The simFlight Network Forums

WASM module not installed - version 7.1.1

Esteban

Do you have a steam or MS Store version? The installer thinks you have a steam version, but cannot open this file:

Cannot open file C:\Users\Esteban\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt

The strange thing is that that file is detected as being present, but cannot be opened for reading. Maybe check the permissions on that file. Do you run MSFS using admin privileges?

Alternatively, you can use the following - just unzip in your MSFS Community folder and it should be picked-ip the next time you run FSUIPC7: fsuipc-lvar-module.zip

Esteban, seems like you ran the installation file straight from within the compressed archive, it's running from the local temporary cache and that's quite messy. Also, temporary caches are often a delicate story regarding permissions.
Before starting the installation I suggest you unzip all of the downloaded archive content.
Once you do it start the installation from the unpacked .exe installer.

7 hours ago, Milan Putnik said:

Esteban, seems like you ran the installation file straight from within the compressed archive,

Yes, I hadn't noticed that (thanks Milan):

Running in folder 'C:\Users\Esteban\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa9020.14547\Install_FSUIPC7'

You must extract the contents of the zip before running the installer.

May I follow up on this please: I have a similar issue, maybe caused by my non-standard "Official" and "Community" folder paths? Both are located at E:\MSFS2020.

Copying the content of your posted fsuipc-lvar-module.zip to the Community folder worked. However, I can enable WASM in the FSUIPC menu, but all other options (like "List Lvars", "Set Lvar...") are inop. 

Karl

InstallFSUIPC7.zip

1 hour ago, kaha said:

May I follow up on this please: I have a similar issue, maybe caused by my non-standard "Official" and "Community" folder paths? Both are located at E:\MSFS2020.

That shouldn't be a problem - that is quite a standard set-up - same as mine in fact!

You do have the same issue though - your Community folder location could not be determined as it found your UsrCfg.opt file but could not open it:

Determing Community folder for MS Store install
Cannot open file C:\Users\kaha\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

1 hour ago, kaha said:

I can enable WASM in the FSUIPC menu, but all other options (like "List Lvars", "Set Lvar...") are inop. 

Did you load an aircraft and get to the 'ready-to-fly' state? The WASM menu entries are not enabled when in the menu system.

• Upvote 1

Thank you John, that was it. I did not finish to load the flight. Once in the cockpit it works.

The installation doesn't work, though. I reinstalled with admin rights, to no avail. Anyway, using your .zip file it works.

Karl

5 hours ago, kaha said:

The installation doesn't work, though. I reinstalled with admin rights, to no avail. Anyway, using your .zip file it works.

The installer (well, windows) will automatically request admin rights when you run it.

The problem looks to be with the permissions on your UserCfg.opt file.

Hello John,

Just to share my experience: I had the same problem, FSUIPC didn't want to install WASM with the same message in the log file. I repeated the installation several times and at third time I think it succeeded - everything went through and was correctly installed. The main difference is that first time I was installing over the beta version, second time I first uninstalled 7.1.0 and then run installation again, and third time I installed over 7.1.0 and that is the one that work. It's just a data point - I don't think it is the real reason why it reports sometimes that the file cannot be opened. 

Two other data point is that location C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache is a junction in my case - it is not directly present on this path but on something like D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-3016514674-886718977-4221065685-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache - that is the location where AppStore installs games on my machine. In my case that other directory is on different drive. Normally I don't see why this should make any issue as for Windows both should be the same.

Nenad

23 minutes ago, Nenad Bogojevic said:

Two other data point is that location C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache is a junction in my case - it is not directly present on this path but on something like D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-3016514674-886718977-4221065685-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache - that is the location where AppStore installs games on my machine. In my case that other directory is on different drive. Normally I don't see why this should make any issue as for Windows both should be the same.

Yes, I think this is the issue i.e. LocalCache being a link/junction (and onto a different drive). But they should be the same when accessed through windows, or I would assume so, but this doesn't seem to be the case, as you say.

26 minutes ago, Nenad Bogojevic said:

I had the same problem, FSUIPC didn't want to install WASM with the same message in the log file. I repeated the installation several times and at third time I think it succeeded - everything went through and was correctly installed. The main difference is that first time I was installing over the beta version, second time I first uninstalled 7.1.0 and then run installation again, and third time I installed over 7.1.0 and that is the one that work. It's just a data point - I don't think it is the real reason why it reports sometimes that the file cannot be opened. 

That's interesting but I don't understand why it succeeded the third time. The difference when uninstalling first is that your current installation settings (i.e. previous installation folder and auto-start method) will not be preserved. However, this shouldn't affect determining the location of your Community folder.

Unfortunately I don't think there is much I can do about this. I check if the file exists, and if it does I open it to read the location of the Community folder.
I can update to show a message to the user when this error occurs, and I'll add some information on this issue and how to resolve to the Installation and Registration manual.

Thanks,

John

I've updated the installer and done some more tests, and it seems that the UserCfg.opt file could not be opened for reading on a clean installation in any circumstances. I don't understand why. However, if I try a second time to read the file, it works ok. Its very strange, but I have updated the installer to handle this. I will release this with 7.1.1 in a few days.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 1:33 PM, John Dowson said:

I've updated the installer and done some more tests, and it seems that the UserCfg.opt file could not be opened for reading on a clean installation in any circumstances. I don't understand why. However, if I try a second time to read the file, it works ok. Its very strange, but I have updated the installer to handle this. I will release this with 7.1.1 in a few days.

John, yes, and I was just about to share the issue with the installer's access to UserCfg.opt file actually every time on the first run as you also noticed.
I've realized that 2-3 days ago, yet had to hop on a short flight this weekend and it's been quite a busy time.