The simFlight Network Forums

Calibrating/Syncing raw axes?

jaxx

Is there a way to calibrate raw joystick axes like it is already possible with assigned axes like e.g. throttle with min/max and "Sync Pos"?
I'm asking because the axes on my Honeycomb Bravo are a few millimeters off so throttle is not the same value at the same position, sometimes 2-3% difference.

But due to different configurations the axes for Throttle 1 and 2 are different physical axes between different planes. I would need a profile specific JoystickCalibration for every single plane.
It would be nice if there would be a way to pre-calibrate/sync all 6 axes before they are assigned to FS-axes.

I tried some calibration tools for DirectX, but they seem to be quite old and not really working with Windows 10.

FSUIPC probably doesn't have this option, but maybe someone knows a tool or Windows option to calibrate the axes of a DX device on a lower level?

13 hours ago, jaxx said:

I'm asking because the axes on my Honeycomb Bravo are a few millimeters off so throttle is not the same value at the same position, sometimes 2-3% difference.

That's pretty realistic with real-life aircraft too. Maybe they line up better when brand new, but they don't stay that way.

13 hours ago, jaxx said:

It would be nice if there would be a way to pre-calibrate/sync all 6 axes before they are assigned to FS-axes.

FSUIPC doesn't calibrate axes, but axis controls. It's the value being used in the Sim which is adjusted.

Pete

I thought as much.
I have now found a tool called DXTweak2, with this I can at least line up a calibration points around the ends and a center point so all axes have the same physical deadzone. That already helps keeping it within an error of around 1% ingame.
hb.PNG.fb7a2af737f8a0c9d9c303071a33af06.PNG

49 minutes ago, jaxx said:

I have now found a tool called DXTweak2, with this I can at least line up a calibration points around the ends and a center point so all axes have the same physical deadzone.

You should be able to do that with FSUIPC's normal calibration facilities. Those are its main calibration points.

Pete

How I understood it that would only work when each physical axis would be always mapped to the same axis control or if I give every profile its profile specific JoystickCalibration entries.

Maybe I didn't explain it right.
Let's say I have Axis 1-6 and they need their raw values for the 0-Position calibrated to 10, 20, 50, 20, 30, 30.

A twin-engine GA aircraft will use Axis 1 and 2 for Throttle 1 and 2, so I calibrate in FSUIPC those Throttle 1 and 2 axis controls to the 10, 20 min-position.

But now I change to a twin-engine airliner, this now uses Axis 3 and 4 for Throttle 1 and 2. FSUIPC will use the same calibration values for Throttle 1 and 2, even though they are now different physical axis and would require a different calibration (50, 20).

Only chance I see to do this with FSUIPC would be to have a profile specific calibration section for every aircraft profile, even if many of those would be 1:1 duplicates (e.g. every Twin-Engine-GA aircraft profile would have the same duplicate profile specific axis calibration, as I don't think you can reference an existing profile specific axis calibration in multiple profiles).
For me that just gets a bit to confusing to maintain.

18 hours ago, jaxx said:

Only chance I see to do this with FSUIPC would be to have a profile specific calibration section for every aircraft profile

Yes, that is the correct way to do it.

18 hours ago, jaxx said:

every Twin-Engine-GA aircraft profile would have the same duplicate profile specific axis calibration, as I don't think you can reference an existing profile specific axis calibration in multiple profiles)

But surely you will have just one profile for all Twin-Engine-GA aircraft -- except for those needing specific treatment such as any from PMDG or FSL. I don't understand the problem. It surely must be the actual value being fed to the aircraft controls which matters in terms of calibrating -- you calibrate to suit the aircraft type. They are all different. Using the same aileron/elevator calibration for a fighter or stunt aircraft as for a light trainer would not be right.

18 hours ago, jaxx said:

For me that just gets a bit to confusing to maintain.

"Maintain"? How often do you change calibrations once you get them right? 

Sorry, either I am still misunderstanding your problem or you are misunderstanding what FSUIPC calibration is about -- i.e. allowing you to get the best results with each aircraft.

Perhaps you are making separate profiles for every individual aircraft. I would advise thinking more in terms of aircraft types and grouping them into fewer profiles accordingly.

Also please note that the calibration facilities in FSUIPC work on controls assigned in the Sim. The ability to assign axes in FSUIPC was added not only for access to more axis controls than offered in the sim's UI, but also so that different aircraft could use different controls (eg joystick for Airbus, Yoke for Boeing).

Pete