The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC7 and hardware throttle detents

eyemack

FSUIPC7 was recommended to me so that I can allow for hardware detents in FS2020.  I have the idle/off detent set around 4% and the afterburner detent set to 74%.  Now, software like DCS is very flexible and allow all sorts of configuration. Unfortunately, it would seem that FS2020 doesn't.

What I want to do is to set the physical travel of 4-74% as the 0-100% in FS2020, and I was told this can be done in FSUIPC7.

I downloaded the trial version, but couldn't see any of that functionality.  Is there a way of trialling this without paying 30 EUR?  Also, is FSYUIPC7 able to achieve what I want to do here?

31 minutes ago, eyemack said:

Is there a way of trialling this without paying 30 EUR? 

Sure - use the attached key file. Just drop it into your FSUIPC7 installation folder. It is valid for 5 days:

FSUIPC7.key

39 minutes ago, eyemack said:

Also, is FSYUIPC7 able to achieve what I want to do here?

Hmm. It may be possible by assigning direct to FSUIPC  and calibrating, and then manually editing the ini to change the calibration entry to decrease the throttle's value range. You would want to set the range in the calibration entry so that the value sent when at 74% physical position is the full throttle value.
However, when you pass the 74%, larger values will then be sent...presumably these will be ignored (and not produce an error) but give it a go.

Also, please see the User Guide for details on calibration, although you won't find details on how to do what you want to achieve.
Try setting it up and if you have any issues, post your FSUIPC7.ini file here and I'll take a look (but only after you have at least assigned and cailbrated!).

John

17 hours ago, John Dowson said:

It may be possible by assigning direct to FSUIPC  and calibrating, and then manually editing the ini to change the calibration entry to decrease the throttle's value range.

Sorry, you don't need to edit the ini for this. Just assign your throttle direct to FSUIPC calibration and select a throttle axis, and with your throttle at 4% set the lower limit, and at 74% set the upper limit in the throttle calibration page..

Thanks John, I started looking at your software about an hour ago, and yes, the main objective is easily achieved, i.e. just calibrate to the movement between detents.  That's the good news.

However, there are so many things I don't understand.  The manual I'm sure contains all the answers, but it is very daunting and looks like it really requires a lot of time to study the complexities of the software.

Some very basic questions:

1) when I run the batch file, a 'getting the cockpit ready' image appears, FS loads, but FSUIPC doesn't. No sign of it minimised on the taskbar. I have to run the exe to load it.

2) when I assign and calibrate my 2 throttle axes in FSUIPC when FS is running, then I can get the throttles to work in cockpit.  If I do it when FS is not running, then they don't work after FS loads. Also, if I quit FSUIPC (and FS), rerun batch file and FSUIPC, then the previous settings are not remembered when FS loads.

3) looking at the button section, the reported button number in your software is not the correct button number as shown in Windows.  In addition, it looks like you have the 32 button limit as most of my buttons are not recognised.

As a beginner's question, am I right in saying that the assignments in your software are separate to bindings in FS itself, and none are passed over to FS settings?

Apologies for the basic questions!

51 minutes ago, eyemack said:

1) when I run the batch file, a 'getting the cockpit ready' image appears, FS loads, but FSUIPC doesn't. No sign of it minimised on the taskbar. I have to run the exe to load it.

Did you select to have FSUIPC auto-started with FSUIPC? Please show me your InstallFSUIPC7.log file.

52 minutes ago, eyemack said:

2) when I assign and calibrate my 2 throttle axes in FSUIPC when FS is running, then I can get the throttles to work in cockpit.  If I do it when FS is not running, then they don't work after FS loads. Also, if I quit FSUIPC (and FS), rerun batch file and FSUIPC, then the previous settings are not remembered when FS loads.

To calibrate, you need FS running. If you settings aren't being saved, there is a problem with your installation. I'll check this when you post your installation log. Also attach your FSUIPC7.log file please (both will be in your FSUIPC7 installation folder).

