The simFlight Network Forums

Weather information

bertranda

8 minutes ago, bertranda said:

would it be possible to populate the weather offset that are not used by MSFS with some information coming from 3rd party software or metar retrieve.

Would you be populating these offsets yourself, or via some third party program?
Although the information to populate the weather offsets is not available, I'm not sure its possible to write to them directly at the moment. You could try this, and if it doesn't work let me know and I can maybe look into free-ing those offsets to allow them to be used as free user offsets.
Alternatively, you could write your weather data to a free user offset area, and spoof the actual weather offsets you want to use (replacing them with the data in your user offsets) using the spoofing offset at 0024. There are a couple of recent support requests where I have shown how to use this offset to spoof data - you can take a look at this support request (for spoofing the Parking Brake offset for the A320): 

I try FSrealWX to get the weather data. This one is interesting because it is freeware and have 3 modes.

FSUIPC

Simconnect

FSUIPC + simconnect

the positive points are

- it can run at the same time as MSFS and FSUIPC without crashing itself or the other programs.

- in the status window, it can recognize the position of the aircraft and download weather around (source NOAA)

what i don't know is where all these weather information goes into FSUIPC?

I don't understand how to simulate older method of weather injection into FSUIPC.

my knowledges are too limited. I just know a little about FSUIPC  and never understood anything about simconnect

my goal is to make some legacy function like weather radar to work with MSFS without taking the information from MSFS itself but from a third party programme running in parallel.

if someone is interested in this method and have much knowledge than me, then you are welcome. 😁

Regards.

17 hours ago, bertranda said:

I try FSrealWX to get the weather data. This one is interesting because it is freeware and have 3 modes.

FSUIPC

Simconnect

FSUIPC + simconnect

the positive points are

But does it actually work with MSFS? I doubt it. There are no weather facilities currently provided by SimConnect, and as FSUIPC interfaces to MSFS via SimConnect, it is not possible to write (or read) weather data via FSUIPC for MSFS.

18 hours ago, bertranda said:

my goal is to make some legacy function like weather radar to work with MSFS without taking the information from MSFS itself but from a third party programme running in parallel.

I think you need to find a mod compatible with MSFS to do this. Looking at FSrealWX, I can find anywhere that says it supports MSFS. There are various weather mods available for MSFS, both free and payware. For example, you could try this free METAR based one: https://unrealweather.blogspot.com/2020/09/unreal-weather-live-metar-released.html

hello,

no no, I don't want to inject weather in MSFS (I'm happy with the embedded one).

the idea, is to have weather data coming from another source to populate offsets or Lvar, or whatever, the same way it was before (FSX P3D), some kind of legacy mode.

like this I could use my older addon, like weather radar to display some return, not the one from MSFS weather (since we can't do anything with it) but from another weather addon, in this case FSrealWeather (which is FS9 or FSX mode). I know the weather will not match perfectly but at least it should be roughly the same.

the idea is to see radar return on prosim ND taking the information from somewhere else than MSFS.

19 minutes ago, bertranda said:

the idea, is to have weather data coming from another source to populate offsets or Lvar, or whatever, the same way it was before (FSX P3D), some kind of legacy mode.

If you can populate free user offsets with the weather data from your 3rd party source, you can then spoof the reading of the original FSUIPC offsets to the offsets where the data is actually located. You can do this using the offset spoofing utility at offset 0024.
You will first need to get the weather data into the FSUIPC (free user) offsets, and see how they map to the existing FSUIPC weather offsets. Once thats done, I can help you set-up the spoofing of the original offsets, i.e. when anything tries to read the original offset, it will read the data from the new offset that you added to hold this data.