The simFlight Network Forums

Use FSUIPC to freeze and unfreeze wind directon dynamically in FSX/P3D?

The autopilot in the PMDG 747 usually initiates sharp turns too late which results in unrealistically high turn rates and bank angles. To counteract this, I usually disengage LNAV mode in the PMDG 747 autopilot a few miles before the turn and use HDG SEL mode to fly the turn "semi-manually" by slowly increasing/decreasing the HDG bug incrementally with the effect that the turns become smoother at a more realistic turn rate and with less unrealistic bank than when I let the autopilot command the turn in LNAV mode. However,  if the the winds dynamically change during the turn, especially in gusty conditions, it can happen, that a left turn (heading bug to the left of current heading needed to keep the plane on track) suddenly becomes a right turn (heading bug still at the same position but current heading to keep track suddenly switches to the left of the heading bug in new wind conditions, for example in a strong sudden gust from the left) with the result that the autopilot immediately rolls the plane from a left bank angle to the right at an unrealistically high turn rate and bank angle (S-Turn).  So far I haven't found a solution for this issue, but  my idea was that if I was able  to "freeze" the wind directon and speed  dynamically during the turn (for example by pressing a joystick toggle button) this sudden banking to the opposite side would no longer happen. After the turn  and after engaging LNAV mode again, pressing the toggle button would "unleash" the winds again such that I could keep getting turbulence effects on the plane in level flight. So here's my question:  Is there a way to impement this "wind freeze toggle" in FSUIPC or otherwise? Or did anybody find an alternative solution to the sudden banking when flying a turn in HDG SEL mode subject to sudden changes in wind direction? Any help appreciated.

(Btw, I usually use Active Sky as a weather engine and I am aware that in AS settings you can locally and globally freeze the winds, but there is no way to toggle winds on or off dynamically inflight, so I would basically need to bring up the AS settings menu before and after each turn to achieve what I want which I do not consider a solution.)

Best regards draci

10 hours ago, draci said:

However,  if the the winds dynamically change during the turn, especially in gusty conditions, it can happen, that a left turn (heading bug to the left of current heading needed to keep the plane on track) suddenly becomes a right turn (heading bug still at the same position but current heading to keep track suddenly switches to the left of the heading bug in new wind conditions, for example in a strong sudden gust from the left) with the result that the autopilot immediately rolls the plane from a left bank angle to the right at an unrealistically high turn rate and bank angle (S-Turn).  So far I haven't found a solution for this issue,

And what do PMDG say about it? To have such an effect on a plane with as much mass and momentum as a 747 those winds aren't just gusts they are hurricane force gusts!  I think something must be wrong with the flight model.

my idea was that if I was able  to "freeze" the wind directon and speed  dynamically during the turn (for example by pressing a joystick toggle button)

I don't know any way to do that. Sorry. With FSX and the earlier versions of P3D we used a hack to enable direct control of winds, ut even that wouldn't freeze them -- you'd need to keep sending the same wind data over and over and rapidly to stop it changing.

Active Sky used the direct control method too, and FSUIPC doesn't when AS is running.

I am aware that in AS settings you can locally and globally freeze the winds, but there is no way to toggle winds on or off dynamically inflight,

HiFi Simulations might be able to add such a facility. You don't say what version of FS or P3D you are using, but we wouldn't consider such hacking in P3D4 or 5. Active Sky has better internal capabilities.

The proper solution is to get the aircraft model fixed. It should be able to cope with such real world conditions.

Pete