The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC Application Error when MSFS exits

zap737

1 hour ago, zap737 said:

I am getting this error when MSFS 2020 exits

Could you show me your FSUIPC7.ini and your 4 lua files (FCU_Speed/Hdg/Alt/VS.lua) and I'll see if I can repeat here. If I can't reproduce, we can try adding extra logging to track down where this is occurring. Its nothing to worry about though, as FSUIPC7 will be exiting anyway.

Does it occur every time? Are you using the stable od dev version of the FBW A32NX?

You are not starting your luas from the [Auto] section - are you starting them from your ipcReady.lua file?
If so, can you please also show me that file as well.
Its probably better to start them from an[Auto] section, but it still should not give that error - although I don't know if this is related at the moment.

Also, can you try with the FBW stable (and maybe development) version, to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, zap737 said:

Yes it does happen every time on exit but the Lua files work fine.

Exiting from in a flight or from the MSFS main menu?
I have tested using your scripts with the FBW dev and stable and still cannot reproduce.

Are you updating lvars from the WASM (the default) or from the client? I'm updating from the client at the moment - I'll switch to using the internal WASM update mechanism (the default) to see if the issue lies there....

8 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

I'll switch to using the internal WASM update mechanism (the default) to see if the issue lies there....

No, still can't reproduce this error....
Could you activate logging for Extras on FSUIPC, and also activate Debug logging in the WAPI by adding this line to the [WAPI] section of your FSUIPC7.ini file:
    LogLevel=Debug

Could you also have the logging console open when you close down (Log -> Open Console), and let me know what the last message logged is when that error appears.
Send me the log and let me know when the error occured.

Once thats done, you couldalso try switching to updating lvars from the client (if not doing that already), by adding this line to the [WAPI] section of your FSUIPC7.ini file:
    LvarUpdateFrequency=6
(that is for 6 updates per second). You should also disable updates from the WASM by setting the following in your FSUIPC_WASM.ini - either in your Packages folder, if you have an FSUIPC_WASM.ini file there, or under the fsuipc-lvar-wasm folder (in your MSFS Community folder) if not):
    LvarUpdateFrequency=Off

This is just to help me track down where the issue lies. It could be a timing problem with SimConnect when closing down (and probably in the WAPI code). Thanks.

Hi John,

I changed the start of the lua files to [Auto] in the ini file.

Some interim findings.

For both the Dev and Stable versions of the A32NX, when I exit to the main menu then exit to desktop there is no error message.

However, when I exit a flight using Alt-F4 without going back to the main menu, then I get the error.

I am not au fait with the client side of things but I will attempt to do what you asked.

Also, when I install FSUIPC and ensure a tick is placed in the "Start with MSFS" box, I find that FSUIPC does not start with MSFS.  I have checked the Exe.xml (attached) and all seems ok there.  The only way I can get it to automatically start with MSFS is to edit out the comments in the bat file.

Any ideas on this one ?

EXE.xml

43 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Could you activate logging for Extras on FSUIPC, and also activate Debug logging in the WAPI by adding this line to the [WAPI] section of your FSUIPC7.ini file:
    LogLevel=Debug

Could you also have the logging console open when you close down (Log -> Open Console), and let me know what the last message logged is when that error appears.
Send me the log and let me know when the error occured.

Ok so I did this part and I still get the error, but when I hit Alt-F4, the console window closed too quickly for me to catch the last message but I have attached the log file for you

FSUIPC7.log

43 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Once thats done, you couldalso try switching to updating lvars from the client (if not doing that already), by adding this line to the [WAPI] section of your FSUIPC7.ini file:
    LvarUpdateFrequency=6
(that is for 6 updates per second). You should also disable updates from the WASM by setting the following in your FSUIPC_WASM.ini - either in your Packages folder, if you have an FSUIPC_WASM.ini file there, or under the fsuipc-lvar-wasm folder (in your MSFS Community folder) if not):
    LvarUpdateFrequency=Off

So I did this part as well and I get the same error again when I hit Alt F4.   Log file attached.

FSUIPC7.log

23 minutes ago, zap737 said:

However, when I exit a flight using Alt-F4 without going back to the main menu, then I get the error.

Ok - I haven't tried with Alt-F4, I'll do that, but presume its the same as closing by quiting thw MSFS main window. Does the same happen when quitting MSFS from FSUIPC (using the MSFS -> Exit oprion)?