55 minutes ago, eyemack said:

3) looking at the button section, the reported button number in your software is not the correct button number as shown in Windows.  In addition, it looks like you have the 32 button limit as most of my buttons are not recognised.

Yes, currently only 32 buttons are recognised (numbers 0-31) + POV buttons 32-39). I am working on extending this to 128 buttons, but this is not ready for release at the moment. For now, to assign to those buttons, you have to use a lua file that will map the buttons > 31 to virtual buttons. If you are using the Honeycomb Alpha or Bravo, there are specific scripts for those in the User Contributions section. Othgerwise, you can use the HidDemo.lua plugin included in the lua examples (located in a zip file in your documents folder). You will have to edit it to add your devices VID and PID, and have it auto-started via your FSUIPC7.ini file.

59 minutes ago, eyemack said:

As a beginner's question, am I right in saying that the assignments in your software are separate to bindings in FS itself, and none are passed over to FS settings?

Yes, they are separate. You should create an empty profile for your controller in MSFS itself initially, although you can mix and match assignments between MSFS and FSUIPC if you like, just make sure you don't assign a button or axis in both.

John

1 hour ago, eyemack said:

However, there are so many things I don't understand.  The manual I'm sure contains all the answers, but it is very daunting and looks like it really requires a lot of time to study the complexities of the software

While browsing the manual is a good idea to get a feel of what is provided, you should really to think of FSUIPC as a box of tools.  You only need to study the details for things you find a need to do. Then use the contents lists to see where in the manual to look.

Pete

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

Did you select to have FSUIPC auto-started with FSUIPC? Please show me your InstallFSUIPC7.log file.

To calibrate, you need FS running. If you settings aren't being saved, there is a problem with your installation. I'll check this when you post your installation log. Also attach your FSUIPC7.log file please (both will be in your FSUIPC7 installation folder).

Yes, currently only 32 buttons are recognised (numbers 0-31) + POV buttons 32-39). I am working on extending this to 128 buttons, but this is not ready for release at the moment. For now, to assign to those buttons, you have to use a lua file that will map the buttons > 31 to virtual buttons. If you are using the Honeycomb Alpha or Bravo, there are specific scripts for those in the User Contributions section. Othgerwise, you can use the HidDemo.lua plugin included in the lua examples (located in a zip file in your documents folder). You will have to edit it to add your devices VID and PID, and have it auto-started via your FSUIPC7.ini file.

Yes, they are separate. You should create an empty profile for your controller in MSFS itself initially, although you can mix and match assignments between MSFS and FSUIPC if you like, just make sure you don't assign a button or axis in both.

John

OK, thanks guys.

What happens is that I run teh MSFS.bat file, a splash screen comes up with something like 'preparing cockpit...'. MSFS loads up, but FSUIPC doesn't.,  If I run it from the exe, things are OK.  I've attached the log files so you can see what is wrong.

You didn't address the wrong button numbers showing up in the button section.  Is that an issue?

InstallFSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.log

8 minutes ago, eyemack said:

You didn't address the wrong button numbers showing up in the button section.  Is that an issue?

No. Windows numbers them from 1-32, FSUIPC uses 0-31.

Your install log shows that you installed FSUIPC7 your your Program Files (x86) folder.  You shouldn't install there as its a protected folder (and also FSUIPC7 is x64 not x86) and could give issues, so better to install in a different location.
Run the installer again and select a non-protected folder (e.g. c:\FSUIPC7 or C:\MSFS Ad-ons\FSUIPC7) to install. The installer will automatically detect your current installation and uninstall that. You can copy across your FSUIPC7.key and FSUIPC7.ini again afterwards.

However, I'm not sure this prevented your settings not being saved, as if the FSUIPC7.ini file exists then FSUIPC can write to the folder. If its not working after you re-install, attach those updated files (InstallFSUIPC7.log and FSUIPC7.log) together with your FSUIPC7.ini.

