The simFlight Network Forums

MULTICOMM RADIOS AND VPILOT

JJA

Hi Pete,

Hope you are well and COVID-safe.

I was wondering if specific programming in FSUIPC can help me resolve a multicomm issue.

I recently bought  Multicomm radios for Capt and F/O and have installed them in my 737 pedestal. Having  some issue about whether they can do what I want them to do and understanding how Sim-Avionics, P3D and vPilot talk to each other and whether FSUIPC can help me create what I want. There doesn't seem to a solution in Sim-Avionics that I can tell and the forum there seems to agree.

MY CURRENT SITUATION IS DESCRIBED BELOW.

PRESS VHF1 BUTTON ON MULTICOMM

MULTICOMM READOUT

Active

Standby

vPilot APPEARANCE

COM1 TX RX

PRESS THE TRANSFER BUTTON TO SWITCH BETWEEN ACTIVE AND STANDBY FREQUENCIES

MULTICOMM READOUT

VHF1

Active

Standby

vPilot APPEARANCE

COM1 TX RX

So you can see that selecting VHF1 results in the required frequencies being set in vPilot COM1 TX, so this is all OK.

The problem starts when you select VHF2.

PRESS VHF2 BUTTON ON MULTICOMM

MULTICOMM READOUT

VHF2

Active

Standby

vPilot APPEARANCE

COM1 TX RX

MULTICOMM READOUT

VHF2

Active

Standby

vPilot APPEARANCE

COM1 TX RX

As you can see above, the problem is that when selecting VHF2, vPilot COM1 TX does not register the "new" VHF2 active frequency (e.g. when selecting 130.000 or 125.555  vPilot maintains the VHF1 active frequency i.e. 127.475.

MY AIM IS TO HAVE THIS SCENARIO FUNCTIONING.

PRESS VHF2 BUTTON ON MULTICOMM

VHF2

Active

Standby

vPilot APPEARANCE

COM1 TX RX

FDS MULTICOMM SETTING

VHF2

Active

Standby

vPilot APPEARANCE

COM1 TX RX

If I can get this to work, this would in my opinion take advantage of the true multicomm advantages i.e. I can pre-program 4 frequencies at once (2 in VHF1 and 2 VHF2) and switch between them at will for transmitting to Tower, Departure, Ground, Centre etc.

Many thanks ,

Jim

2 hours ago, JJA said:

I recently bought  Multicomm radios for Capt and F/O and have installed them in my 737 pedestal. Having  some issue about whether they can do what I want them to do and understanding how Sim-Avionics, P3D and vPilot talk to each other and whether FSUIPC can help me create what I want. There doesn't seem to a solution in Sim-Avionics that I can tell and the forum there seems to agree.

It's rather poor if an avionics software suite like SimAvionics doesn't properly support radios. Or is is just your particularly make of hardware it doesn't support? Perhaps the makers of the radios supply drivers for different avionics software? Have you checked?

I use ProSim for my cockpit. I don't know if it supports your radio hardware.

Sorry, but FSUIPC does not itself directly support add-on hardware (excepting switch & button input from many Goflight devices), but FSUIPC is probably used by any software which does support your radios.  You'll need to find it, or write your own?

Pete

To be clear, Sim Avionics DOES support this. vPilot and more importantly the system it is dependent on, VRC, does NOT support it. 

VHF2 *can* receive in vPilot, but you have to use the DOT command ".RECEIVE BOTH" or something similar as I recall. This will allow both radios to hear, albeit mixed to the same channel. VHF2 cannot transmit. It is a VRC limitation. And yes, they are aware of it.

James