The simFlight Network Forums

MSFS not recognizing FSUIPC button/switch settings

jmig

I am having all sorts of issues with FSUIPC and MSFS. I can not seem to get MSFS to use the button and switch settings. I have the same basic settings working with FSUIPC6 and P3D. However, I can set a switch or button with MSFS or Lorby Axis and Ohs and they work. Do the same thing in FSUIPC7 and the switches do not work in game, even though I can see them in the ini. It is frustrating. I don't want to use MSFS or Lorby to set switches. I have been using FSUIPC at least since FSX, maybe longer.

I have attached the ini and log files. 

Thanks,

John

InstallFSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log

13 hours ago, jmig said:

Do the same thing in FSUIPC7 and the switches do not work in game, even though I can see them in the ini. It is frustrating.

Is this for all your devices?
You have one missing device:

H=F16 MFD 1 << MISSING JOYSTICK >>
H.GUID={C3A18DB0-AFDD-11EB-800D-444553540000}

and one 'new' device with no assignments:

M=Virtual Joystick
M.GUID={79068470-BE30-11EB-8001-444553540000}

Do you still have that missing device, and what is the new virtual device?

Other than that, your assignments look ok. Can you activate logging for Buttons & Keys as well as Events, load a stock aircraft and try a few of your assigned buttons/switches, then closed own MSFS/FSUIPC7 and show me the FSUIPC7.log file.

Thank you John for such a rapid response. I update FSUIPV7 to 7.2.0 and ran MSFS, as suggested. At least some of the buttons seem to be working. However, none of the Camera View assignments are working. I am enclosing the log file. Unless, you find something wrong, I will assume it is on my end. I know I have a lot of controllers connected.

The reason not all of them were working is because MSFS does not like one of them. Whenever I go to Controls, something is killing MSFS. The culprit is on a new 10 usb powered hub, but I don't know which one. So I turn them off and on, trying to isolate the one killing MSFS. That is another reason I want to work as exclusively as possible with FSUIPC. It is a real PITA for me to assign MSFS controls directly.

The Virtual Joystick is a Pokeys 55 which handles direct to windows commands, i.e., WINDOWS Y. It is used mostly with DCS. I fly VR with a Reverb G2. There are no buttons or switches on it connected via usb. 

FSUIPC7.log

First, you posted a continuation log. That is of no use to me - I need to see the full log. In future, please only attach full logs - don't ever start a new log file. I am going to remove this option as it is always over used/abused.

2 hours ago, jmig said:

However, none of the Camera View assignments are working

How have you assigned the camera controls? It is known, and has been since the release of MSFS, that the provided camera control events do not work in  MSFS. This is stated in many places. To control the cameras via FSUIPC, you have to assign to the key presses that control the camera views, that are assigned by default in MSFS. Otherwise, you will have to assign in MSFS directly.

Any other issues, please let me know and show me your most recent FSUIPC7.ini and FSUIPC7.log files (not a continuation!).

Mr. Dowson, I know you see the same questions over and over. I know you get, what seems to you to be, idiot questions. I also assume that you know the various manuals almost by heart, considering how many times you have read them. Sometimes, you must feel like beating your head against a wall because of the RTFM questions asked of you by people like me. Still, as your own Mary Poppins said, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." Respect must go both ways.

I have read your manuals, at least most of them numerous times. I even have older copies of the primary and advances manuals printed. While I was once a real life pilot, flying both for USAF and as a GA pilot, I am currently going on 74 years of age. I once knew Dash-1s inside and out. Now, it is sometimes a mental struggle to learn something new. But, I try to persevered. For the record, I do not know the difference between a continuation log and a full log. I started a new log because you requested a logging of Buttons & Keys as well as Events. That in my mind suggested a new log, without all the previous stuff to confuse and obfuscate. I am sorry if I made your day harder by sending the new log. I also, was not aware of the camera controls not working in FSUIPC. That is because, as you alluded to, I have not read each and every forum post.

Since it is late where you are, I hope your day tomorrow is better. I shall continue to puddle alone. Eventually, I will figured it out. I always have in the past.

Thank you for your time and a wonderful little program you and your Dad built.

John

Hi John,

its just that the view controls have not been available since the release of MSFS. I actually haven't checked these in a while, but I presume this is still the case. You can find the current known limitations in the provided README.txt:

Limitations
===========
Currently no documentation on what key events/controls from the SimConnect API are actually working.
Many do not currently work. These include:
   - events for view control
   - events for slew control
   - events for weather

For view and slew control, you can assign in MSFS or assign in FSUIPC7 but to the default key assignments
used for view/slew control in MSFS.