Your install log also shows no update of the MSFS EXE.xml file. This is select by default in the installer components selection - did you uncheck this?
If you want FSUIPC7 to start with MSFS, you should leave that checked.

John

Thanks again guys.  Yes, the non-saving issue went away when I moved away from the 'normal' program install folders. All good now with the revised calibration of the throttle axes.

It looks like an amazing bunch of tools, however, I would only scratch the surface of its capabilities as all I want is to restrict the travel calibration of 2 axes.  On that basis, I just can't justify 30 EUR, which is half the cost of FS itself.  If there was a more restricted version at a cheaper price, I would happily step in.

I will, however, post about FSUIPC in some flight sim forums I contribute to.

20 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Othgerwise, you can use the HidDemo.lua plugin included in the lua examples (located in a zip file in your documents folder). You will have to edit it to add your devices VID and PID, and have it auto-started via your FSUIPC7.ini file

John

Just trying a few things out while there is still some life in the trial key.  Does that mean putting the edited lua file in the FSUIPC root install folder? Also, what do I put in the ini file to make the lua auto-start?

Thanks again.

14 minutes ago, eyemack said:

Does that mean putting the edited lua file in the FSUIPC root install folder? Also, what do I put in the ini file to make the lua auto-start?

Yes, and you have to add it to the [Auto] section of the FSUIPC7.ini file. This is explained in the step-by-step guide for the Alpha and Bravo scripts, or see the section Automatic running of Macros or Lua programs in the Advanced User Guide.

John

24 minutes ago, eyemack said:

(As an aside, the page numbers in the Index of the Advanced User Guide need updating, starting from Macro Controls).

Yes, I know, thanks.

25 minutes ago, eyemack said:

Could you explain a little more?

I provide manuals so that I don't continually have to answer these type of questions...
Your ini file has this:

+

[Auto]
!1=HidDemo.lua

The Advanced User Guide says:

This is done by adding new sections to the INI file with the title{
[Auto]
or
[Auto.xxxx...]
where the xxxx part is the profile name when profiles are being used.
These Auto sections thus parallel the Keys and Buttons sections -- the naming and selection follows the same system.
The generic
[Auto] section is carried out for all aircraft changes whilst the specific ones are only applied to a matching
profile.
Each Auto section contains a series of numbered lines (1=..., 2=... etc) each of which is either a Lua command, or a
Macro call. For example:

[Auto.737]
1=Lua SetMyOffsets
2=737 OHD:Air Allbleeds

So, isn't it obvious that your  ini's [Auto] section should be:

[Auto]
1=Lua HidDemo

?

To be honest, no, it isn't obvious, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

I still can't get this to work despite putting those 2 lines into the ini.  After running FSUIPC, the lines got replaced by:

[Auto]
1=Lua HidDemo
[LuaFiles]
1=HidDemo

No buttons greater than 31 recognised. I realise that it is probably something obvious I am doing wrong, again, but, I won't bother you again on this.  Thank you for your help.

After running FSUIPC, the lines got replaced by:

[Auto]
1=Lua HidDemo
[LuaFiles]
1=HidDemo

They didn't get replaced. You specify the [Auto] section. FSUIPC writes the [LuaFiles] section with the .lua files it finds in your installation folder.

To be honest, no, it isn't obvious

If wasn't obvious that it should have been
    1=Lua HidDemo
and not
   !1=HidDemo.lua
then I don't know what to say....perhaps I should give up providing user manuals...😞

This script has been available for many years and should work without too much trouble really...You should check the vid and pid are set correctly, and you can set the logging flag (in the script itself) as well as activating logging for lua plugins (from FSUIPC) so that you can see if it is running or not and perhaps what the error is.

But as you have already stated that you will not be purchasing a license, and this functionality requires a license - and I am also very busy, I don't think there is much point assisting you with this any further, sorry.