11 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Ok so I did this part but when I hit Alt-F4, the console window closed too quickly for me to catch the last message

Doesn't the logging pause when the pop-up error is displayed? Is that displayed before or after the console log window closes?

26 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Also, when I install FSUIPC and ensure a tick is placed in the "Start with MSFS" box, I find that FSUIPC does not start with MSFS.  I have checked the Exe.xml (attached) and all seems ok there. 

The Exe.xml looks fine. From what folder is it located? Presume you have a MS Store version, and it is under C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache, no?
You could try switching to using the SimConnect document type rather than Launch (as I have seen that this is used quite often). Please change your EXE.xml file to the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="WINDOWS-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document version="1,0" Type="SimConnect">
  <Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
  <Filename>EXE.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
        <Disabled>False</Disabled>
        <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
        <Name>FSUIPC7</Name>
        <Path>C:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe</Path>
        <CommandLine>-auto</CommandLine>
        <NewConsole>False</NewConsole>
  </Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

If that doesn't work, I have no idea why MSFS is not picking this file up and auto-starting FSUIPC7, sorry.

8 minutes ago, zap737 said:

So I did this part as well and I get the same error again when I hit Alt F4.   Log file attached.

Ok, thanks. What about when exiting MSFS from FSUIPC7?

Also, can you let me know when this pop-up error occurs, and what happens when it does. Does the FSUIPC7 window/icon and console window disappear before this message is display, or after?

I'm going to try closing with Alt-F4 now to see if that makes a difference....

• John Dowson changed the title to FSUIPC Application Error when MSFS exits
22 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

The Exe.xml looks fine. From what folder is it located? Presume you have a MS Store version, and it is under C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache, no?
You could try switching to using the SimConnect document type rather than Launch (as I have seen that this is used quite often). Please change your EXE.xml file to the following:

Yes it is in that path but I do have MSFS installed to a separate drive so the C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe part is on my C drive and then it puts a shortcut to localcache from the c drive to the separate hard drive, but yes the path is the same.

The simconnect version did not work.

47 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Does the same happen when quitting MSFS from FSUIPC (using the MSFS -> Exit oprion)?

Yes.

Doesn't the logging pause when the pop-up error is displayed? Is that displayed before or after the console log window closes?

No.  MSFS disappears, then the logging closes, then the FSUIPC interface disappears, then the pop up error displays.

What about when exiting MSFS from FSUIPC7?

Same problem exactly.  Log attached....

Also, can you let me know when this pop-up error occurs, and what happens when it does. Does the FSUIPC7 window/icon and console window disappear before this message is display, or after?

MSFS disappears, then the logging closes, then the FSUIPC interface disappears, then the pop up error displays.

40 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

I'm going to try closing with Alt-F4 now to see if that makes a difference....

Nope, still no error for me....very strange....

Well I'm stumped !!

FSUIPC7.log

6 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Yes it is in that path but I do have MSFS installed to a separate drive so the C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe part is on my C drive and then it puts a shortcut to localcache from the c drive to the separate hard drive, but yes the path is the same.

So the EXE.xml is in the linked folder? It should still work - it is quite a standard set-up, I have MSFS also installed on a separate drive.
I think you need to raise a support request for Asobo for this, sorry.

2 minutes ago, zap737 said:

No.  MSFS disappears, then the logging closes, then the FSUIPC interface disappears, then the pop up error displays.

Ok, thats helpful but also very strange as that means it occurring after everything else has closed down....

3 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Well I'm stumped !!

Me too!

Can you try disabling/unchecking  the 'Exit with FS' option. Then when MSFS closes FSUIPC should stay open. Once MSFS has closed, give it a few seconds and then exit FSUIPC.
If you do this, do you still get the error, and if so, when?

10 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Can you try disabling/unchecking  the 'Exit with FS' option. Then when MSFS closes FSUIPC should stay open. Once MSFS has closed, give it a few seconds and then exit FSUIPC.
If you do this, do you still get the error, and if so, when?

OK I waited quite a while after MSFS shut down with Alt F4 - well after the cockpit noises stopped - then I exited FSUIPC from the tray icon.  Then after about 3 seconds the error popped up.

John it's close to midnight here in Australia so I will have to sign off.

Thanks for your help but I have work arounds for both problems.

I can try some more things if you want to tomorrow.

regards,

Peter

41 minutes ago, zap737 said:

OK I waited quite a while after MSFS shut down with Alt F4 - well after the cockpit noises stopped - then I exited FSUIPC from the tray icon.  Then after about 3 seconds the error popped up.

