The simFlight Network Forums

Key Combination Timing

ark1320

When I want to enter the key combination Right Shift+Right Arrow under FSUIPC7 key assignments, I've noticed that I have to make sure I hit the Shift Right key a 'split second' before Right Arrow, or else FSUIPC7 only see the Right Arrow key. Conversely, in MSFS under the Keyboard Controls setup, when entering that same key combination into the Search by Input field, if I hit the Shift Right key a split second before Right Arrow, what gets entered into the search field is Right Shift+ Num6 ?? I don't know if this is a MSFS bug, or 'my' bug somehow., or what.  However, if I hit the Right Arrow key a split second before Right Shift in MSFS, then the correct Right Shift + Right Arrow combination shows up in the search field. So MSFS and FSUIPC7 respond differently to this key combination depending on the split second timing when hitting the two keys. I'm posting here hoping someone might be able to help me understand all this.

Thanks,

Al

The proper way to get consistent key cobminations in most programs is holding the 'shift' key (whether Shift, Control, or Alt) whilst then pressing the action key.  The shifts are indicated to the program concerned by flags set in the action key's notification. At least that is the case for the key input methods used in FSUIPC (via WM_KEYDOWN and WM_KEYUP messages). I did read somewhere that MSFS uses a different method, and if so that might explain the difference in result.

Either way, a "split second" doesn't seem to be sufficient to ensure consistency.

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

The proper way to get consistent key cobminations in most programs is holding the 'shift' key (whether Shift, Control, or Alt) whilst then pressing the action key.  The shifts are indicated to the program concerned by flags set in the action key's notification. At least that is the case for the key input methods used in FSUIPC (via WM_KEYDOWN and WM_KEYUP messages). I did read somewhere that MSFS uses a different method, and if so that might explain the difference in result.

Either way, a "split second" doesn't seem to be sufficient to ensure consistency.

Pete

I now understand where the Right Shift + Num6 as described above likely comes from. On the Numpad, Num6 and Right Arrow are the same physical key, what you 'get' depends on whether NumLock is on or off. But I was not using that key at all as described above, but rather the stand-alone Right Arrow key. So it is not clear to me why MSFS identified the stand-alone RIght Arrow key as Num6 based on the timing of the Right Shift+Right Arrow combination.

Al