The simFlight Network Forums

spoilers

Greetings.

I am in need of a perameter in FSUIPC that I could use the spoiler axis in incriments like the flaps. Is there any plans in the works for this. I would like to use a spring loaded switch on my A-6E throttle quadrant like it is built into the real aircraft and not a pot, it's just not the same.

Thank you, Christopher Raison.

I am in need of a perameter in FSUIPC that I could use the spoiler axis in incriments like the flaps. Is there any plans in the works for this. I would like to use a spring loaded switch on my A-6E throttle quadrant like it is built into the real aircraft and not a pot, it's just not the same.

Flaps have detentes, special positions where they stop, which is why INC/DEC type parameters suit them. Spoilers are continuous, so FS doesn't provide an INC/DEC for them.

It would be easy enough for me to add a couple of "pseudo" FS commands to FSUIPC's Keys and Buttons pages. It isn't on my list at present because no one's ever asked for this, but I'll add it now.

The only thing I'm not clear on is the increment value. How many steps would you think appropriate between Spoilers fully raised, and spoilers down, off? I can make it configurable in the INI but it is always best if there's a good default. Perhaps 32 steps, or maybe only 16? What do you think.

Regards,

Pete

Greetings.

Thank you for your responce. What I am trying to make happen is I hold the switch and the spoiler axis would roll untill I let the switch go. Something like throttle increase (F3) or throttle decrease (F2). It does not need to be at a quick pace, but react promptly. Then, I would program the other side to close spoilers altogether. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you, Chris.

What I am trying to make happen is I hold the switch and the spoiler axis would roll untill I let the switch go. Something like throttle increase (F3) or throttle decrease (F2). It does not need to be at a quick pace, but react promptly. Then, I would program the other side to close spoilers altogether. I hope this makes sense.

Yes, of course. That's exactly what I understood. But that "rolling" is by repeat action -- with keyboards it is at the keyboard repeat rate. With buttons in FSUIPC you have to switch on the repeating, then it is dependent a bit on frame rate, but will generally be similar.

The point is, however, that the individual press is an individual increment. For example, if it takes 32 presses to go the whole distance, and the repeat rate is 10 per second, then it will take 3.2 seconds to fully deploy or fully retract.

Setting the increment to something useful was my question.

Try an experiment. Assign a button to throttle inc/dec and see how many presses it takes to go from idle to full throttle. Now time how long it takes when you just hold it on (so that the button repeats). Is that how you want the spoiler control to work? Faster? Slower?

Let me know the number of steps you think would

(a) be fast enough, yet

(b) still have enough resolution for your needs.

Regards,

Pete

Like the idea, but I have one suggestion:

Is it possible or even realistic to have the spoiler steps as an exponential function - that is the first step variation is large followed by smaller steps? If so, then less steps would be needed offering less of a load on the PC system.

Then I have a question if this could be bypassed and go directly to full spoilers for the automatic deployment of ground spoilers which go full on detecting throttle idle and surface engagement.

Is it possible or even realistic to have the spoiler steps as an exponential function - that is the first step variation is large followed by smaller steps?

I don't really think that's a good idea. When using it as a speed brake you want to know that one press of the button will give a similar adjustment no matter where.

Then I have a question if this could be bypassed and go directly to full spoilers for the automatic deployment of ground spoilers which go full on detecting throttle idle and surface engagement.

You already have this in FS. Just ARM the spoilers. You also already have a spoler toggel for full up/down.

Regards,

Pete