The simFlight Network Forums

EpicInfo & programming question

Hi Pete,

As I understand it: EpicInfo reads the analogs from the epic card with the "_GetAnalogs(handle,analogs);" command from the EPIC SDK and then sends them to FS using FSUIPC. Correct ?

If so, to what offset do you write them ? 0BB2 or 3328

2nd Question:

How did you program the interface with the FlightLink KR-1 radiostack ?

(And could I have a peek at the sourcecode)

The reason i'm asking all this, is that I have to intercept all the analogs & buttons from the Epic card, for a reinterpretation in my program, and then send them to FS. So far it all works, but we still need EpicInfo for our radiostack to work.. and EpicInfo conflicts with my program regarding analogs & button sending.

So it's either shutting down any analog processing in EpicInfo and only use it for the radiostack

or

Make an interface in my program for the radiostack

Thanks,

Van Ertvelde Wim

As I understand it: EpicInfo reads the analogs from the epic card with the "_GetAnalogs(handle,analogs);" command from the EPIC SDK and then sends them to FS using FSUIPC. Correct ?

Normally analogs are connected direct to FS by its own assignments. That's especially true for Elevator. Why do you think otherwise? There are some special setting facilities in EpicInfo for use with POVs and soft axes, but not for real axes. EPICINFO is primarily an output module, for use with displays. That was its original function.

Also, all this dates back to the ISA EPIC and my EPIC VXD. there was no EPIC SDK then and no "GetAnalogs" function for sure.

How did you program the interface with the FlightLink KR-1 radiostack ?

The interface is a combination of EPICINFO (for displays) and normal FS assignments (for inputs), using POVs for radio frequencies and so forth. I only added the POV stuff to EPICINFO for FS2002 and later because when FS changed to DirectInput is messed the normal assignment of POVs up completely. In FS95, FS98 and FS2000 (yes, EPICINFO has been around for all of those), every single input to FS was by assignments in the FS CFG file, and EPICINFO was exactly as it's name ssuggests -- info to EPIC.

Most of the specific stuff for the KR-1 was EPL derived from the EPL for the TR-1, and pretty much none of what I wrote originally is compatible with today's USB EPICs and new EPL syntax and facilities. It was all re-written for the new stuff by Ralph of R&R. I don't do any EPL programming now and would probably be quite bemused by what my own code has become!

Regards,

Pete

So, what would be the best way to send analogs to Fs ?

Ideally, through the HID and normal assignments, as then you have Windows calibration, FS sensitivity settings and FSUIPC Joystick facilities at your disposal. If, for some odd reason, you cannot use the normal joystick interface then you can still send the values as the appropriate Axis controls, via FSUIPCs offset 3110. This bypasses Windows calibration and FS assignment and sensitivity, but will retain the FSUIPC options.

The facility to write directy to the control values themselves affords no reassignment, no calibration, nothing. You have to do all that yourself. This is the way external and some sophisticated panels control those things for either Autopilot use of "fly-by-Wire". If you don't want to use any such sophisticated panel or external system (like Project Magenta) for example, then by all means write to the FSUIPC control locations (0BB2 etc). You bypass everything then.

0BB2 offset

3110 offset

3328 offset

I'm having troubles to understand the differences between them

I don't know why, as they are all surely described in entirely different words? For even more different words:

0BB2 is the elevator control value, the final control sent to the actuator.

3110 is a facility for sending any of the Controls listed in my Controls List, and otherwise identical to assigning these in FS Assignments or FS CFG file.

3328 Is a READ-ONLY area showing the axis input value which would have gone to the control value if not disconnected by 310A. As described, it is this which allows Fly-by-Wire implementations -- the FBW module can diconnect the input value from the control value, read the former, manipulate is as it likes, and then forward it.

Regards,

Pete