John

I have now purchased a licence, so could you please now help with this issue of virtual buttons.

I think I've set up the HidDemo.lua file OK by editing it, adding my VID and PID and adding in the [Auto] lines OK in the ini file.  I have switched on logging for lua files and have attached the log and ini files as well as the lua.

I'm sure it is something obvious, but how do I see the virtual buttons?  I have hunted around the buttons and switches tab, but no joy.

Thanks.

FSUIPC7.zip

You log file shows that you were not connected to MSFS. You need to have MSFS running and be connected before lua files are auto-ran.
You do have a HidDemo.log file, but that must have been generated on a different run. So, please try again and make sure that you have MSFS running and always better to assign/calibrate with an aircraft loaded.
Also, try the attached HidDemo.lua. In this script (based on the Alpha script) only buttons 32-64 are made accessible by virtual buttons, and the others (0-31) are still available in the usual manner. This saves some virtual buttons (for other uses) and prevents multiple buttons (teal and virtual) being seen at the same time. 

12 hours ago, eyemack said:

but how do I see the virtual buttons?

On the button assignments panel, when you press the button you will see the joystick letter (C for your throttle) and the button number if < 32.
For the buttons > 32 asigned to virtual buttons, you should see a joystick number of 64, and button numbers starting from 0.

John

hidDemo.lua

Thanks a lot, John.  That lua file works fine.

I am trying hard to get to grips with the basics here, but some things are still escaping me.

1) If I assign and calibrate an axis, everything is good, and I assume that by not ticking ‘profile specific’, the axis is available to all aircraft.  However, if I do check that box for a particular axis for a particular module, I don't seem to be able to uncheck for any further assignment to all modules. How to do this?  

2) I can't always see all options that are available in FS, e.g. I have 2 axes bound to external view pitch and yaw in FS, but can’t see that as an option in FSUIPC.

Thanks again.

58 minutes ago, eyemack said:

1) If I assign and calibrate an axis, everything is good, and I assume that by not ticking ‘profile specific’, the axis is available to all aircraft.  However, if I do check that box for a particular axis for a particular module, I don't seem to be able to uncheck for any further assignment to all modules. How to do this?  

You need to understand how profiles work w.r.t. axes assignments vs button assignments.
For button assignments, general assignments are always loaded, even when using a profile, and then the profile-specific button assignments are loaded, replacing any assignments that are in the general profile.
For axis assignments, if a profile axes section is present then only the profile axies are loaded. This is why, when you first create an axes profile, it asks if you want to import the general axes section.

Once a profile has been selected for the axes for an aircraft, all axis assignments for that aircraft will be profile specific. You cannot add a general axis assignment when an aircraft is loaded that has profile-specific axes assignments. If you want to add a general axis, you would have to load an aircraft that has no profile axis assignments.
For buttons, you can select or deselect the profile, depending upon where you want the button assignment to go.

2) I can't always see all options that are available in FS, e.g. I have 2 axes bound to external view pitch and yaw in FS, but can’t see that as an option in FSUIPC.

There are still many MSFS controls that work only when assigned in MSFS and have no affect when assigned in a simconnect client, such as FSUIPC.
This is a known issue, and affects many controls/events, including the view and slew controls.
For now, you either have to assign these directly in MSFS, or assign to keypresses in MSFS, and then assign your buttons/POVto those keypresses in FSUIPC.

John

23 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

You need to understand how profiles work w.r.t. axes assignments vs button assignments.
For button assignments, general assignments are always loaded, even when using a profile, and then the profile-specific button assignments are loaded, replacing any assignments that are in the general profile.
For axis assignments, if a profile axes section is present then only the profile axies are loaded. This is why, when you first create an axes profile, it asks if you want to import the general axes section.

Once a profile has been selected for the axes for an aircraft, all axis assignments for that aircraft will be profile specific. You cannot add a general axis assignment when an aircraft is loaded that has profile-specific axes assignments. If you want to add a general axis, you would have to load an aircraft that has no profile axis assignments.
For buttons, you can select or deselect the profile, depending upon where you want the button assignment to go.

