeared based on your notes to not be available to V4 at this time.

The facility is implemented via the SimConnect_Text function. That doesn't supply any background colour facility at all. The facilities to add lines to the SimConnect text window cannot be set with individual colours, and currently the colour is only set by the ipc.display function.

I don't know if there's room for making more facilities available withon this rather restrictive SimConnect environmnret. In the future I would rather see any new display facilities use the windows functions directly, so that they can be more flexible, and perhaps even re-introduce the "setowndisplay" method for individual Lua displays.

Future development is up to John Dowson (I've retired), but specific improvements willl probably take second place to more urgent needs like supporting MSFS and any future version of P3D.

Pete

Thanks Pete for the quick response. 

I appreciate the more urgent needs that are upon us, and I am so thankful for your support over the years.  I commend you for your retirement, I still have a few years to go prior to me being able to think about that.  I will also thank you for passing the legacy on, so many of us will still be able to benefit from that which has made this hobby a possibility. Please Sir, Enjoy your retirement.

In the interim, for those people researching this topic in future, I got around this by abandoning the simconnect window and instead using the lua facilities to write to a text file, then manipulating the text file to suit my needs.

Best regards to all.

Trev