The simFlight Network Forums

Carburator heat in the cessna 152 (MS2020)

nantelp

On 6/15/2022 at 4:41 AM, John Dowson said:

You can assign to the axis control Anti Ice Gradual Set Eng1. You can see this is when you activate logging for Axis Controls, open the logging console and move the carb ice lever in the cockpit UI.

Many thanks, John! I figured out a workaround the other day, but this sounds much better. Will report back.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:41 AM, John Dowson said:

You can assign to the axis control Anti Ice Gradual Set Eng1. You can see this is when you activate logging for Axis Controls, open the logging console and move the carb ice lever in the cockpit UI.

Hi John,

I genuinely tried doing this, following your instruction above and using the manual, to no avail. I activated the logging for Axis Controls, opened the logging console and moved the lever. It registered. I then went into the axis assignments and moved the axis I want to use, that seemed to have registered. I used Send to FS as Normal Axis. Then on the right side of the Axis Assignments panel I selected Anti Ice Gradual Set Eng1. I tried different ranges, from -16384 to 16384, and also using smaller ones, but I get no movement visually of the carb heat lever, and I turned on the engine and tried to use it in case maybe it just doesn't show an animation, but the action itself works, and I get nothing. The lever doesn't move, and the carb heat doesn't open and close.

Here is the relevant part from the ini file, and the file itself is attached. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

[Axes.GA Single]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=BX,256,D,1,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
1=BY,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-
2=AX,256,D,7,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: LeftBrake }-
3=AY,256,D,8,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: RightBrake }-
4=AR,256,D,3,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Rudder }-
5=DX,256,D,4,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle }-
7=DZ,B,-16384,16383,67012,0    -{ Entering=ANTI_ICE_GRADUAL_SET_ENG1 }-
8=DR,256,D,6,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Mixture }-

FSUIPC7.ini

20 minutes ago, mryan75 said:

Then on the right side of the Axis Assignments panel I selected Anti Ice Gradual Set Eng1.

Why are you using the right hand side? Axes are assigned on the left hand side...try that...

21 minutes ago, mryan75 said:

I activated the logging for Axis Controls, opened the logging console and moved the lever. It registered.

You didn't need to do this - this is what I did to see what control to use. I mentioned that as that is how you determine what control to assign an axis or button to.

7 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Why are you using the right hand side? Axes are assigned on the left hand side...try that...

You didn't need to do this - this is what I did to see what control to use. I mentioned that as that is how you determine what control to assign an axis or button to.

Sorry for the confusion, now I get it. I was looking for the axis under Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration, rather than Send to FS as Normal Axis. Now I see Anti Ice Gradual Set Eng1, and I can assign it and it works! One little issue is that it only uses the bottom half of the range of the Bravo axis. In other words, the lever all the way down is correctly carb heat on, but as I push the lever up, it goes to full in (ie carb heat off) only halfway up the axis.

Not really that big a deal, but it would be great if it used the full range of the axis.

7 hours ago, mryan75 said:

One little issue is that it only uses the bottom half of the range of the Bravo axis. In other words, the lever all the way down is correctly carb heat on, but as I push the lever up, it goes to full in (ie carb heat off) only halfway up the axis.

You can scale the axis values - add ,*0.5 to the end of the axis assignment line in your FSUIPC7.ini. You can adjust the scaling value as needed - see the section Additional parameters to scale input axis values on page 41 of the Advanced User guide.

John

9 hours ago, John Dowson said:

You can scale the axis values - add ,*0.5 to the end of the axis assignment line in your FSUIPC7.ini. You can adjust the scaling value as needed - see the section Additional parameters to scale input axis values on page 41 of the Advanced User guide.

John

Many thanks, John!