John

Thanks John, so just looking at axes, are you saying that all general axes would have to be defined first, and then when a new profile is created, the question is asked about importing the general axes?  A new 'general' axis cannot be added later to a profile.  

So, as an example, if all the profiles were set up, and if I then wanted to add a new axis to all of them, it would have to be added individually to all profiles?

4 minutes ago, eyemack said:

are you saying that all general axes would have to be defined first, and then when a new profile is created, the question is asked about importing the general axes?  A new 'general' axis cannot be added later to a profile.  

Its completely up to you how you define your general and profile specific axis. Just remember, that when you create a new axis profile, you can import the general axis section if you so wish. Thats all.

6 minutes ago, eyemack said:

So, as an example, if all the profiles were set up, and if I then wanted to add a new axis to all of them, it would have to be added individually to all profiles?

Yes.

The usual way of doing things is to set up your axis and buttons for the aircraft you most use in the general section (i.e. no profile). Then, for aircraft where the general settings don't always apply, you can create a new profile, import the axes assignments and then modify from there.

John

Thanks John, so just looking at axes, are you saying that all general axes would have to be defined first, and then when a new profile is created, the question is asked about importing the general axes?  A new 'general' axis cannot be added later to a profile.

Perhaps the rationale behind the way it works should be explained, so you can better understand.

Buttons, switches and keypresses are only activated when you use them -- i.e. press a button, operate a switch, or press a key. So generally assigned ones will not interfere with a flight unless operated.

But axes are always active. You don't want axes which aren't to be used in the current aircraft to interfere with flight just because they may jitter a little by themselves, or be nudged by mistake.

The other consideration is calibration. Different aircraft have different sensitivities and calibration needs. A stunt aircraft or fighter needs sensitive controls so that it can react very quickly, but a heavy airliner needs some amount of free play in the controls and less extreme reacting movements comparatively.

I don't know how many profiles you've created, but it shouldn't be too hard to assign and calibrate other axes the first time you load an aircraft using a profile.

Note that it isn't necessary to have a separate profile for every aircraft. You can often get away with one for props, one for turboprops, one for Boeing aircraft and similar, one for Airbus, and another for fighters and stunt aircraft. Oh, also helicopters when supported. Name your profiles accordingly, and select the appropriate profile when first loading a new aircraft. 

Multiple liveries of the same aircraft can be handled faster by editing the entry for the first added one in the [Profile.name] list to a shortened form which applies to them all.

Hope this helps,
Pete

Thanks Pete, I'm gradually getting there!

Just seems a little odd that if in retrospect, I wanted to add a new axis to all modules, I can't do it.  For example, although I having been simming for many years, I have only just got into MSFS very recently. On my rudders, Virpil throttle and stick, I have about 15 axes, and at this stage of my knowledge, I have only set up the usual stuff like throttles, brake, elevator, flaps, etc.  At some point soon, I might think, oh, yes, that axis would be useful for task x.  It would seem that I would have to add that into all profile manually rather than being able to add it into all in a 'general' category.

The flexibility is great, as you say, as it's possible to define and refine throttle behaviour for each aircraft - just like DCS - which MSFS can't do.

Could adding an axes for all aircraft after adding it for one be done by editing the ini file?  Looks possible from my casual look through. 

15 minutes ago, eyemack said:

Could adding an axes for all aircraft after adding it for one be done by editing the ini file?

Yes, you can do that manually by editing the ini. If its calibrated, also copy across the calibration entry, or re-calibrate the added axis for that profile.
But for any given profile, its probably quicker to just add it again via the assignments panel.
Or just initially add your axis assignments to the general profile, and then import and modify as needed for each profile.
Note also that you can create a new profile based upon an existing profile, which will then import the axes from that profile.