The simFlight Network Forums

Can FSUIPC 6 help with Logitech Yoke short travel and sensitivity issues?

Hello,

I own a copy of FSUIPC 5, and am looking into getting FSUIPC 6, in order for it to be compatible with my P3Dv5 installation. I have a couple questions about its benefits, as I was not able to get the previous version to work correctly with my cheap Logitech yoke and pedals, most likely because I did not know what I was doing 🙂

Is it true that FSUIPC 6 can help with the short travel of Logitech Yokes. Not sure if travel is the correct term, but the issue is that the smallest movement of the yoke translates into too much movement in the sim. Almost as if there should be a curve in terms of how much pressure is actually translated from the yoke travel to the sim.

Can FSUIPC 6 also help with brakes after touchdown? The fact that there are two separate brakes is causing me to skid in one direction if there is the smallest difference between the pressure I apply between the two brakes. How do fellow flight simmers deal with this issue? Does FSUIPC fine tune the sensitivity of the brakes for me?

Thank you for your time and help!

10 hours ago, PythonFlightSim said:

I own a copy of FSUIPC 5, and am looking into getting FSUIPC 6, in order for it to be compatible with my P3Dv5 installation. I have a couple questions about its benefits, as I was not able to get the previous version to work correctly with my cheap Logitech yoke and pedals, most likely because I did not know what I was doing

The logitech yoke and pedals are probably the most common yoke/pedals out there. Thats also what I used until recently, and it shouldn't be a problem setting them up on FSUIPC5. The assignments in FSUIPC6 are the same as in FSUIPC5. You should consult the User Guide, section The Easy Step-by-Step Way to Calibrate Your Controls.

Is it true that FSUIPC 6 can help with the short travel of Logitech Yokes. Not sure if travel is the correct term, but the issue is that the smallest movement of the yoke translates into too much movement in the sim. Almost as if there should be a curve in terms of how much pressure is actually translated from the yoke travel to the sim.

You should be able to calibrate to use the full  range of your yoke. Calibration "slopes" are lso provided, so that you can make it more or less sensitive  at different stages of travel. This is also available in FSUIPC5.

Can FSUIPC 6 also help with brakes after touchdown? The fact that there are two separate brakes is causing me to skid in one direction if there is the smallest difference between the pressure I apply between the two brakes. How do fellow flight simmers deal with this issue? Does FSUIPC fine tune the sensitivity of the brakes for me?

Yes, brake calibration facilities are also provided. However, we don't allow you to sync left/right brakes - they are differential brakes after all. But you should be able to calibrate so that they useable.

Really, its is best to just try. You could try setting your yoke/brakes up with P3Dv5/FSUIPC5 first. Otherwise, I could supply you with a trial/time-limit license to try FSUIPC6 if you prefer.

@John Dowson Thank you for the very detailed reply! Went ahead and bought the upgrade to version 6. I know its not much, and I thank you for your hard work and time over the years.

I set up the axes by using the Direct to FSUIPC calibration option, and everything seems to be working great so far! The calibration slopes you mentioned might be the ticket I am looking for in terms of a pressure curve.

Have a great day 🙂

13 hours ago, PythonFlightSim said:

Thank you for the very detailed reply! Went ahead and bought the upgrade to version 6. I know its not much, and I thank you for your hard work and time over the years.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, PythonFlightSim said:

I set up the axes by using the Direct to FSUIPC calibration option, and everything seems to be working great so far! The calibration slopes you mentioned might be the ticket I am looking for in terms of a pressure curve.

Ok, thats good. For overly sensitive controls, some folks have also found that extending the range of the axis, so that you get less movement in the sim, works for them. You can do this by editing the ini. So, for example, this is my Rudder calibration entry (in the [JoystickCalibration] section, and also any [JoystickCalibration.<profile>] sections:
      Rudder=-16384,-650,768,16255
If I extend the max/min entries thus:
      Rudder=-20384,-650,768,20255
you then get less travel in the sim for that axis. The downside, of course, is that you loose the full range of the axis. Some people find this useful, but it depends on the controls and aircraft. Just FYI, something else to try if curves on their own don't give you what you need.