Text/message/menu display facilities: may not work correctly due to issues with SimConnect_Text API function

Keyboard input is not masked, and so any key assigned in FSUIPC (via any mechanism) will also be seen by the sim.
Keyboard input is also recognised when either MSFS or FSUIPC7 have the window focus.
Not all keys are assignable - this is due to SimConnect currently only sending input events for certain keys. Please
check the MSFS SDK documentation to see what keys are available, or use FSUIPC's logging of 'Buttons & Keys' to see
if the key is recognised before assigning.

I don't expect you to read each and every forum post, but you should always read a file called README....! Of course, such information is also easily forgotten...

And i need to see the full log as this contains information I need that is not available in a continuation log, such as the FSUIPC version being used, the current loaded aircraft, any programs that re running (including lua scripts that are auto-started), etc. Just rememeber in future to always show/attach a full logfile  when you have issues or need assistance, not a continuation log.

Regards,

John

3 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Hi John,

its just that the view controls have not been available since the release of MSFS. I actually haven't checked these in a while, but I presume this is still the case. You can find the current known limitations in the provided README.txt:

I don't expect you to read each and every forum post, but you should always read a file called README....! Of course, such information is also easily forgotten...

And i need to see the full log as this contains information I need that is not available in a continuation log, such as the FSUIPC version being used, the current loaded aircraft, any programs that re running (including lua scripts that are auto-started), etc. Just rememeber in future to always show/attach a full logfile  when you have issues or need assistance, not a continuation log.

Regards,

John

I do recall reading that README some time back. I guess I just forgot about the VIEW commands. I apologize. I went back and used MSFS's key binding for all push buttons on the joystick and throttle. Included are the repositioning of the cockpit camera; FWD,BACK,LEFT,RIGHT. I use a spring loaded double throw toggle to raise and lower the eye view. This switch is set up in FSUIPC and is working fine with MSFS. I think I mentioned this before, but my goal is have all of the basic functions assigned to the same keys in both P3D and MSFS. DSC is another matter left to another day or...week. My cockpit was once a beautiful cross between a F-16 and F18. Now that I am only using virtual reality via a Reverb G2, I am having to redesign. It no longer matters that the correct switches are in the correct cockpit positions. I am trying to make sure the most needed functions are right at hand and easy to find.

I attempted to read up on the differences in running Macros and Lua scripts between FSUIPC6 & 7 last night, but I was too tired. I hope to do so today. I have a doctor's appointment later this morning. I should have time to read in his office. I use both for Profile aircraft that go beyond the basics.

I still do not understand what a FULL log is? Later today, I will start a new session and log. I will check each of the "log me" check boxes. Is that what you want? If not, please be more detailed in your needs.

What I would like from you is a YES or NO that FSUIPC is functioning correctly in MSFS. That way if an assigned button doesn't work I will know it is between MSFS and FSUIPC not FSUIPC. I can work with that and develop workarounds, as needed. These cockpit struggles help keep my old brain functioning.

I will send the log later today.

Thanks,

John

3 hours ago, John Dowson said:

20 minutes ago, jmig said:

I attempted to read up on the differences in running Macros and Lua scripts between FSUIPC6 & 7 last night, but I was too tired. I hope to do so today.

There is no difference - macros functionality in FSUIPC6 and 7 is the same, except that FSUIPC7 also allows hvars in a macro, but only with the Set command.

21 minutes ago, jmig said:

I still do not understand what a FULL log is?

It is just a complete log file, not a continuation log file, which you will get if you select the Log->New Log option - just don't use that!

21 minutes ago, jmig said:

I will check each of the "log me" check boxes. Is that what you want?

No - certainly not! That will generate a huge log file and it will be difficult to find the relevant information. Only activate logging for the logging requested - if you have issues with button assignments, log Buttons & keys and Events, nothing else.

24 minutes ago, jmig said:

What I would like from you is a YES or NO that FSUIPC is functioning correctly in MSFS.

Yes of course, apart from the known limitations...

So, if you have a problem with a button or switch assignment not working, activate logging for Buttons & keys and Events, load your aircraft, activate the button or buttons that you are having issues with, close down MSFS/FSUIPC7, and then show me your FSUIPC7.log and FSUIPC7.ini files.