The simFlight Network Forums

"Control to repeat while held"

Hello:

I have the Thrustmaster throttle quadrant.  Since I fly the PMDG 747 and quadrant only has two thrust handles, I have throttle button #15 set to "Throttle2 Decr" & "Throttle4 Decr" for thrust reverse of engine 2 & 4.

However, when I active thrust reverse, only engine #2 goes into reverse.  I think it's because there is only 1 option to "Control to repeat..."

Any ideas how I get engine #4 to reverse?

Thanks,

Aaron Ortega

FSUIPC.jpg

9 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

I have the Thrustmaster throttle quadrant.  Since I fly the PMDG 747 and quadrant only has two thrust handles, I have throttle button #15 set to "Throttle2 Decr" & "Throttle4 Decr" for thrust reverse of engine 2 & 4.

However, when I active thrust reverse, only engine #2 goes into reverse.  I think it's because there is only 1 option to "Control to repeat..."

This is because you have assigned your button press to Throttle2 Decrement, and the button release to the throttle 4 decrement. With repeat, it is the press control that is repeated until you release, and then the release control is sent. So it will be decreasing throttle 2 while the button is pressed, and then sending just one control to decrease throttle 4 when released.

To assign multiple controls to a button, you do this by editing the ini.
First, remove the throttle 4 decrement  control on release and then close the assignment panel (click 'Ok'). Then open your FSUIPC ini file and find that assignment and comment it out (by putting a semi-colon character ';' in front of it). Open up the button assignment panel again and 'Reload all buttons'. Then assign the same button to the throttle4 decrement control on press with repeat (and no release) and them close the panel again. by clicking 'OK'. Open the FSUIPC ini file again and uncomment the line previous commented out, making sure the index numbers are still unique and alter of not. Once thats done and saved, you can go back to the buttons assignment panel and reload all buttons again. You will now have both controls assigned to that button on repeat. Note that you will only see one assignment in the UI panel and it will be grayed out. To alter or change it again, you need to edit the FSUIPC ini file.

18 hours ago, John Dowson said:

This is because you have assigned your button press to Throttle2 Decrement, and the button release to the throttle 4 decrement. With repeat, it is the press control that is repeated until you release, and then the release control is sent. So it will be decreasing throttle 2 while the button is pressed, and then sending just one control to decrease throttle 4 when released.

To assign multiple controls to a button, you do this by editing the ini.
First, remove the throttle 4 decrement  control on release and then close the assignment panel (click 'Ok'). Then open your FSUIPC ini file and find that assignment and comment it out (by putting a semi-colon character ';' in front of it). Open up the button assignment panel again and 'Reload all buttons'. Then assign the same button to the throttle4 decrement control on press with repeat (and no release) and them close the panel again. by clicking 'OK'. Open the FSUIPC ini file again and uncomment the line previous commented out, making sure the index numbers are still unique and alter of not. Once thats done and saved, you can go back to the buttons assignment panel and reload all buttons again. You will now have both controls assigned to that button on repeat. Note that you will only see one assignment in the UI panel and it will be grayed out. To alter or change it again, you need to edit the FSUIPC ini file.

Thank you so much.  I was able to follow your advice but had to slightly revise the steps because the ini kept deleting whatever I put the ";" in front of.  I'll explain a little later the steps I took incase anyone else needs help. 

3 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

I was able to follow your advice but had to slightly revise the steps because the ini kept deleting whatever I put the ";" in front of.

Yes, sorry. You have to put the ';' after the entry number, not at the start of the line - you can then just remove it afterwards - from the Advanced User Guide:

You can add comments following a semicolon (;) at the end of the line, and these will be retained. You can also insert
lines containing only comments, but they need an <Entry number> too, otherwise they may not retain their relative
position. Comments can contain up to 63 characters—longer ones will be truncated if and when the [Buttons] section is
re-written by FSUIPC.