The simFlight Network Forums

USB HID weirdness: after adding a device, access to other devices is lost

aurel42

Hi,

when I connect my yoke to my system, FSUIPC cannot "see" my pedals any longer. The pedals are working when I look at them using the Windows "Game Controllers" dialog.

gamecontrollers.png.fe17c6f6f463ece75430f8445736ed90.png

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
Y=CLSE NG Yoke
Y.GUID={BBAB7FA0-EC23-11E9-8003-444553540000}
J=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
J.GUID={BBAB5890-EC23-11E9-8001-444553540000}
T=Throttle - HOTAS Warthog
T.GUID={BBAB7FA0-EC23-11E9-8004-444553540000}
0=CLSE NG Yoke
0.GUID={BBAB7FA0-EC23-11E9-8003-444553540000}
1=Joystick - HOTAS Warthog
1.GUID={BBAB5890-EC23-11E9-8001-444553540000}
2=Throttle - HOTAS Warthog
2.GUID={BBAB7FA0-EC23-11E9-8004-444553540000}
P=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >> << MISSING JOYSTICK >>
A=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >> << MISSING JOYSTICK >>
B=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >> << MISSING JOYSTICK >>

(P are the pedals, A is a custom throttle quadrant I removed after the problem started, B is another "instance" of the yoke (Y) that showed up temporarily during testing)

If I read the log correctly, the pedals and the Warthog joystick are using the same GUID.

I tried a couple of things, among them: removing all the USB HIDs and Game controllers in the device manager, disconnecting rarely used devices (gamepad, Bodnar-based throttle quadrant), reconnecting the active devices to different USB ports, starting FSUIPC with an empty JoyNames section, and rebooting a lot between steps.

Any idea what could be wrong, any advice?

Thanks,
Marc

FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC7 - Copy.log FSUIPC7.ini

8 hours ago, aurel42 said:

If I read the log correctly, the pedals and the Warthog joystick are using the same GUID.
I tried a couple of things, among them: removing all the USB HIDs and Game controllers in the device manager, disconnecting rarely used devices (gamepad, Bodnar-based throttle quadrant), reconnecting the active devices to different USB ports, starting FSUIPC with an empty JoyNames section, and rebooting a lot between steps.

Yes they are using the same ID. Looks like your registry is in a bit of a mess and will need cleaning.

11 hours ago, aurel42 said:

Well, this is what I would advise you to try first! To be clear, you should:
    - disconnect all your devices
    - uninstall all devices + drivers from those devices from the Windows device manager, AND any supporting software for those devices
    - reboot and re-connect your devices to see what you get

If that is what you have done, then the next stage is to remove some of your registry entries. Before doing this, I need some more information given by additional logging, so please go to the FSUIPC7 Log -> Custom... menu option and enter x200000. Then close down FSUIPC7 and restart it (with all your devices connected), and then close down again, and show me the latest .log and .ini files.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aurel42 said:

I'm familiar with regedit, just point me to the keys that need to go.

save the following as a .reg file (e.g. removeDevices.reg) and use this (take a backup first!):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_25BB&PID_008B]
[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_25BB&PID_008B]

[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0402]
[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_044F&PID_0402]

[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0404]
[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_044F&PID_0404]

[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_068E&PID_00F2]
[-HKCU\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_068E&PID_00F2]

[-HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_25BB&PID_008B]
[-HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_25BB&PID_008B]

[-HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0402]
[-HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_044F&PID_0402]

[-HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_044F&PID_0404]
[-HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_044F&PID_0404]

[-HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_068E&PID_00F2]
[-HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_068E&PID_00F2]

Before you edit the registry, do as before - disconnect all your devices, uninstall all drivers/software and reboot. And best to reboot again after the registry update, then connect your devices. Maybe run FSUIPC after doing this, and before installing any specific software or drivers first, to see if they are recognised by the windows default drivers. if not, you can then install any drivers/software that you use for these devices.

Your GUIDs and joy letters will probably have changed again, but we can sort that out once all your devices are recognised. May be  better to rename your current FSUIPC7.ini file (e.g. FSUIPC7.ini.original) so that a new one is created. If you post that + your FSUIPC7.log file after doing this, I'll take a look to see what changes need to be made to your original ini to re-instate your original settings.

• Like 1

The provided reg file didn't quite do the trick, but after cleaning out all the VID/PID keys from the two registry folders (and there were quite a few, most of them historical cruft), FSUIPC does not complain about duplicate GUIDs any longer. \o/ (Also, this was when the yoke stopped getting two separate GUIDs.)

I reassigned my custom joystick letters and all four devices are behaving perfectly in the FSUIPC Axes and Buttons dialogs.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!