The simFlight Network Forums

Assign Free Look (mouse look) to mini Joystick axis FSX

Good day,

Using FSUIPC 4.971, registered version

I have a Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle. It has a mini joystick that FSUIPC sees as Joystick D with X & Y axis.

Is there a way I can assign the freelook (mouse look) function to this Joystick. Currently I  have a button on my yoke (CH Eclipse) set to toggle the mouse look function then use the mouse, then toggle back. 

Thanks for any assistance.

Hal

6 hours ago, HalCon said:

Is there a way I can assign the freelook (mouse look) function to this Joystick. Currently I  have a button on my yoke (CH Eclipse) set to toggle the mouse look function then use the mouse, then toggle back.

I think FSX/P3D (you don't say which) only operates that by mouse. I can only think of trying either

1. using Pan View instead. This suits a POV , like, I think, one of those on your yoke handles, or
2. make a Lua plug-in script to operate the mouse in response to yoke movements.  There are functions in the mouse library to move the mouse pointer around, and operate the wheel, and click the buttons. It would take a bit of working out to get it working to your satisfaction.

I'm note sure whether Pan View operates suffiiciently like Mouse Look for your purposes. I've always used it for looking around, outside, in the cockpit, whatever.  I very seldom use the mouse with flight simulation.

Pete

Thanks for the reply Pete. I am OK with using the mouse.

In MSFS the mini joystick axis is able to be assigned to the free look function, and works great. No toggle required to activate. No conflict with normal mouse operation.  

Just kind of hoped that it might be able do the same thing in FSX. I will start my quest by studying the advanced user manual. I have never gone into that one yet.

Thanks again for the response.

Hal

20 minutes ago, HalCon said:

In MSFS the mini joystick axis is able to be assigned to the free look function, and works great. No toggle required to activate. No conflict with normal mouse operation. 

Oh, I'm a bit confused then. You are okay using the mouse but want to use a joystick axis instead. Right?

If you just want to avoid the toggle you could try the FSUIPC Mouse look option (see Miscellaneous tab page).

25 minutes ago, HalCon said:

I will start my quest by studying the advanced user manual. I have never gone into that one yet.

The Lua plug-in facilities are described in separate documents in the FSUIPC documents folder.

Pete

Sorry for the confusion Pete,

I am running FSX and MSFS on the same computer. This question has been related to FSX.

I use the mouse to activate various switches etc. in the Cockpit. To look around and locate some of the switches I sometimes use the mouse look to get to the switch. I find on my machine that the panning is too slow. 

I use a 3 monitor set up, see attached. The free look or mouse look is not really a big requirement as I can access all the buttons and switches required with a couple of key presses. I have my various panels (overhead, throttle quadrant, etc.) mapped to numpad keys 1-9 and have them placed around the 3 monitors. Works real well. Only drawback is my field of view is limited buy the 3 monitors. Again not a real big problem. When flying I can see pretty much see everything I need to see, and I am quite happy with how it all works. Works for all the aircraft that I generally fly.

Since MSFS is only single monitor for views, the free look becomes more of a need to see around the cockpit and around the aircraft. I just discovered today that I could map the mini joystick on the TWCS Throttle to the Free Look function. 

I think I will work on learning some of the programming for the Lua plug-ins in case I have to go back to running on 1 monitor. Getting this to work in FSX is just a want and challenge right now, not a necessity.

Thanks Pete

Hal

cockpit001.jpg

8 hours ago, HalCon said:

I use a 3 monitor set up, see attached. The free look or mouse look is not really a big requirement as I can access all the buttons and switches required with a couple of key presses. I have my various panels (overhead, throttle quadrant, etc.) mapped to numpad keys 1-9 and have them placed around the 3 monitors. Works real well. Only drawback is my field of view is limited buy the 3 monitors. Again not a real big problem. When flying I can see pretty much see everything I need to see, and I am quite happy with how it all works. Works for all the aircraft that I generally fly.

For my 737 cockpit I have a 210 degree FOV curved screen, using just two 4k projectors (I used to use 3 x 2K projectors but 3 x 4K reduces the performance too much, preventing the level of AUI and scenery density I can use. The screen and software to overcome the curve screen and the edge distortion (fish eye) is from Natvis. From inside the cockpit I can see direct left and direct right, so no need to pan or have 'mouse look' type operation which would be unrealistic through the cockpit shell's windows anyway. This cockpit uses P3D5.1.

However, on my VFR PC, the one where I've installed MSFS as well as P3D, I only have one 55" 4K screen (actually a Samsung TV). For VFR flying I need to be able to change the view -- e.g looking left or right rear when on a circuit. 

The VFR cockpit is a hardware one with analogue gauges. I've made a program to get it working pretty much 100% with MSFS except views.  There's a lever on the hardware cockpit which moves left or right, centre sprung. That was easy to program for panning left and right with P3D5, but for MSFS I'll have to use the simple 'look left' and ;look right' keypress assignments for now as none of the view controls work through SimConnect! Rather annoying. This omission has been lodged with Asobo.

With your screens and VFR I suppose you've tried using nVidia surround mode (or the AMD equivalent) and stretching the MSFS window across? Theoretically it should look like one screen to MSFS. But maybe Asobo drive the screens in some way which stops that? I've not been able to try it.

Pete