The simFlight Network Forums

two FSUIPC7 istances at startup

zorzini

Hi,
recently I updated FSUIPC7 at latest release 7.0.4 via the installer.
As per previously updates I replaced the FSUIPC7.ini with the older because it contains some personal settings.
I also use the older MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat to launch MSFS, FSUIPC7 and MOBIFLIGHT (I added a command line in MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat to launch MobiFlight).

Now when I launch MSFS with FSUIPC7 shortcut on desktop FSUIPC7 seems start twice as reported by the message You can see in attached image.

I also attach FSUIPC7.ini and MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat and FSUIPC7.log

Not a big problem: I close the warning and all goes well.

Thanks for attention

20210122_185032.jpg

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat

2 minutes ago, zorzini said:

As per previously updates I replaced the FSUIPC7.ini with the older because it contains some personal settings.

No need to do this. The ini file is not touched when you re-install. A new one is only generated if none is found.

3 minutes ago, zorzini said:

I also use the older MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat to launch MSFS, FSUIPC7 and MOBIFLIGHT (I added a command line in MSFSwithFSUIPC7.bat to launch MobiFlight).

Now when I launch MSFS with FSUIPC7 shortcut on desktop FSUIPC7 seems start twice as reported by the message You can see in attached image.

This is due to the fact that the installer you used automatically added an entry in MSFS's EXE.xml file to auto-start FSUIPC7. If you are also using the old .bat file, that will also start FSUIPC7, so you are starting it twice.

If you download the latest installer (still contains v7.0.4), the auto-start of FSUIPC7 via the EXE.xml is now optional. So download, re-install (don't uninstall or delete anything, or do anything with your FSUIPC7.ini) and uncheck the auto-start component. Also, on the last page, don't opt to install the new desktop link/bat file and continue to use your original one that also starts MobiFlight.

Of course, thats just a suggestion. There are also various other methods you can use:
    - let MSFS start FSUIPC7, and start MobiFlight from the batch file
    - let MSFS start FSUIPC7, and add an entry in the MSFS EXE.xml to start MobiFlight
    - let MSFS start FSUIPC7, and use FSUIPC's [Programs] section to start MobiFlight

Really, the choice is yours - try and use whatever works for you.

Note, however, there can be problems with priveleges when auto-starting as each program should run at the same privilege level. Not usually an issue, but can be if one program needs or has been set to run with admin level privileges. Just a heads-up - don't worry about this unless you find that the applications won't start or communicate.

John

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

No need to do this. The ini file is not touched when you re-install. A new one is only generated if none is found.

This is due to the fact that the installer you used automatically added an entry in MSFS's EXE.xml file to auto-start FSUIPC7. If you are also using the old .bat file, that will also start FSUIPC7, so you are starting it twice.

If you download the latest installer (still contains v7.0.4), the auto-start of FSUIPC7 via the EXE.xml is now optional. So download, re-install (don't uninstall or delete anything, or do anything with your FSUIPC7.ini) and uncheck the auto-start component. Also, on the last page, don't opt to install the new desktop link/bat file and continue to use your original one that also starts MobiFlight.

Of course, thats just a suggestion. There are also various other methods you can use:
    - let MSFS start FSUIPC7, and start MobiFlight from the batch file
    - let MSFS start FSUIPC7, and add an entry in the MSFS EXE.xml to start MobiFlight
    - let MSFS start FSUIPC7, and use FSUIPC's [Programs] section to start MobiFlight

Really, the choice is yours - try and use whatever works for you.

Note, however, there can be problems with priveleges when auto-starting as each program should run at the same privilege level. Not usually an issue, but can be if one program needs or has been set to run with admin level privileges. Just a heads-up - don't worry about this unless you find that the applications won't start or communicate.

John

Ok...understood.

Tomorrow I will apply Your suggestions. I prefer to dont use the Ms xml solution due to prevent possible updates from Microsoft.

Thanks

33 minutes ago, zorzini said:

I prefer to dont use the Ms xml solution due to prevent possible updates from Microsoft.

Its in your AppData which should be maintained during updates... Normally issues are created from the reverse problem - not manually deleting AppData files when updating!
But each to his own!