The simFlight Network Forums

Ground Steering impossible

hvw

Hi,

I posted the below message in Avsim's MSFS forum  and it seems that some other do suffer of this phenomenon as well. I wonder if any of my fellow-FSUIPC users also are being victim to this issue.

For your information, I disabled all 3rd-party addons and tried all available aircraft types with the same result, ground steering was not possible. All controls were assigned in FSUIPC.  I am just curious to know whether or not this can be a FSUIPC related problem.  What I doubt, though).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever since I installed the MSFS December 3, 2020's mini-update ground steering became impossible. The plane is swaying left and right on the slightest joystick rudder movement. This happens on FBW's latest dev mod A320 as well as their stable version. Also plain vanilla MSFS A320Neo has been affected by this. I (re-)calibrated my joystick in FSUIPC 7.0.2 without success, also lowering the sensitivity in MSFS didn't result in a better behavior on the ground nor did adjusting dead zones bring me any luck. To make sure that it was not a hardware problem bothering me, I went back to P3D and did a flawless flight (including ground steering) with PMDG's 737-900.

Do any of you have an idea what might have gone wrong and how to get MSFS to do correct ground steering again? It's a pity that we can't uninstall this mini-update 😞

Thanks,
Hans

I believe this is a general problem. You really need to play around with the settings (for each aircraft) until you find something that feels right for you. Many people have found that extending the axis range in your FSUIPC7.ini helps with this (maybe combined with a slope) but this also will restrict full movement of your axis. As an example, if you have your rudder calibration as something like:

Rudder=-16384,-512,534,15648
then changing this to:
     Rudder=-32384,-512,7534,32648
will reduce (half) the rudder sensitivity, but will also mean that you can only get a maximum of 50% deflection.

Maybe try that, but start with something lower, such as:
    Rudder=-25000,-512,512,25000
and go from there, until you get the sensitivity you require.

I suggest you only do this in profile assignments though, as the sensitivity seems to vary from aircraft to aircraft.

But the axis range/values have the same effect on the aircraft, if assigned in FSUIPC or in MSFS. FSUIPC just gives you various mechanisms to calibrate this value (from your joystick) before its sent to the FS. Once FS receives these values (either internally or via FSUIPC). the result is the same.

John

PS. This is by manually editing your FSUIPC7.ini, if that wasn't clear.

Edited by John Dowson
Further info added

38 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

I believe this is a general problem. You really need to play around with the settings (for each aircraft) until you find something that feels right for you. Many people have found that extending the axis range in your FSUIPC7.ini helps with this (maybe combined with a slope) but this also will restrict full movement of your axis. As an example, if you have your rudder calibration as something like:

Rudder=-16384,-512,534,15648
then changing this to:
     Rudder=-32384,-512,7534,32648
will reduce (half) the rudder sensitivity, but will also mean that you can only get a maximum of 50% deflection.

Maybe try that, but start with something lower, such as:
    Rudder=-25000,-512,512,25000
and go from there, until you get the sensitivity you require.

I suggest you only do this in profile assignments though, as the sensitivity seems to vary from aircraft to aircraft.

But the axis range/values have the same effect on the aircraft, if assigned in FSUIPC or in MSFS. FSUIPC just gives you various mechanisms to calibrate this value (from your joystick) before its sent to the FS. Once FS receives these values (either internally or via FSUIPC). the result is the same.

John

PS. This is by manually editing your FSUIPC7.ini, if that wasn't clear.

Thanks, John, I will give it a go. As I didn't run into this anomaly before updating to the mentioned mini-update, of which they (Asobo) said that it was only a navaid update, I will be surprised if indeed it will be this setting in fsuipc. Nevertheless, one never knows and I will try it. Will keep you updated, OK?

Thanks,
Hans

Hi John,

Your suggestion for Rudder=-25000,-512,512,25000 seems to have done it. Of course I can try and finetune it a bit more, but to be honest, I have had it for today :). I am glad that at least I can do a full throttle take-off from a runway with some crosswind and keep the plane under control while rolling. 

Thanks a lot for your help,
Hans