The simFlight Network Forums

Can I use this with the mode switch on my X56?

bahnzo

Curious, and my reading here didn't see any potential answers. 

I have a Saitek X56, and the Throttle has a mode switch. Does FSUIPC recognize this so I can use the mode switch to program a button with different commands? A quick test seems to show I can't. 

Edited by bahnzo

I'm not sure about the Saitek X56, but its possible with the mode switch on the saitek yoke.
When you change the mode switch, does FSUIPC see this in the buttons and switches assignment dialog? If so, it should be straightforward to use in FSUIPC.

If not, some folks had to remove/rename a file called SaiD0BAC.PRO (in C:\Windows\System32) to get the mode switch of the yoke recognised. Maybe there is something similar for the X56?

Also, note that FSUIPC only sees the first 32 buttons (0-31), so if the button number of the mode switch is higher than that it won't be recognisd in the assignments panel and you would have to resort to lua to program the button. You can check in the windows game controllers utility to see if your mode switch is recognised there (and what number it has).

Finally, make sure that you have not installed the saitek software or drivers and just use the standard windows drivers.

15 hours ago, John Dowson said:

I'm not sure about the Saitek X56, but its possible with the mode switch on the saitek yoke.
When you change the mode switch, does FSUIPC see this in the buttons and switches assignment dialog? If so, it should be straightforward to use in FSUIPC.

If not, some folks had to remove/rename a file called SaiD0BAC.PRO (in C:\Windows\System32) to get the mode switch of the yoke recognised. Maybe there is something similar for the X56?

Also, note that FSUIPC only sees the first 32 buttons (0-31), so if the button number of the mode switch is higher than that it won't be recognisd in the assignments panel and you would have to resort to lua to program the button. You can check in the windows game controllers utility to see if your mode switch is recognised there (and what number it has).

Finally, make sure that you have not installed the saitek software or drivers and just use the standard windows drivers.

Hi John, thanks for taking the time. FSIUP does not seem to see the mode switch in the buttons and switches assignments. Changing it between modes doesn't show anything in the "Joy#" boxes at the top. I can assign things to a button, but those assignments stick across all modes. 

I don't have that exact file, but I do have one similar, so I'm guessing it's what you mean. It's called: SaiD053C.pro. It appears to be some sort of base level default profile. 

The button limit might an issue. The default windows game controllers utility doesn't list numbers for the throttle buttons, but there are two 8-way hats on the throttle, so if those are being counted as buttons for each direction, then it's certainly over the limit. If not, then probably not. 

Of course I have the saitek drivers and software installed 🙂 And it works well, but the reason I'd really like to use FSUIPC is I noticed it sends the commands directly to the sim, where when I program the throttle with the software it only sends the keystrokes to the active window. Which isn't always MSFS as I'm sure you understand I have other windows on my other monitor open during flight. So I'm constantly having to click back into the MSFS window to get the buttons to work in the sim. 

I included the log, if you have the time I had a question that might help here. I noticed my throttle is listed as having 0 buttons. And then below I noticed it says "265    WARNING: Joystick ID 1 is duplicated in Registry" which is my throttle. Is this causing a problem somehow?

Do you have any suggestions? Should I try removing the .pro file to start? I'm a little reluctant to remove all my software and drivers as they at least work, if not as well as I'd like. 

FSUIPC7.log

8 hours ago, bahnzo said:

I noticed my throttle is listed as having 0 buttons. And then below I noticed it says "265    WARNING: Joystick ID 1 is duplicated in Registry" which is my throttle. Is this causing a problem somehow?

No, its only a warning and nothing to worry about.

The button limit might an issue. The default windows game controllers utility doesn't list numbers for the throttle buttons, but there are two 8-way hats on the throttle, so if those are being counted as buttons for each direction, then it's certainly over the limit. If not, then probably not. 

32 (buttons 0-31) is the standard button limit, but POV buttons (usually) have the 8 button ids from 32-39 which you can assign as either an axis (e.g usually PAN_VIEW, butthis is not working in MSFS) or as buttons.

Do you have any suggestions? Should I try removing the .pro file to start? I'm a little reluctant to remove all my software and drivers as they at least work, if not as well as I'd like.

I would certainly try without the saitek software installed first. You can always re-install it later if needed. I would then try without the drivers, and use the default windows drivers (again, you can always re-install later if needed). Finally you could try without that file - i.e. temporarily rename it. You can revert back to the original name if it doesn't help or causes issues.