The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC autosaving despite having autosave turned off

Hi guys, 

I've just noticed that FSUIPC has been autosaving my situation files for each flight despite having autosave in the menu (and the ini) turned off. Every time I exit a flight, I notice that there's a "Previous Flight" saved file in the documents. This really wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that it interferes with addon airplanes' panel states, causing them to always start at the point I left them on the previous flight. In the case of complex airplanes such as the PMDG line, this ends up interfering with the in-built panel states which causes a whole host of issues. Is there any way I can force autosave to just not save any files? I'm using P3D 4.4 and FSUIPC5.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, SteamingSpoon said:

I've just noticed that FSUIPC has been autosaving my situation files for each flight despite having autosave in the menu (and the ini) turned off. Every time I exit a flight, I notice that there's a "Previous Flight" saved file in the documents. This really wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that it interferes with addon airplanes' panel states, causing them to always start at the point I left them on the previous flight.

A saved flight cannot possibly affect anything if it's not loaded, so why re-load it? It sounds like you have "Previous flight" set as your default flight in P3D.  So, just select a different flight as default.

The reason FSUIPC saves this is for compatibility with FSX and previous versions of FS which did save such a flight automatically on close down. Many folks relied on that for resuming from where they left off in the next session. I used to use it to resume at the gate of the airport I last flew to, but i'm always careful to park and switch off (to "cold & dark" state) because my setup relies on ProSim avionics, and active flights cannot really be resumed.

Pete

7 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

A saved flight cannot possibly affect anything if it's not loaded, so why re-load it? It sounds like you have "Previous flight" set as your default flight in P3D.  So, just select a different flight as default.

Hey Pete, 

Unfortunately this isn't what happens. In most aircraft (except the FSLabs Lineup - not sure what they do differently in their code), the airplane panel state always starts from the state it was last left in, even if I don't start the scenario from the "Previous Flight" file. In fact, I've never started a flight from the previous flight savefile; I always load a new airplane, new airport start point, and a new time and click "Start Flight". My concern is mostly related to the panel state autosaves. For example, yesterday, I flew a quick pattern around an airport in the updated PMDG 777 to test it out. I landed, decided I was happy enough to do a full flight, and quit right after landing. When I started the next flight, the panel state (at gate) was the exact same as the post-landing state I left that test flight in. Engines on, FMC filled, etc. etc. This is despite having told the 777 to initialize itself in the "Long Turnaround" state. This ended up causing a Program Pin Error in the FMC where certain features weren't available.

A workaround to this is to manually go into the airplane's panel state folder and delete the state files associated with "Previous Flight" - I only posted this question to find out if there was any way to avoid having to do this before every new flight. 

Thanks for your response, look forward to hearing back!

Strange that the aircraft would detect the newly saved files without you explicitly loading that flight. Are they not saved with "Previous Flight" as the name? If so, then the programmers of that aircraft must have know that those would be only associated with a flight of that name.

From what you say, it sounds like you can never save a flight to start the sim from somewhere different because the aircraft would then always be loaded with settings you don't necessarily want. That seems crazy to me. And if the "Previous flight" saved files were really the problem then either the PMDG 777 sold so few copies that you are the only one to decide to post here, or it is something else entirely you are suffering from. I know what I'd bet on.

Anyway, you can try adding SavePreviousFlight=No to the [General] section in the FSUIPC INI file. I think that option is still there.

Pete