That is very strange....I've really no idea what is causing this....Does it also occur if you start FSUIPC7 (without MSFS) and then exit?

42 minutes ago, zap737 said:

John it's close to midnight here in Australia so I will have to sign off.

Yes, no problem!

42 minutes ago, zap737 said:

Thanks for your help but I have work arounds for both problems.

Yes, they are both quite minor. There is nothing I can do about the exe.xml file not working (as it is in the correct format and in the correct place), so you will need Asobo support for that one. This has also been reported before and I couldn't determine why for those cases, so advised to switch back to the old method (i.e. starting FSUIPC7 from the MSFS.bat file, as you now do).

44 minutes ago, zap737 said:

I can try some more things if you want to tomorrow.

I'm not sure what else you can try...I think I'll have to build a special version for you to try with more logging added to the shutdown sequence to see if I can determine where this error is coming from. I'll post an updated FSUIPC7.exe for you to try tomorrow.

Cheers - and good night!

John

I'm not sure any additional logging is going to help. There are quite a few reports of this error on google.
Some things to try:
   - if using an in-game overlay (e.g. GeForce experience, etc), then maybe try disabling that
   - check you are up-to-date with the latest windows updates
   - update your .Net framework
   - run the system file checker (run the command sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt)
   - check your windows Virtual Memory settings

Have you always had this error or is this something new? If new, do you know when it started (i.e. after a windows update, an MSFS update, or an FSUIPC7 update?)

19 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Does it also occur if you start FSUIPC7 (without MSFS) and then exit?

No it does not occur.

18 hours ago, John Dowson said:

- if using an in-game overlay (e.g. GeForce experience, etc), then maybe try disabling that

I disabled it and no difference

check you are up-to-date with the latest windows updates

Yes up to date

update your .Net framework

I found I did not have .Net 3.5 installed but I did have 4.8 installed.  So I installed 3.5.  No difference.

run the system file checker (run the command sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt)

One of the first things i did.  No issues with resource integrity.

check your windows Virtual Memory settings

Mine is system managed on the C drive with 9.7 GB allocated (I have 64 GB of ram)

Have you always had this error or is this something new?

Version 7.1 seemed fine.  Just started with 7.2

Can you try with the attached version please. This will not solve your problem, but will provide additional logging so I can track down where/when this error occurs, although I suspect it may be happening outside of my control....

With this version, can toy please check the contents of the FSUIPC7.log file when you get the pop-up error, and before you acknowledge it. I would like to know what the last message you see in the log is, before you acknowledge the pop-up error message. Thanks.

FSUIPC7.exe

Hi John,

Please note, I had already deleted the changes you had asked me to previously make below.

LogLevel=Debug
LvarUpdateFrequency=6

LvarUpdateFrequency=Off

So I used your new FSUIPC.exe without those entries above...

The console log showed as below before I acknowledged pop up......

Console Started ...

216938  3616 === FSUIPC has been stopped
   216984  3616 === FSUIPC main window destroyed
   216984  3616 === FSUIPC window hooks removed
   216984  3616 === Critical sections deleted
   216984  3616 === Closing log file....Bye!
   216984 System time = 17/06/2021 21:01:49
   216984  3616 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Minimum frame rate was 26.7 fps, Maximum was 117.2 fps
Average frame rate for running time of 157 secs = 65.9 fps
Maximum AI traffic for session was 47 aircraft
Traffic deletions 0 aircraft
Memory managed: 27 Allocs, 26 Freed
********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

FSUIPC log also attached

FSUIPC7.log

Just now, zap737 said:

Please note, I had already deleted the changes you had asked me to previously make below.

LogLevel=Debug
LvarUpdateFrequency=6

LvarUpdateFrequency=Off

So I used your new FSUIPC.exe without those entries above...

No problem with that.

2 minutes ago, zap737 said:

The console log showed as below before I acknowledged pop up......

Ok, then as suspected the error is being displayed by windows after FSUIPC has exited but before the process has finally stopped. I'm afraid that there isn't anything I can do about this.

3 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Ok, then as suspected the error is being displayed by windows after FSUIPC has exited but before the process has finally stopped. I'm afraid that there isn't anything I can do about this.

OK no problem.   It is probably something particular with my system.  Anyway, I have a good work around.  Thanks again.